Ryan Jack

Essandoh

This isn’t a thread to slaughter him, and his performance on Sunday (which I thought was actually quite decent in the first half) isn’t what prompted the discussion. It’s more to read people’s opinions on him overall as a midfielder and his potential to grow into the calibre of player you’d expect to see in a Rangers team capable of winning the league.

My mates a massive fan of his and I’m still totally unconvinced he’ll ever be at the level required. I’d be delighted to be proven wrong but I think its fair to say that this season will make or break him going forward - especially if Gerrard is sincere about replacing those who aren’t stepping up to the plate in big games.

He seems to have shrunk in the jersey more and more since he arrived.

1 minute ago, jjbscotty12 said:

I dont rate him in all honesty compared to a large majority of our support who seems to think he is brilliant an average spl player there was a reason at age 26 he was still at aberdeen.

Christ I didn’t realise he was that old

Less you hear of Ryan Jack whilst he's playing the more sure you can be that he's doing his job right. It's not like defending or being upfront where you can nail down specifics of his game and you'll only notice him if he does fuck up, given it's a rarity so he does his job well.  

1 minute ago, RFCRobertson said:

Less you hear of Ryan Jack whilst he's playing the more sure you can be that he's doing his job right. It's not like defending or being upfront where you can nail down specifics of his game and you'll only notice him if he does fuck up, given it's a rarity so he does his job well.  

Yes the less tackles and productive passes we see him making the better. Oh definitely.

17 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Yes the less tackles and productive passes we see him making the better. Oh definitely.

Well considering aberdeen only looked threatening down the wings and at set pieces and didn’t produce much down the middle, I’d say he was doing a good job. Now passes wise he does enough but he’s a CDM not a attacking mid, I wouldn’t expect him to be making key passes to unlock defences. That’s more Ejaria, Coulibaly (to an extent) and Arfield territory. All Jack needs to do is give the defence extra protection. That’s his duty and 9/10 he does that well.

The oil in the gearbox.  Don't hear much from him whilst the gears are grinding but without him the engine doesn't drive properly.

Sweeps, covers, positions himself excellently and always in positions to give those on the ball an option.  Rarely gives the ball away either  but you don't hear much because he doesn't do the spectacular, flamboyant or silky stuff.  Should be the anchor in our midfield.

13 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

The oil in the gearbox.  Don't hear much from him whilst the gears are grinding but without him the engine doesn't drive properly.

Sweeps, covers, positions himself excellently and always in positions to give those on the ball an option.  Rarely gives the ball away either  but you don't hear much because he doesn't do the spectacular, flamboyant or silky stuff.  Should be the anchor in our midfield.

We have drew and lost many games with him in our starting 11 he is below the level of player we need to play that position.

3 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

We have drew and lost many games with him in our starting 11 he is below the level of player we need to play that position.

He's not.  He plays the position well.  Better team with him playing you'd be flying.  

The person that slows us down most at the moment is Ejaria.  Too many touches, too selfish.  Potentially good, but needs to develop better game awareness.

3 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

He's not.  He plays the position well.  Better team with him playing you'd be flying.  

The person that slows us down most at the moment is Ejaria.  Too many touches, too selfish.  Potentially good, but needs to develop better game awareness.

Agree with ejaria part , but do we really need a ryan jack type player  in most of our starting 11s against many of the teams in this league?

9 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Willie Waddell to Alex Macdonald....give and go son give and go.

Wonderful talent but has to lay it off quicker 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

It has to be either Jack or Coulibaly then Arfield take you pick from Rossiter or Ejaria. 

Agreed.  For now it's Jack...his distribution and availability is way better.  Coulibaly has the potential, no doubt about that.

Just now, They Gnu said:

Rossiter and Ejaria offer different things, Rossiter is more direct.

It’s what the midfield needs imo, we have become slow and one dimensional in there. I would start Arfield and Rossiter then take your pick from Jack or Coulibaly. 

If Ejaria plays he has to be told to play further forward it’s no good going past 3 players and he is still 40 yards from goal.