Why McCoist prefers seasoned players

Was thinking about this today and he tends to go for the developed player rather than those who need coached and developed as has been seen in our last 2 seasons.

Is this because Ally knows that we are currently incapable of coaching and development given our set up? Is he blanking change in the set up in favour of keeping his pals together and in a job?

if this is the case, surely as part of Wallaces massive 8 pager after the 120 day review where he stated that youth development and scouting was a major issue to be looked at, this should be ripped apart before any signings are sanctioned? We should be getting this set up asap and younger players brought in over the summer who have sell on value instead of end of career players that will take a wage and leave us with no income when their contract expires.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it for ages that our money should be spent on top coaches and a proper scouting system.

We have players who can't pass and move at pace and others who can't take a corner or free kick.Defenders that can't defend and midfielders who can't pass . Our kids should be better than most with our facilities and a good scouting system but they're not.

WHY???

Worryingly enough the reasoning being given for (allegedly) attempting to sign Boyd, Miller et al is the same reasoning we were given, by the same people no less, for signing Shiels, Black, Cribari and Daly.

I wouldn't have minded those signings, and I won't mind Boyd or Miller, if its counter balanced with some signings that at least have the potential to yield a profit, either on the park or on the balance sheet.

McCoist still thinks we're a big spending club when we shouldn't have been that back in the SPL days. The Scottish league is not a place to be spending millions on player transfers, wages and all the rest. We should get players young and cheap. Coach them properly then eventually make a decent profit when we move them on.

Probably a SPL mindset he is finding it difficult to break, our current situation would have been ideal to give some more youngsters game time. Which in fairness he tried, out with MacLeod none were good enough.

It is debatable (and sad) whether or not the fans would put up with more games lost as a result of playing more younger players. I certainly would have been up for that, many say they would although I'm not so sure, it would just have been another stick to beat him with IMO.

Lets not forget this is not a new thing, nor isolated to Rangers. Only the very very best players will make it in the team. Parents of younger players have been advising them to go to Utd, Hamilton, Motherwell etc for decades.

He will look after his job first and foremost, that's not just his fault though.

This pish that promotion was our main objective is ridiculous short term thinking and means that he hss no pressure to bring on young guys capable of making us money.

Wallace should be blocking signings like Miller and Daly and forcing the manager to think further forward than a season or two.

Who would you have signed that summer?

4 or 5 tried and tested heads in the lower leagues who have been there and done it all before. We already had a spine of Alexander, Wallace, Jig and Little then you could have added in the Barry McKays, McLeods and Airds ect.

We would have got through these leagues just as easily without the overpaid shite we have just now. Of Course for that to happen you would need an actual manager and not a TV personality in the dug out...

What we done was get the most expensive players we could and gave them contracts that meant they were near impossible to shift.

4 or 5 tried and tested heads in the lower leagues who have been there and done it all before. We already had a spine of Alexander, Wallace, Jig and Little then you could have added in the Barry McKays, McLeods and Airds ect.

We would have got through these leagues just as easily without the overpaid shite we have just now. Of Course for that to happen you would need an actual manager and not a TV personality in the dug out...

What we done was get the most expensive players we could and gave them contracts that meant they were near impossible to shift.

so players we would have had to replaced as we made it back to the top with little or no sell on value? Isn't that one of the heinous crimes McCoist is accused of?

so players we would have had to replaced as we made it back to the top with little or no sell on value? Isn't that one of the heinous crimes McCoist is accused of?

No we would have spent next to noghint on wages for players who would no doubt put in far more effort than the SPL dross we brought in on bumper contracts.

Then with the younger boys added to that then they might of had a chance to develop and improve with first team football.

McCoists crime is hes a shite manager who always looks at the short term and never the long term. Even now he's making the exact same mistakes he made 2/3 years ago.

A real manager of note would not need to 'buy' there way out of the bottom leagues in Scotland.

Was thinking about this today and he tends to go for the developed player rather than those who need coached and developed as has been seen in our last 2 seasons.

Is this because Ally knows that we are currently incapable of coaching and development given our set up? Is he blanking change in the set up in favour of keeping his pals together and in a job?

if this is the case, surely as part of Wallaces massive 8 pager after the 120 day review where he stated that youth development and scouting was a major issue to be looked at, this should be ripped apart before any signings are sanctioned? We should be getting this set up asap and younger players brought in over the summer who have sell on value instead of end of career players that will take a wage and leave us with no income when their contract expires.

