Is la liga the best league in Europe?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EPL for me. Managed to get to a couple of Arsenal games so far, the whole package is outstanding. Stadium, entertainment, quality. I don't really bother with German football at all, never really liked it. I only really watch Real or Barca from La Liga as well. But I'll watch any game from the Premiership.

It's all about personal taste, I suppose.

All arguments for the EPL here have been off the field indicators. No one doubts that the EPL is a bigger league, but it doesn't make it a better league.

Germany have the highest average attendance, that doesn't make it a better league or mean that all their teams are bigger than EPL and La Liga teams. Saying Tottenham and Arsenal are bigger than Valencia is debateable, I'd say. You can skew it whatever way you like really, people could slag Swansea, Stoke and Norwich easily if they wanted to belittle the quality and size of teams in the EPL. It's easy to make an argument that suits your point here.

The fact is, the Spanish are bossing the game on the field. Marketing, TV Revenue and whatever other off-field factors can be discussed, but anyone denying that Spain is king right now is kidding themselves.

I'd just echo what most have said regarding La Liga being the best technically.

There's a cracking article in FFT from two months ago that claims it's becoming less competitive than the SPL though, with Ronaldo out scoring five teams HIMSELF last year.

I'd just echo what most have said regarding La Liga being the best technically.

There's a cracking article in FFT from two months ago that claims it's becoming less competitive than the SPL though, with Ronaldo out scoring five teams HIMSELF last year.

There was a banner at a ground in Spain where it mentioned the SPL. I think it was Real Zaragoza.

Personally, I don't have a choice for the best league in the world. But if you asked me to sum up these leagues in one word then it would be..

La Liga - Technical

Premiership - Physical

Serie A - Tactical

Bundesliga - Competitive

SPL- Corrupt

Russian League- The Monaco of Football

Fixed that for you.

Much better indication comparing both European tournaments than just the CL!!!!

At the World cup 2010, 35% of Spain's squad was from Spanish teams outside the top 2. Whilst the likes of Albiol/Alonso had just moved to Real that season. Euro 2008, 56% of the players were represented from Spanish teams outside Barcelona/Real Madrid. Those two clubs had 22% of the twenty three man squad. Spain's success has not been on the basis of players solely from the top two.

Andy is spot on with his post, attendances/refs/sponsorship/tv deals is such a poor argument.

English is one of the biggest spoken languages in the world so it makes sense that it would be easier to sell tv rights globally. The scum have a better average attendance than us, does that make them better? Bundesliga is more competitive and has a higher attendance and that doesn't make the top 3 best leagues in the world. The Canadian league has higher attendances than Serie A, ffs!

I'm not for basing a league on 4-7 teams like many on here but going down that route in the last ten seasons, La Liga has won 14 trophies and EPL 3. It's also very likely that both European winners will come from Spain this season.

The quality of football, the strength in depth throughout the league is stronger in Spain than England, IMO.

La Liga > EPL > Serie A > Bundesliga IMO

The Europa league is a pointless tournament and quite frankly should just be wound up and binned. If Man U and Man City wanted to still be in it they would, quite frankly they couldnt wait to get out of it.

The Europa league is a pointless tournament and quite frankly should just be wound up and binned. If Man U and Man City wanted to still be in it they would, quite frankly they couldnt wait to get out of it.

So I suppose 2008 was completely Pointless?

Its a bit unfair to say Man U & Man City didnt try, i also disagree it should be binned, the smaller clubs deserve european competition as the CL is monopolised by a small group of elite teams.

it hink the main issue with Man u & City (MU in particular) was it was a humbling experience for them to be competing in such a contest when they should be in the CL. How do you motivate the MU players to lift the little brother when they want to be the best in europe - they have reached 3 finals in 4 years in the CL. They want to compete with Barca, so lifting the Europa league on channel 5 would be embarassing to them.

The overall standard of the l2 leagues will eventually come down to resources. Aberdeen dominated Scottish football for a while in the 80's under Fergy, but, it could never have lasted, as they just dont have the fan base, stadium, support, sponsors, and ultimately the resources to compete with the old firm.

Nacho Novo for instance, when we decided it was time for him to move on he ended up going to Sporting Gijon, and made 34 apperances there last season, which would indicate he walked into the starting XI. What premiership team could Nacho Novo have gotten a game for considering we decided he was surplus to requirements at Rangers? The answer is none. He'd be looking at a mid-to-bottom table championship side before he could find a club that give him regular starting slots.

