Jorg Albertz - The Hammer

laudrupno1

For my 10,000th post I thought Id dedicate it to the Rangers Legend that is The Hammer :praise:

Laudrup & Gazza were my favourite players growing up supporting Rangers and I've did similar threads for them in the past but for me Albertz was a great player for us and brought us many happy memories :D It was great getting a free kick as it felt like getting a penalty with big Jorg stepping up to take it and 9 times outta 10 blasting it home :)

The mans a Rangers Legend :21: What thought's/good memories do you have of The Hammer?

Albertz is probably my favorite Ranger of them all.

I remember a game against Hearts at Ibrox on a cold night around December 1999 when Hearts sat in the whole game and played for the 0-0. The home crowd were getting restless at their tactics and our inability to break them down only for Albertz to let fly from range in the closing minutes as if to say if all else fails...

The best though was his goal in the 98 Scottish Cup Semi against the mhanks, running half the length of the pitch with the ball before finally smashing it beyond the helpless Jonathan Gould :21:

One of the greatest midfielders ever to play in Scotland imo, his free kicks are legendary but he had more than that he had a real steel about him and a good amount of skill considering he was lining up with magicians like Gazza and Laudrup. Der Hammer was Der Best :D

At a game vs Killie not sure of the year but i had a ticket woth my dad and his pal in the Moffat stand when it was the Killie fans in there and Albertz blasted a free kick over the bar and hit my dads pal in the hand and.face knocking his.fag into the guy infronts hood.

Hi, govanblue here, so you know what's coming, but it is on topic this time - sort of ;) ...

Rangers Charity Foundation Lucky Legends Prize Draw:

1st prize: Weekend for 2 in Germany plus VIP matchday hospitality at a Borussia Mönchengladbach game with Jörg Albertz

2nd prize: VIP Visit to Murray Park for 2 as guests of Ally McCoist

3rd prize: A Blue Room Dinner for 6 in the company of Andy Goram

Plus many more great prizes up for grabs!

The Sponsors' Fund still have 65 unsponsored/unsold tickets for this prize draw. So this is your chance - what are you waiting for? Get your tickets here.

and as a wee bonus, here's an umlaut ö for you to copy/paste if you want to spell his name right. :D

ö

great, goosebumps watching that! I sit in the Copeland Front and used to hate the warmup before games, lost count of the number of bovrils and pies that were sent flying while Albertz and the others practiced their shooting. I'm sure Ally used to deliberately miss and try to hit the policeman stationed behind the goal. Good times indeed.

I'm sure we were down 3-1 to hivs at fester rd when we produced a stirring

comeback, at 3-3 and playing injury time big jorg unleashed the hammer from

30yrds culminating in the ball flying over leightons head to send the away end

delerious.

The post match interview with der hammer had him telling us how he "just cracked

the ball over his heid" said in his now famous Scottish twang.

Great days and memories from a great ger of his generation. :7325:

I remember a game against Hearts at Ibrox on a cold night around December 1999 when Hearts sat in the whole game and played for the 0-0. The home crowd were getting restless at their tactics and our inability to break them down only for Albertz to let fly from range in the closing minutes as if to say if all else fails...

The best though was his goal in the 98 Scottish Cup Semi against the mhanks, running half the length of the pitch with the ball before finally smashing it beyond the helpless Jonathan Gould :21:

Celebrated right in front of me in my old seat in cf row c for that Hearts goal. Also picked up my Union Jack during one of the title celebrations :)

Celebrated right in front of me in my old seat in cf row c for that Hearts goal. Also picked up my Union Jack during one of the title celebrations :)

Me and my cousins were at that game. We left a couple of minutes before full time but when we stepped outside of Ibrox we heard the roar from the crowd. We watched the highlights later that day and the players were celebrating right at where we were sitting in CF row A :(

i remember that one in the final few minutes, sure it was to mark the hundredth year at ibrox that game

doubt we will ever see anybody hit a ball with that power, well maybe Coop's free kick against the sheep in the 87 Skol Cup final

remember him hitting someone in a wall with a freekick straight to the guts against someone like East Fife or Berwick in the cup, poor sod had to get taken off