It fries my brain the whole situation at Rangers, the more i go on the more disillusioned i am with so much. On the pitch, we're a horrible and frustrating outfit, a team who play shite the majority of the time and just aren't arsed by the looks of things to play for us but yet don't get dropped regardless of form. We have young players whom we want to see make the step up not getting their chance to, again, adding to the frustration.

So now we have rumours of Boyd and Miller returning, Little is away, so as things stand we have those 2, Daly and Clark, although god knows whether he'll get a chance if those 2 sign. This completely contradicting the development of scouting networks and youth development, which again, simply fries my brain.

I've no idea what the plan is at Ibrox from anyone but to me doesn't appear to be a long term one. Think ive lost years following Rangers these last few seasons.

No we would have spent next to noghint on wages for players who would no doubt put in far more effort than the SPL dross we brought in on bumper contracts.

Then with the younger boys added to that then they might of had a chance to develop and improve with first team football.

McCoists crime is hes a shite manager who always looks at the short term and never the long term. Even now he's making the exact same mistakes he made 2/3 years ago.

A real manager of note would not need to 'buy' there way out of the bottom leagues in Scotland.

Far to sensible and long term for some mate! Spend spend spend!

Looking back at the teams of the year from the Summer we were demoted you had 19-20 years olds Duffie & Taylor-Sinclair in the Championship team of the year & in the SD3 team of the year you had 23 year olds Ricky Little (also named in team of the year again the following season), McCord (named in division 2 team of the year the following year) and 21 year old Sterling who scored 12 goals from midfield that season.

All young players who could have been brought in for a fraction of what we eventually spent, achieved the exact same outcome as the guys we signed did, been offloaded cheaply if they didn't come on as we moved up the leagues and potentially be seen as bargains if they did come on as we moved up the leagues.

People can say hindsight is 20-20 but there are people who have been of this opinion since we were demoted. It's not something they have decided recently.

It fries my brain the whole situation at Rangers, the more i go on the more disillusioned i am with so much. On the pitch, we're a horrible and frustrating outfit, a team who play shite the majority of the time and just aren't arsed by the looks of things to play for us but yet don't get dropped regardless of form. We have young players whom we want to see make the step up not getting their chance to, again, adding to the frustration.

So now we have rumours of Boyd and Miller returning, Little is away, so as things stand we have those 2, Daly and Clark, although god knows whether he'll get a chance if those 2 sign. This completely contradicting the development of scouting networks and youth development, which again, simply fries my brain.

I've no idea what the plan is at Ibrox from anyone but to me doesn't appear to be a long term one. Think ive lost years following Rangers these last few seasons.

That's the way I feel too. Completely fucking depressing the state the clubs in from top to bottom.

Still renewed but if it wasn't for getting a good bevvy before and after the game I don't think I would have bothered!

I forget Ian Black was that well paid at Hearts that we had to pay him crazy money. I'm sure these lower league journeymen would've came for buttons. And I'm sure Chuckles wouldn't have thrown cash at them like he did the rest.

So the manager puts out a winning team, signs players who he thinks will win things, he then wins things and still we moan and moan and moan and moan.

All these top class manager's whom we envy, all those top class clubs we want to emulate, how many of them are playing a teamfull of u20 year olds? When Man U rebuild over the summer how many U20 players will they buy for first team duty? Man City - with guably the best Academy in England - how many youth players did they introduce to there squad this year, how many of them got a first team game?

The only place where its easy to manage Rangers, where its easy to build a squad based on kids who will all be worth £10m after a couple of seasons coaching while playing for pennies is on the Internet.

I like these threads - its always good to allow me another outlet for backing the manager and for the angry mob to reitterate how disgusted they are.

We REALLY should have a sweepee for how many of these reitterative threads we will have before next seasons kick off. It'll be a very high number - a very high number indeed!

So the manager puts out a winning team, signs players who he thinks will win things, he then wins things and still we moan and moan and moan and moan.

All these top class manager's whom we envy, all those top class clubs we want to emulate, how many of them are playing a teamfull of u20 year olds? When Man U rebuild over the summer how many U20 players will they buy for first team duty? Man City - with guably the best Academy in England - how many youth players did they introduce to there squad this year, how many of them got a first team game?

The only place where its easy to manage Rangers, where its easy to build a squad based on kids who will all be worth £10m after a couple of seasons coaching while playing for pennies is on the Internet.

I like these threads - its always good to allow me another outlet for backing the manager and for the angry mob to reitterate how disgusted they are.

We REALLY should have a sweepee for how many of these reitterative threads we will have before next seasons kick off. It'll be a very high number - a very high number indeed!

The teams u mention aren't playing against absolute dross in part time leagues tho,I've no doubt their u20 sides would romp this league and probably beat our shambles of a side aswell