Playing Out From The Back

Brightside

This was discussed as part of another thread, and seemed worthy of its own discussion.

" Foderingham went short with his distribution 74% of the time & Rangers turned that into possession in St. Mirrens half 88% of the time. Ridgers relied on a long ball 100% of the time & Rangers were able to gain control of the ball 74% of the time." from therangersreport.com

Wes playing it out short appears risky at times but I think it has many advantages including increased possession, possession in more dangerous areas, pulling the opposition out of their normal positions (especially good at Ibrox, where teams tend to sit in against us) and it's entertaining/heart attack inducing!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed (tu)

Nice stats btw :)

It's a difficult position to play, and we almost need to invite the press in order to allow a player to get open. There'll be some nervy moments in the opening few weeks while we adjust to Wes and Wes to us, but it's looking promising.

Both centre halfs split and want to recieve it, midfielders come short and full backs are at the halfway line looking for a longer ball to be played with time to bring it down

This was discussed as part of another thread, and seemed worthy of its own discussion.

" Foderingham went short with his distribution 74% of the time & Rangers turned that into possession in St. Mirrens half 88% of the time. Ridgers relied on a long ball 100% of the time & Rangers were able to gain control of the ball 74% of the time." from therangersreport.com

Wes playing it out short appears risky at times but I think it has many advantages including increased possession, possession in more dangerous areas, pulling the opposition out of their normal positions (especially good at Ibrox, where teams tend to sit in against us) and it's entertaining/heart attack inducing!

It appears more risky because the goalkeeper looks to have real problems when pressed into playing it quick.

Improve that and I will be a lot happier

Not before time. Playing the ball out from the back, keeping players up the park when we are defending corners, playing two wide men constantly hugging the touchline: it's all positive IMO. We, as supporters, need to become more mature, buy into and understand the philosophy. It's been relatively plain sailing so far but there will be times when we might lose possession in dangerous areas, possibly losing goals because of it, or when we need to find a goal with time running out. We need to keep believing.

Those are excellent statistics.

While Wes certainly makes a few of us nervous with the ball at his feet, these kind of starts totally justify the approach wee are taking.

Also separates the men from the boys. Too many players in the past would turn their back on the keeper as soon as he gathered the ball forcing a punt up the park, Now they're getting the ball whether they want it or not. If they can't handle the responsibility then they're out.

Yes playing it from the back is good if it is on, there are times when it needs hoofed up the park also.

To me the Keeper has to decide better, was so so first half but the second half he plucked every corner out of the sky and looks to release it quickly and put us on the attack.

As I said , the keeper needs to make the correct decision when playing it out as it can be very costly if mistakes are made by him.

can't argue with that - ye it can be a bit nervy at times but all that pressure gained from it will pay off and has the added benefit of draining the other team, chasing the ball all the time.

can see us losing a couple of goals this season doing this but think if it does happen we just have to grin and bear it and pretty sure even manuel neuer has fucked up occasionally and he's the best in the business in that role.

Yes the keeper seems nervous at times but these stats back up Warburtons methods. I like Foderingham and I think he will become a really good keeper. Have to remember this guy has never played in front of a crowd like that and if the fans get on his back when hes trying to keep possession then whats the point. Some fans are never happy I was surprised at some of the abuse he got on Friday.

It appears more risky because the goalkeeper looks to have real problems when pressed into playing it quick.

Improve that and I will be a lot happier

Had a few heart in mouth moments with the big keeper but he was a bit better in the St midden game than he was in the Burnley match so given more game time I think things will calm down a bit ( don't think my ticker could take much more of them) it's been a lot better than watching Bell not wanting a pass back or just booting it back up the park to nobody. Heart attack loyal ??

Yes the keeper seems nervous at times but these stats back up Warburtons methods. I like Foderingham and I think he will become a really good keeper. Have to remember this guy has never played in front of a crowd like that and if the fans get on his back when hes trying to keep possession then whats the point. Some fans are never happy I was surprised at some of the abuse he got on Friday.

This.

The fans need to give the team time to master this. We don't need the clueless few accumulating any mates and putting the shits up the players.

Nothing wrong with playing it out from the back, but you have question the decision making of Wes on when exactly he should do it and when he's playing his defenders right into a mess.

If your just going to do it everytime no matter what you end looking just as stupid as Killie under Paatelainen.

What I like with the goalies short play out is it leads to us doing some counter-attacking, in the ST Mirren game guys like Law were getting the ball and running up the park which is something we have been not doing at all the last few seasons, it makes the game more exciting to watch and gives us more and better chances, in the past with guys like Neil Alexander he would wait and give the opposition time to get back and find their shape then hoof it up the park as hard as he good which in most cases led to the ball coming back at us, Cammy Bell was a bit better but still didn't like to play it short.