Boxing and MMA

3 minutes ago, ben51 said:

What a performance. I know people give him grief for wearing beads (understandably) but I'm a boxing fan and this guy does so much for Scottish boxing. 

Well done, Ricky. (tu) 

As far as I'm aware they were his late Gran's beads and that's why he wears them, as opposed to him being a right on tim.

Did he win by decision?

Just now, bombaybadboy08 said:

As far as I'm aware they were his late Gran's beads and that's why he wears them, as opposed to him being a right on tim.

Did he win by decision?

Fair play then. 

Stopped him in the 8th. Boxed brilliantly, totally controlled the fight. The other guy didn't seem much if I'm honest but Burns hasn't fought that well in years. 

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Sure is, he supports the scum but he's certainly not a right tim. 

Know another boxer who trained with him before he won his first world title , he said because Ricky was still working in the sports shop he would turn up at the gym with all sorts of football tops on , including ours and theirs , seemingly only really became a fan of them once he won the title .

Fought a very good fight tonight , as he said everything he would've trained to do came off tonight , just stuck to boxing behind his jab then the right hand at the back of it . A good nights work .

3 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Happy for Ricky unsure if he really is a big beadrattler but he's from my neck of the woods.

Probably spunk it all away again. How people with millions like that do it I'll never know

For his first world title fight and defences , he was fighting for relative peanuts , thats why once he was established as champion he changed promoters . That ended up in court and the upshot of that is that Burns was declared bankrupt . I hope he makes a few quid in his next few years as the boy has been good for boxing in scotland , he's on record as saying he just loves the sport and even if he doesn't cut it at championship level he would be happy to box again at 6 round level . Most people who knew him years ago agree that he was never a massive taig , but we all know how the media up here love to add to the myth of everyone loving them .

Just now, Fred H Crawford said:

For his first world title fight and defences , he was fighting for relative peanuts , thats why once he was established as champion he changed promoters . That ended up in court and the upshot of that is that Burns was declared bankrupt . I hope he makes a few quid in his next few years as the boy has been good for boxing in scotland , he's on record as saying he just loves the sport and even if he doesn't cut it at championship level he would be happy to box again at 6 round level . Most people who knew him years ago agree that he was never a massive taig , but we all know how the media up here love to add to the myth of everyone loving them .

He's had 4 title fights has he not? I just find it hard to believe with 4 title shots with the promotions, sponsors n all that he lost it all like every bit in a court case.

Don't get me wrong I like the guy and I remember when he was going for the first fight he was still working and training in the same gym in Coatbridge. Never walked in with a swagger or look at me attitude and I would like him to make a few quid but I think theres something more than the court case as to why hes bankrupt!

He still lives in a normal house with a renault clio car! So I think something went wrong along with the court case

8 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

He's had 4 title fights has he not? I just find it hard to believe with 4 title shots with the promotions, sponsors n all that he lost it all like every bit in a court case.n't get me wrong I like the guy and I ectremember when he was going for the first fight he was still working and training in the same gym in Coatbridge. Never walked in with a swagger or look at me attitude and I would like him to make a few quid but I think theres something more than the court case as to why hes bankrupt!

He still lives in a normal house with a renault clio car! So I think something went wrong along with the court case

I don't know all the ins and outs mate , but he lost £400 000 in the court case with Warren . The purse for his title fight and first defence he never saw as he was out of pocket after all his training expences etc were paid ,he won't be the first or last fighter to sign a contract that promises a title fight for little money on the understanding of more money further down the line . Thats why as many boxers change promoters after winning titles when they realise that what was promised is always on "the next fight's worth more"  I don't know him personally but know a few guys who trained with him and their opinion was always that he wouldn't be the type to squander any money he earned .