Barry Ferguson - Brenda got lucky.

gmcf

2 minutes ago, bordersbear said:

My point is it's easy to criticise from the sidelines. Too many armchair managers. I think the article was pretty much spot on for a change. Brenda got lucky. Think back a few months at how shite we were. Bad defending and striking cost us that game and probably a bit of inexperience on the players and management side. Also I thought Jimmy Nichol was supposed to be bringing an experienced head to the table.

Mate people pay their money and are entitled to an opinion (majority opinion I suspect).  How tolerant any fan chooses to be for what went wrong on the day is of course their decision however to claim we were unlucky is imo ridiculous. 

Bates being injured early I’ll grant you is unlucky, thereafter its failings of players/managerial ability or if to be kind decision making on the day. It’s not luck. 

1 minute ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

That statement that's being going round all week is rubbish. 

Won the game being a tactical genius. Morelos missed 2 simple chances the player he put on scored an excellent goal.

Its been over the top the reaction to Rodgers managerial genius against us.

Had we recognised they were falling to pieces in the first 15 I honestly think we’d have killed them off, recognised or been brave enough to go for the jugular.  Murphy had that boy on their right terrified and we failed to exploit that and their masterminds setup as that lad was lost. 

5 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Won the game being a tactical genius. Morelos missed 2 simple chances the player he put on scored an excellent goal.

Totally agree. We totally dominated the game after we went down to ten men but encountered our usual problem when playing against a packed defence.  They came down the park effectively once in that period and through a whole series of errors by our players, we gave the third goal away.  The substitution would have been immaterial if we hadn’t gave away third goal and then proceed to miss a golden chance at the end.  To suggest any manager can legislate for such events in his substitutions is quite honestly complete nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

I'm not sure who has been declaring Rodgers a tactical genius. I've heard that all week, typically by folk not wanting to criticise Murty.

What is factual is that when they went down to 10 men we then had numerical advantage.

Rodgers reacted to it, and his changes were effective as his sub scored and they got 3 points despite being numerically disadvantaged. Murty for whatever reason didn't react. We can talk about missed chances but the fact remains despite having the advantage we lost.

I certainly don't rate Rodgers as a genius or anything of the sort. But he made difficult decisions rather than do nothing, his decisions paid off, and I think it is fair to recognise it.

To suggest as BF has that it all just boiled down to luck is ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

Don’t normally agree with what BF says but he is dead right about the substitution issue. 

We had to either make the 1st change to dictate matters or counter what they did. We done neither from what I can recall.  

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'm not sure who has been declaring Rodgers a tactical genius. I've heard that all week, typically by folk not wanting to criticise Murty.

What is factual is that when they went down to 10 men we then had numerical advantage.

Rodgers reacted to it, and his changes were effective as his sub scored and they got 3 points despite being numerically disadvantaged. Murty for whatever reason didn't react. We can talk about missed chances but the fact remains despite having the advantage we lost.

I certainly don't rate Rodgers as a genius or anything of the sort. But he made difficult decisions rather than do nothing, his decisions paid off, and I think it is fair to recognise it.

To suggest as BF has that it all just boiled down to luck is ridiculous.

Frustratingly spot on. Our manager froze. His lack of experience is exposed in his inability to adapt to what’s unfolding.

8 minutes ago, markem said:

We had to either make the 1st change to dictate matters or counter what they did. We done neither from what I can recall.  

We didn’t have to make a change to dictate matters, we were dictating the game.   All they did was effectively sit  in.  Yes, they got a goal from a player they brought on but that was almost fully due to our car crash defending not anything else.

I will always criticise Barry as being a rent-a-gub but I do agree with some (not all) of the points raised.

I do think the red card changed the game as if it stayed 11v11 we would've won.

4 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Simunovic gets sent off. 

Rodgers brings on another striker immediately. 

Murty waits another 15 minutes to bring on Cummings. 

That's not being lucky. 

I don’t blame Murty for not subbing at that point but blame him for not subbing before then.

How many managers have you known to make sub changes when the opposition has went to 10?

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Simunovic gets sent off. 

That's not being lucky. 

Rodgers didn’t bring on another striker immediately.

If Murty had substituted Cummings earlier before we lost the goal, he would have probably been criticised for causing it by leaving us short in midfield.  It’s so much say for us to second guess decisions after the event, nor so easy at the time.

2 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

I don’t blame Murty for not subbing at that point but blame him for not subbing before then.

How many managers have you known to make sub changes when the opposition has went to 10?

I agree with you.  I thought we were losing the midfield battle towards the end of the first half and early second half.  At that point, bringing an extra midfield player on was probably the right call.  When they went down to ten men, there was no need to do it as they had effectively lost.a midfielder.

16 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Simunovic gets sent off. 

That's not being lucky. 

He did what any normal manager would do and brought on a defender - hendry. He waited 10 minutes after the red card to bring that french guy on for forrest - it wasn't quite immediately and it wasn't to replace Jozo.

End of the day (for me anyway) if Goss and our defenders (Cardoso mainly) do their fucking jobs, we win the game. 

It is hard to blame Murty for being in a position that he never saw before. You can blame board for having an inexperienced manager.

The point is that going down to ten changed the scum formation. It did galvanise them and created the situation that we don't deal well with ie breaking down a team that are defending a draw or a lead at Ibrox. On the day, that worked for them.  When you go down to ten, you have nothing to lose, but your opposition do. Dealing with expectation of winning is where we have failed before and that got to us.   BF articles are normally shit.  This one was not too bad.

Before the game, brenda insinuated that we don't deal too well with teams that play with high tempo, cited the hivs games.  I think he learned that we relish teams who want to come out and play football, as he got a bloody nose at times from us. If you play very tight against us and hit on the break, you have better success. Better defenders and defensive mids will sort that hopefully.