• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:mcgregor:
:whittaker: :bougherra: :weir: :papac:
:mcculloch: OR :thomson:
:Naismith: :mendes: :davis: :novo: OR :rothen:
:miller:

I'd play Thomson instead of McCulloch. Not too sure about Novo or Rothen. Rothens set pieces and deliveries could be vital but if we can play the way we played pre-season with Novo and Naismith on the flanks it could work a treat.

I wouldn't want to play Miller but in all honesty we dont actually have many options.

The sooner Lafferty is fit the better.

Guest SandyWaTp

:whittaker: :weir: :bougherra: :papac:

:davis: :thomson: :mendes:

:novo: :Naismith: :rothen:

Would love to see this team, but dont think it will happen.

It will be same starting team as today, except Thomson in for Boyd IMO

We will struggle like fuck if we play the way we did today.

Need to get Mendes and Davis on the ball a lot more, Miller needs to sort out his composure as he might not get many chances on wednesday.

My heart says we can get at least a draw here.

If Smith considers there has been steady improvement in the Rangers ranks, the comings and goings at Stuttgart have been minimal. While the arrival of Pavel Pogrebnyak, Alexander Hleb and Zdravko Kuzmanovic have enhanced the squad, that has been offset partially by the departure of their major goal threat Mario Gomez.

"They've got two or three new players but they have not changed that much," said Smith. "They have changed coach, but Markus Babbel was assistant when we were last there so they have had a bit of continuity in the side. They have not changed a great deal since we played them. Gomez is a good player and scored nearly 80 goals in three seasons in the Bundesliga so you could say that getting the likes of Hleb and Pogrebnyak, that's the level of player that Stuttgart have had in the past so I think there has been a steadiness there and we know what to expect."

Especially when it comes to the Russian striker. Formerly with Zenit St Petersburg, Smith confessed to a huge sigh of relief when the player got himself suspended for the UEFA Cup final match-up. But Smith says he wouldn't expect an easy game against Stuttgart anyway, with or without Pogrebnyak, and he won't be deploying man-markers.

"I have never really gone into a situation where I have planned to stop a specific player. Our overall formation is such that we will have an awareness of which players could cause us a problem and, obviously, Hleb will be another one of those. But there will be no specific role for anybody in terms of keeping them out the game.

"The previous occasion a couple of years ago gives an indication of the difficulty of the task we face in the Champions League. We had good games against them and the game at Ibrox, I thought Stuttgart played very well in the first half and we played far better in second half and managed to win 2-1. Over there it was 3-2, but it was a close game. We were disappointed with a couple of the goals that we lost and we had a couple of opportunities that we missed out on as well, so I don't think these games will be any different from the ones we played previously and hopefully they will be close encounters and we can gain a little bit."

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/-Adding...ance.5642330.jp

I think our team on wednesday against stuttgart will be

:miller:

:rothen: :davis: :mendes: :Naismith:

:mcculloch:

:papac: :weir: :bougherra: :whittaker:

Whilst id rather see Thomson in their for Mcculloch, I think Walter will keep him in there. Naismith was lively for Scotland in midweek and changed the game when he came off the bench with novo on saturday and I fully expect nacho to come off the bench again on Wednesday

Miller will keep his spot up front I reckon and he will try to get in behind and cause problems, Mendes will allow for more creativity with Davis adding a bit of pace to the centre of the park. Rothen will probably play his second game for the club and will be in there for his crosses and set piece delivery.

We were unlucky not to win last time we visited stuttgart and at the very least deserved a draw... whilst we have a reputation for playing anti-football... I think (hope) we will surprise a few teams this season.