Rangers In For Tommy Smith

according to the sun

By PHIL GORDON

RANGERS are on the trail of Portsmouth striker Tommy Smith.

SunSport can reveal the former England Under-21 star is on Walter Smith's summer wish list.

The Gers boss needs to add some firepower to his squad after the departure of hotshot Kris Boyd.

But Smith, 30, only scored ONE goal in 16 appearances last season.

However, his availability has been made known to Gers and they want to do a deal.

Smith can play out wide as well as through the middle and it was only last August that Pompey paid Watford £1.8million for him.

But the south coast side were relegated from the Premier League amid financial meltdown.

Their star players are up for grabs in a fire sale and Rangers hope they can land a bargain.

But Pompey are understood to be playing hardball over their valuation of Smith who still has three years to run on his contract.

Derby made a bid to sign the player in March in an emergency loan but that fell through at the last minute.

They could come in again, and Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is also a long-term admirer.

However, Gers can offer European football and that's a big lure.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2996104/Rangers-chase-Portsmouth-ace-Smith.html

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this isnt true.

They are being linked with Bullard, Bellamy and others.

We are being linked with Miller and Smith.

I know its all speculation but we need to look for better players.

Don't know what to make of all the names we're being linked with. Would rather we spent our money in recruiting a decent winger and full back and keeping the rest of the squad than signing Miller or this dude. Personally id rather we got in Goodwillie, or maybe Stokes as a replacement for Boyd.

i doubt anyone will be happy with these targets, but this is all we can get.

if tommy smith has a relegation clause then i'm fine with that, but we shouldnt be held to ransom.

and lee was a rangers fan at school, maybe this has changed, but people say he is a walter smith kind of striker so i'm sure he can bring out the best in him.

Another Scottish Sun exclusive. Remember one of there last exclusives and that was Kris Boyd to the taigs.

As Walter dosent do his transfer talk in public it must be murder being out of the loop, so they have to second guess everything.

no thanks. If we can afford him we should be in for Andy Carroll of Newcastle, hes got a mention on SS today, Peter Lovenkrands says he should be selected by Craig Levein for the National squad as he has scottish grandparents. He has put away 17 goals in 34 appearances for Newcastle, and reminds me a bit of Mark Hately in height and strength!