Boxing and MMA

1 hour ago, Da Kool Blue said:

Same old Khan isn't it?

He's a better boxer than pretty much everyone he fights, but as soon as he gets clipped he goes to sleep. 

Nah, I'm not having that. No one was getting back up from that.

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

And?

Fact remains if you hit him clean he folds. His chin is made of glass, it's why he will never be a great fighter.

The issue is not even that he folds every time he eats a big clean shot, it's that he eats far more big clean shots than elite fighters do. That punch would probably have laid Mayweather or Lara or even a geriatric Mosley out but they didn't give Canelo the same opening.

3 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Indeed...Khan missed the block on the overhand and got caught flush.

This wasn't a clip, it was a proper knockout punch. Nobody would have gotten up from that.

To his credit he didn't look out of place in there but sadly the cut seemed to take him right out of his stride.

As soon as Canelo started to get his timing, Amir started to get nervous and his flurries doubled in volume to compensate. He's prone to errors and can't take a big punch, we know this, so the last thing in the world he needs to do with 6 rounds left is start being MORE aggressive.

Meh, Canelo is still dirt. Gennady would tear him to pieces. But they won't fight because Canelo's a fucking bitch- lmao at Hopkins plugging GGG Kovalev to get him away from Canelo. Baffling that 2 judges had him ahead as well tbh. 

44 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

A fighter who can't take a punch :lol:

Never been able to understand that, you would think that while you were sparring etc that this would have came to a head in the early years.

McGregor is the same in the UFC.

When he jumps 25 lbs then yeah, but that was just stupid. McGregor has a monster chin at a more natural weight for him. 

Just now, Vanoli said:

When he jumps 25 lbs then yeah, but that was just stupid. McGregor has a monster chin at a more natural weight for him. 

In my opinion you either have a glass chin or you don't, if I get sparked oot down at the pub and I go around telling people it's because the boy wasn't at the right weight for me, I would expect to be mocked.

Khan has always been like that, great movement etc but if his gran belted him on the chin with her handbag he would be on his back.

44 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

A fighter who can't take a punch :lol:

Never been able to understand that, you would think that while you were sparring etc that this would have came to a head in the early years.

McGregor is the same in the UFC.

Exactly.

folk saying it would have floored anyone but fact is Khan gets floored continuously and not just by huge punches. The openings he leaves is ridiculous, he doesn't have the skill or toughness to be in the elite. If he fights a big hitter it's already over, he can't dance about like Mayweather and box his way to wins against the best because he simply isn't up to it. It makes it all th ore ridiculous he was calling guys like Mayweather out to fight him, he's got no right to be in the ring with guys who are clearly on a different planet to his level. 

Last night it was so obvious Canelo was just biding his time because he obviously knew one punch ended this fight, he had Khan where he wanted him from the opening bell. 

1 minute ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

In my opinion you either have a glass chin or you don't, if I get sparked oot down at the pub and I go around telling people it's because the boy wasn't at the right weight for me, I would expect to be mocked.

Khan has always been like that, great movement etc but if his gran belted him on the chin with her handbag he would be on his back.

Yeah, no debate over Khan - he's been melted at 147 anyway. Just the McGregor comparison is off, but I get what you mean. 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Exactly.

folk saying it would have floored anyone but fact is Khan gets floored continuously and not just by huge punches. The openings he leaves is ridiculous, he doesn't have the skill or toughness to be in the elite. If he fights a big hitter it's already over, he can't dance about like Mayweather and box his way to wins against the best because he simply isn't up to it. It makes it all th ore ridiculous he was calling guys like Mayweather out to fight him, he's got no right to be in the ring with guys who are clearly on a different planet to his level. 

Last night it was so obvious Canelo was just biding his time because he obviously knew one punch ended this fight, he had Khan where he wanted him from the opening bell. 

Aye, it's not the issue that he's been knocked out by that shot - probably is true that most would get folded if they took that shot clean. It shouldnt have been there though,but Khan eats them all the time because his idea of speed is sitting down on his shots and using hand speed - combined with his defence its suicide against any big puncher, it'll be the same again against Garcia or even Brook.

You're miles off with that last point though, Canelo didnt have Khan where he wanted him, essentially it just took him half the fight to find his range and timing. He's improving, his cutting off of the ring, his defence and couple other things were better last night. Khan did well until the knockout though, Canelo couldnt get his timing right at all. In the 6th though it clicked for him, good feints and powered up the left to distract from the overhand right - the shot that was always likely to finish the fight. 

