***Official NHL Thread***

bluenose_72

Since 1969, I have been rooting for the New York Rangers. Go Blueshirts!!

I understand that Mark Messier is back with the Rangers in a different capacity- he will serve as a special assistant to the club president Glen Sather.

Pre season is only really used to try out your prospects and guys you have on pro tryouts. Atlanta currently have Dan Fritsche, Manny Legace and Max Afinogenov on tryouts and all will be given a chance in pre season to show what they're made of. Also hope Evander Kane makes the opening night roster, the 4th overall pick has apparently looked really good in practice and at Traverse City.

Anyone want to join my fantasy nhl league on yahoo? We are in need of 2 more to make up our league of 12 by the weekend. I'll put the info on here for anyone who wants to join, first come first served

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey

I am running my usual league in yahoo for the upcoming NHL season - Draft is live online at 5pm UK time this Sunday, 27th September. At present need 4 or 5 to make up the league. Totally free of charge of course

For those that wish to join us, here are the details

You have been invited to join Willie Feg's custom league in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Hockey, The Two Towers.

In order to join the league, follow the link above or go to game front page, click the "Sign Up Now" or "Get Another Team" button and follow the links to "Join a Custom League". When prompted, enter the League ID# and password below.

League ID#: 180709

Password: vasily09

We will send you a confirmation with further details once you have completed the registration process.

--Fantasy Hockey Commissioner

• 2 weeks later...

Season has started and since I've got recordable box this year I'll be able to catch some games. Not sure who they're showing over there but I've got Washington at Boston and San Jose at Colorado. Hockey is about the only North American sport where I don't have a team. I generally prefer the Canadian teams over American ones though and think both Ottawa and Montreal look better this season in the East. Don't think Pittsburgh will repeat with some defensive losses and think Capitals will go all the way this year. Alexander the Great :praise:

Other games this weekend-

Thursday-

Montreal @ Toronto

Vancouver @ Calgary

Friday-

Florida @ Chicago

Detroit @ St Louis

Philadelphia @ Carolina

Rangers @ Pittsburgh

Saturday-

Chicago @ Florida

St Louis @ Detroit

Vancouver @ Colorado

Carolina @ Boston

Montreal @ Buffalo

Philadelphia @ New Jersey

Pittsburgh @ Islanders

Ottawa @ Rangers

Toronto @ Washington

Tampa Bay @ Atlanta

Minnesota @ Columbus

Nashville @ Dallas

Calgary @ Edmonton

San Jose @ Anaheim

Phoenix @ Los Angeles

Haven't really followed the NHL closely for awhile, but I always look out for the Stars results. Last season was a big disappointment for them, and I'm hoping they can bounce back.

Mike Ribeiro, Stephane Robidas, and Brad Richards should all be important players, and of course Brendan Morrow and Mike Modano will provide the leadership

Not the greatest record in Pre-Season by the looks of things, 3-4. Then again Pre-Season doesn't really mean all that much.

Yeah, their main problem was injuries last season, and the fact the Pacific division is so tough. There's a new coach in town, so we'll see how that works out. Tom Hicks is basically broke, so there's been rumors he's trying to sell.

Interesting game between the Sharks and Avalanches. Avalanches won it 5-2 at home with a couple of their young forwards picking up points. The big difference for them will be their new keeper Anderson who saved the game for them a number of times. San Jose really failed to take advantage of a couple of easy opportunities on the powerplay.

I support the Atlanta Thrashers and on paper, it looks like they have the best team they have had and I'm cautiously optimistic of sneaking into the play offs.

They have also just signed Maxim Afinogenov who will play with Slava Kozlov and Todd White on Saturday. Hopefully Antropov can gel well with Kaptain Kovy and Little.

Sorry mate. I looked in the first page of this section and didn't see a thread so started one up. Thrashers is an interesting choice, any particular reason? As I said hockey is one of the sports where I don't really have a team and I just like watching a good game.

Interesting to see the Flames beat Vancouver as well. Vancouver have a better looking side this year but it didn't really show. That's the good thing about North American sports, teams very rarely get a huge dominance for years (other than the damn Lakers) and any team can beat the best on any given day. That being said I think Detroit, Pittsburgh and Washington will be hard to beat.

No particular reason, like you I followed the sport(not religiously like I do now) and thought that I ought to follow a team so I chose the Thrashers. I really like the Russian players and Kovalchuk was one of my favourites. Praying that he signs a contract extension :anguish:

But Atlanta have a lot of good young talent, watch out for Zach Bogosian. He has only just turned 19 and has been given one of the "A"'s. Great offensive defenseman.

Yeah I've watched it on and off for a few years but still don't know a great deal about tactics etc. Great fun to watch though, the pace and physicality is unreal. I was actually wondering about that today because a couple of Colorado's players were 19 I think and they did well. I thought they went through the college system in the US and Canada so most would be about 21 but obviously they can also come up through youth leagues as well if they don't go to college? Do they still get put into the draft in that case or can teams sign them at an early age and play them in the AHL until they're good enough?

Yeah I've watched it on and off for a few years but still don't know a great deal about tactics etc. Great fun to watch though, the pace and physicality is unreal. I was actually wondering about that today because a couple of Colorado's players were 19 I think and they did well. I thought they went through the college system in the US and Canada so most would be about 21 but obviously they can also come up through youth leagues as well if they don't go to college? Do they still get put into the draft in that case or can teams sign them at an early age and play them in the AHL until they're good enough?

Yeh, players will play in the minor league up until they are drafted which is when they are 17/18 depending on when they were born. Most players who are drafted go back to the juniors to develop their skills and put on size. But the ones who are at the top of the draft nearly always make the team. Bogosian, was drafted 3rd overall last year and started in the NHL but went down to AHL after he broke his leg for rehab. This years top 4 have all made the opening night rosters.

Yeah just thought it was a bit strange because in other sports like football, baseball and basketball they all seem to be in their 20's because they've been through college. I saw Duchene play for Colorado today and he was the no.3 draft pick and seemed a decent player. They're drawing comparisons between him and Joe Sakic who retired the same night. They'd be lucky to get another player as good as Sakic though. I'm sure you'll be watching Evander Kane with interest as well then.

Yeh, I can't wait to see Kane play tomorrow night. I'm not expecting great things straight away, I think he'll play around 9 games then be sent back to juniors to develop, which isn't a bad thing.

TSN Link

Montreal Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov will be out four months with a torn tendon that he suffered on opening night. He isn't expected to return until after the Vancouver Olympics in February.

Nae luck...

Was he not cut by Carey Price's skate?