Further more, spanish football is in a financial crisis thats on a par with Greece right now. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/spanish-successes-mask-debt-crisis-7575791.html

Yesterday, Spain was celebrating having a record five teams in the Champions and Europa League quarter-final draws. But only 24 hours earlier, Spanish football was sent reeling from Government figures that confirmed its clubs owe €752m (£625m) in unpaid tax.
The worst offenders are Atletico Madrid, one of those three Spanish teams still with a chance of winning the Europa League but owing €155m (£129m) to Spain's Inland Revenue – three times the amount that HMRC were pursuing Rangers for prior to the Scottish club entering administration. Atletico Madrid's debt had stood at €215m last summer before they sold Sergio Aguero to Manchester City for €50m and were obliged to hand the money straight over to the tax man.
Real Betis, Real Zaragoza, Racing Santander, Levante and Mallorca have all been in administration this season and owe the tax man €35m, €33m, €10m, €23m and €17m respectively. Mallorca now have a deal in place that allows them to pay their debt back over 10 years.
Osasuna and Levante currently occupy Europa League places in La Liga but both run the risk of sharing the fate that befell Mallorca in 2010 when they were denied the chance to take part because of a €60m debt.
The Spanish players union – which began the season chasing clubs for a debt of €50m in outstanding wages, and went on strike for the first week of the season for the cause

Barcelona owe the tax authorities €48m as part of an overall net debt of €364m.

With revenues of €479m and €451m respectively Real Madrid and Barcelona, who will also continue to share 50 per cent of the €618m annual television money until 2014, are not in danger. But as this week's figures showed the league around them, for all its on-the-field success, most definitely is.

I'm sorry, but this is a load of pish.

If neither wanted to be in the tournament they wouldn't have played their best teams. City didn't care yet tried their hardest to come back against Sporting and even sent Hart up in the final stages.

No idea how he's come to that conclusion.

On the basis of pure entertainment alone, the Europa League is destroying the Champions League this season. Some of the games, Bilbao v Schalke for one, have been brilliant to watch. Most teams are going for it, while the likes of City and Utd tried to employ the traditional 'sit back and counter' tactic we usually see in the Champions League, and they were totally outclassed when they did.

Agreed, me and McKissock both spoke about how the EL is undervalued especially within Britain. This myth keeps occurring that the English teams don't try in the tournament. Bar Tottenham this season(which was shocking IMO) clubs do go out to compete and win it.

Some good teams play in this tournament that are of a much higher quality compared to the likes of APOEL, CSKA Moscow, Marseille, Schalke etc who've went far in recent years in the top tournament.

you seem to have a habit of editing posts after making a trumpet of yourself :lol:

Do explain? What did I edit?

You on the other hand make yourself look like a clown every time you post.

you posted that nacho novo could easily get a game in the EPL then quickly edited it out... just like you did with your absurd post regarding the penalty incident in the barca game.

posting stuff then editing it out again is pretty low.

you posted that nacho novo could easily get a game in the EPL then quickly edited it out... just like you did with your absurd post regarding the penalty incident in the barca game.

posting stuff then editing it out again is pretty low.

Are you some kind of forum police?

Go have a word with yourself and stop being a prick for the sake of it.

Spanish Football is certainly superior over English Football easily on the pitch and thats the way to judge it not by stadium sizes or sponsorship deals.

An interesting point is a mate of mine who has a passive interest in football very much enjoys watching Spanish Football but gets bored easily by English football may just be personal taste but I think the entertainment value in the Spanish game and the appreciation of the talent and technique reels in more so so football fans.

Watching Bilbao, Valencia Real Madrid, Barca, Seville in the last few years has been :drool: Spanish Football is going through a golden period at the moment and we're lucky to enjoy that (tu)

I certainly have flaws, most people do, but deary me there's a few in this section who really need to have a look in the mirror with some of their childish replies.

Crying over someone editing a post, fucksake. :lol: :lol:

Did you pump his sister or something? Every post I see of his seems to be quoting you.

Yes I edited that out, mainly because I couldn't be arsed with you picking up on it and posting an essay on the subject. The point stands, Novo could get a game in that league especially when the likes of Caldwell, Maloney and other poor players do!!!

It's also pretty convenient that you never mentioned the other part I edited out, which said I agree about La Liga having issues and needing to sort them out. :rolleyes:

Ricky you're lying again? You claimed I deleted the post, which I proved was not possible. Then gave you the opportunity to ask a moderator if I edited any my posts in that thread the day after. You said yourself that you weren't sure and apologised for it, you seem to be obsessing over it.

Anyway I couldn't care less, daily you post complete nonsense that makes every have a laugh bar the resident forum clowns. Have a nice day. (tu)

PS: I edited that final part in, sorry for being 'low' for editing a post. :lol: :lol:

Do explain? What did I edit?

you denied it at first.

whatever, edit stuff if you want.

thats twice now, twice you have posted something then went back on it, then denied you ever said it in the first place.

at first, even though i may not have agreed with you, i at least respected that it was your opinion and you had conviction in what you were saying.

but to say somthing, then edit it, then completely deny you ever said it on 2 occasions now, is nothign short of trolling.

anyway, to think nacho novo could hold down a starting position in a premiership team when he was no logner good enough for Rangers is laughable - i dont blame you for editing it out :lol:

arent you the dobber that got all hot udner the collar and called me a "boring person" :lol:

tampax1.jpg

get yourself a box ;)

Yes, that was me.

I stand by my statement, you are boring, you're also predictable, blinkered and narrow minded.