The inability to take a punch is genetic. The old saying is "you can't put muscle on your chin", and it's true. You are either born with a chin, or you're not. You can maybe improve reflexes and to roll with punches, but much of it is natural instinct when it comes to that. A bit like how great keepers or goalscorers just know where to be - great chins know when to flinch and roll and it's done at a subconscious level. Khan's style doesn't help him, he will always leave a gap eventually. He is too ragged at times. He doesn't fight like a boxer with a poor chin should. No questioning his heart though, the Garcia fight shows it in abundance.

As for the fight - Khan did really well last night, winning fairly easily, until Alvarez  landed big. Alvarez was clearly struggling to work him out, so disagree with the notion that Alvarez was biding his time. Then it clicked, and he got through with a monster punch that Khan didn't see coming. To be fair the punch would of KO'd pretty much everyone. However Khan seems to get tagged a lot in exchanges - when you don't see them coming - and it's a trait of his career.

No luck Khan. Big heart as always but I believe the boy went for the American dream. De La Hoya that was embarrassing. Not as bad as King but nearly as obvious.

For anyone who does not believe that boxing is dodgy. Watch Klitschko gainst Fury. How many times does Klitschko throw his right hand. Almost none. I went to boxing for less than a year at 13 and threw more right hands in the first hour than he did the whole night.

No doubt Klitschko will win the rematch with a big right hand

2 hours ago, Badger said:

The inability to take a punch is genetic. The old saying is "you can't put muscle on your chin", and it's true. You are either born with a chin, or you're not. You can maybe improve reflexes and to roll with punches, but much of it is natural instinct when it comes to that. A bit like how great keepers or goalscorers just know where to be - great chins know when to flinch and roll and it's done at a subconscious level. Khan's style doesn't help him, he will always leave a gap eventually. He is too ragged at times. He doesn't fight like a boxer with a poor chin should. No questioning his heart though, the Garcia fight shows it in abundance.

As for the fight - Khan did really well last night, winning fairly easily, until Alvarez  landed big. Alvarez was clearly struggling to work him out, so disagree with the notion that Alvarez was biding his time. Then it clicked, and he got through with a monster punch that Khan didn't see coming. To be fair the punch would of KO'd pretty much everyone. However Khan seems to get tagged a lot in exchanges - when you don't see them coming - and it's a trait of his career.

Just look at the differences in both fighters legs. Khan's are stick thin, which does not help his weak chin.

It reminded me of Froch's KO of Groves. Fake body punch, overhand right.

With a boxer having big legs just adds weight to you, and that is weight that you maybe don't need to have.

Boxers obviously want athletic, conditioned, legs with elastic and explosive type attributes, but..... they don't want to add any muscle mass that they don't really need, especially at the lower/middle weight - you can maybe get away with it more in the heavier divisions. Aside from that, muscled legs make you solid, but it will inhibit footwork. As for Canelo - he is more solid naturally and just naturally has bigger legs. I doubt he would train to bulk his legs much.

Most boxers have skinny legs. Hence 'boxers legs' is a term you hear banded about from time to time to a muscled guy with skinny legs.

There may be something to the leg argument, lord knows Tommy Hearns' chin was iffy and he was very top heavy, but then Ray Leonard had skinny legs too and he had an outstanding chin.

In slow motion you can really see why Khan went to sleep. His utterly non-existent guard. Which middleweight, nevermind blown up welter, wouldn't have at least gone down from this?

4EPZZHD.gif

10 minutes ago, JamieD said:

There may be something to the leg argument, lord knows Tommy Hearns' chin was iffy and he was very top heavy, but then Ray Leonard had skinny legs too and he had an outstanding chin.

In slow motion you can really see why Khan went to sleep. His utterly non-existent guard. Which middleweight, nevermind blown up welter, wouldn't have at least gone down from this?

4EPZZHD.gif

The punch lands perfectly with Khans momentum going forward too.

A big punch landing on the chin, that gives rotational force is the one that nearly always skews the brain of the fighter on the receiving end.

The torque through the neck, putting a twisting force on the brain inside the skull is 'the' KO punch.

In that punch Khans legs don't really take any of the force away from it, it's all in the neck and head.

Having "chin" is all down to subconscious reflexes and genetics. You can maximise your chin attributes with fighting style and putting a bit of muscle on, but ultimately the biggest decider seems to be it's something you're either born with or not. 

2 hours ago, maverick1200 said:

Just look at the differences in both fighters legs. Khan's are stick thin, which does not help his weak chin.

It reminded me of Froch's KO of Groves. Fake body punch, overhand right.

Both Punches would have knocked out a Romanian Deadlifter

John Greig would have used a spot of raljax