The Great Dane

32 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I'm sure many older fans would disagree with that.

Especially the ones that seen Baxter 

Baxter goes down as one of the greats for me but similarly to Cooper he had more than his fair share of off days I’ve been told by older Bears. One of those ones where the more time that passes by, the greater the player becomes. 

I'd say Gazza the higher quality player, he could play in any company on his day. 

Laudrup a more consistent, productive Ranger for me though. Gazza had plenty of days when he was struggling for fitness or frustrated or distracted. 

Both great players though. Having them was the equivalent of us having Eriksen and Wilshere now, unbelievable. (Tried to think of England's best cm and Wilshere was actually the best I could come up with) 

His first season especially was like dying and going to a Rangers heaven because we went up and down the country and you could see the jaws of the opposition fans hitting the ground when they realised just how high we had raised the bar :Fod:.

He was just the perfect signing because despite being kicked up and down the park every week wasn't injury prone :tu:

Laudrup Signs.jpg

I remember kicking a ball about a my mates garden with Stuart Mcall just after he signed. I kept asking him about Boli, at the time he was the higher profile signing, and he said after a few training sessions that Laudrup was one of the best players he’d ever seen. Couldnt get the ball of him.  

Personally, I’d always pick Gascoigne. Laudrup was one of the best ive seen, but for me Gazza’s the most naturally gifted and entertaining player. 

4 minutes ago, WWTC said:

I remember kicking a ball about a my mates garden with Stuart Mcall just after he signed. I kept asking him about Boli, at the time he was the higher profile signing, and he said after a few training sessions that Laudrup was one of the best players he’d ever seen. Couldnt get the ball of him.  

Personally, I’d always pick Gascoigne. Laudrup was one of the best ive seen, but for me Gazza’s the most naturally gifted and entertaining player. 

The only sad thing for me is that we didn't make a bigger mark in Europe with both of them in the team 

14 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

The only sad thing for me is that we didn't make a bigger mark in Europe with both of them in the team 

They couldn't do it all alone. People said they failed in Europe but Laudrup proved at France 98 he could cut it and Gazza obviously proved it plenty of times in an England shirt. The problem was that we had grafters around them, that was fine in Scotland but in Europe teams knew that if they sat on Gazza and laudrup, our other players couldn't really hurt them.

5 minutes ago, gsa said:

They couldn't do it all alone. People said they failed in Europe but Laudrup proved at France 98 he could cut it and Gazza obviously proved it plenty of times in an England shirt. The problem was that we had grafters around them, that was fine in Scotland but in Europe teams knew that if they sat on Gazza and laudrup, our other players couldn't really hurt them.

I do take your point although the team that got to within a whisker of the Champions League final in 93 was very much a unit without any big stars at all (certainly not as big as those 2)

1 minute ago, Thermopylae said:

I do take your point although the team that got to within a whisker of the Champions League final in 93 was very much a unit without any big stars at all (certainly not as big as those 2)

I think they played differently though, in 92-93 we were very much a team unit. 

In subsequent years we almost settled into a rope a dope style, sit fairly deep and absorb pressure then wait for Gazza and laudrup to destroy teams on the break.   

The problem was, we couldn't really absorb pressure against what were some very good teams, Juve, Ajax, etc and then some competent teams, Gothenburg, AEK Athens, etc.

5 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Best player to ever play for us

Best player in Scottish football history

You've never seen a player terrify defences single handedly up here like he could

Glad that there's plenty of footage on YouTube of him for the 20 year old and younger supporters to see what a true world class player looked like playing for us

True that. 

Really was like watching an adult play in a kids game. The disparity was night and day with the ability he had.... Yes unquestionably the best football player ever to grace the professional game in Scotland bar none.