Another Season In The Championship

Raligt

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't think we're going up and to be honest i don't mind if we are down here another season or two if we get a decent manager in, get rid of useless players, bring in more young guys instead of playing cunts like mcculloch, black, miller, boyd. it's what we should've down back in the third division! but oh no ally was having none of that.

the only thing is if we can survive financially in this league for another season or two. we're gonna need serious money put into the club to keep us going. i want us back at the top of scottish football just as much as any other cunt but maybe we should take our time and do it properly instead of rushing back and making mistakes. of course it's a bit fucking late to say that cause we've fucked up but maybe we should just rethink the whole thing cause this plan isn't fucking working.

we need to pay off mcdowell/mccoist and get them away from the club for good. any players out of contract should be let go unless it's someone we really need to keep. not sure who exactly has their contract end but honestly can't think of a player i would keep from this current shower of shite.

It is plainly evident that this squad led by the current manager and coached by the current coaches simply do not have what it takes to win important games and therefore to win a promotion spot. This must surely be evident to the Board and those who aspire to form the Board after the EGM. So what's it to be - sort out the Board then plan for next season or sort out the Board and find a manager / coaches that can turn a bunch of losers who do not have enough pride in the jersey into a team that grabs play off games by the scruff of the neck, takes its scoring chances, and defends like men possessed to prevent goals from being scored against us ie matchwinners?

What's it to be eh? A roll of the dice in the play offs or fuck the season and plan for next with lower crowds at Ibrox and massive cost cutting to cut away the expensive failures and a season or two invested in home grown youngsters? Its coming down to make your mind up time for the Board - whatever Board - as games are ticking away and we can't find any wins and we just keep getting worse. Can it get worse? Sure it can. Can it be recovered - not without an urgent change of manager and urgent change of attitude by the squad.

Absolutely spot on.

A fresh manager that knew what he was doing, using all of our resources (players on loan) and breaking from the shackles of playing the same failures every game with the same hope for the best tactics should work. It has been clear for ages now what the job is - build the team for the play offs. Plodding along with what we have seen to fail game after game needs to stop.

I'm glad the board were waiting till we got beat off the tarriers before getting rid of Mcdowall..

it takes time to find a manager. The board did not cause this. The supports dumb blind luv of mccoist did for us. At least have the decency to admit that. If he had cried jump u would have asked how high and jumped at the board and that would have came back on them.

Could be a blessing in disguise if we get the correct coach in. Gives him a year to instill a philosophy in the team, bleed our promising youngsters and plan for promotion the next year.

Although we all want promoted another year in the championship could make us stronger in the more longer term than getting promoted and being a shambles next year still

well say what parts u disagree with. Ir are ur debating skills as poor as ur football knowledge?

I was one of Mccoists biggest critics on here..

He should have been punted years ago..

Now Mccoist left before Christmas so why the fuck, according to you, were the board waiting until after tarrier game to replace him?

Could be a blessing in disguise if we get the correct coach in. Gives him a year to instill a philosophy in the team, bleed our promising youngsters and plan for promotion the next year.

Although we all want promoted another year in the championship could make us stronger in the more longer term than getting promoted and being a shambles next year still

It Blood our promising youngsters Bleed is what the filth do with youngsters.

Saying that, another season with murdoch, gasparatto, mckay, Gallagher, Clark.. Not sure that's such a bad thing

I agree, those saying it will kill us aren't looking deep enough into it.Firstly, it will battle harden the youngsters. Money won't be as big of a problem as made out, we will have way more season tickets than this season and we will be saving around 3m on wages.

Being optimistic here, but if we can get the other toon boys integrated into the team (while keeping some more of our duds out!) and maybe have a new manager after a succesfull egm i think we could have a chance.

Plus i would love us to put the hibs scum in their place by denying them promotion!

I can understand to a degree why not getting promotion is not an option.

The alternative - another year or more in the Championship risks creating the sort of downward spiral that is nearly unthinkable. Reduced ST sales and reduced match day attendance as Supporters stay away until better times arrive. Reduced revenue from ticket sales even if there is a (small?) increase in ticket prices. Reduced commercials - less attractive sponsorship and less advertising etc. Possibly less TV revenue as Rangers become just another middling Championship club - a club fallen on bad times - a club where TV interest in their games dwindles away? What if the attendances fall below 10000 at home games, and much less at cup games? What is DL - or whoever replaces him after 4 March - going to budget for next season. Will it be a worst case budget with an absolute determination do drag costs down below whatever revenue emerges from reduced ticket sales and reduced commercials?

All resulting in much more severe cuts than might be imagined right now. Cuts in numbers of players. Cuts in the levels of non-playing staff. Massive cuts in players wages and cuts or freezes in wages of non playing staff. Maintenance at Ibrox reduced to minimum necessary to meet health and safety but no investment in the physical infrastructure. Could MP be retained - or would it simply cost too much to keep? Oh and of course a very significant amount of money seeping out each month to McCoist - failure in chief. Maybe even to McD too if he is required to go study his garden pending his contract expiring.

And none of the above even starts to touch on the football impact. With a swathe of failing / failed expensive players due to roll out of contract at the end of the season a continued stay in the Championship would infer a material rebuilding exercise. Sure we might be able to attract some players in - but given the stresses and pressures the players have seen this season just how many players of any talent would want to move to Ibrox and into the toxic cocktail of high expectation from the Support, low quality coaching, even lower quality management and for wages that may have to be on a par with other Scottish championship clubs if the cuts needed really are more severe that we are currently seeing. A rebuilding for promotion might take more than one season. By which time when we are promoted we are so far from being competitive for the top league that it may take many years to recover.

So I can see some reasons why failing to win promotion this season is not an option. But increasingly that defies the reality we are seeing week in and week out. And with time ebbing away to transform this team I do think that the greater reality is that the players and the manager simply do not have the bottle to become hard edged game winners with a single-minded focus on winning promotion. They have proven time and again they cannot handle the pressure. And thinking that this group of players and the manager / coaches can suddenly shake this off and win promotion takes a form of optimism that, to my mind, borders on no more than wishful thinking.

If failing to win promotion this season is not an option - then since the players cannot now be replaced, it requires the introduction of a manager and probably coaches too that can galvanise this squad and cause it to deliver. The longer the Board - whatever the composition of the Board - delays in bringing in the quality and strength of managerial leadership needed to deliver this season, the more they indicate to the rest of us that not winning promotion is in fact entirely acceptable to them. And with it the acceptance of a reduced home support, reduced income and cuts of the nature I mention above.

But investment money will fix all of this won't it? When the new Board is appointed. Will it? Just who is going to be prepared to invest yet again in Rangers (or for the first time) if the prospect is another year in the wilderness, maybe more years.