Walter Won't Rule It Out. But...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with this but who would be better to take us to the end of the season ?

I know what you mean as a shortstop, definitely no one better than Walter, but I feel there may be others out there who would be prepared to step up and take us to the season end and possibly further, new blood is needed, from manager to last sub we need a clean out.

I could suggest a few names but they will never fall under the same class as Walter.

:7325:

I know what you mean as a shortstop, definitely no one better than Walter, but I feel there may be others out there who would be prepared to step up and take us to the season end and possibly further, new blood is needed, from manager to last sub we need a clean out.

I could suggest a few names but they will never fall under the same class as Walter.

See that's what I'd like to happen too if it was November or December, but with only two months left this season I would have concerns that if you do that now you are rushing into an appointment and that's the last thing we should be doing.

I'd rather go with the safe hands from now until the end of the season and which would allow the board time to carry out proper due diligence on guys they are interested in before one of them takes over in the Summer.

Would need far more time than he would have to turn it around this season. I'd hate him to take over and fail to get us promoted. His status as legendary manager would take a bit of a hit.

That's debatable.

If he tried and failed I wouldn't hold that against everything he had previously achieved.

If he didn't want to be considered then he should have kept quiet or if not quiet then to firmly signal a 'no'. He's not done that so the signal is he is willing to be considered. Ultimately its up to him. But for fuck's sake lets not have a courtship dance over this. Either do it quickly or don't do it at all. There is utterly no point in trailing a line of 'maybe's' into and through the media and then drag this on and on until it becomes a 'what if' story. Maybe means 'yes -willing'. Not saying 'no' means 'yes -willing'. Its up to King, Murray and Smith. This can be solved in a 10 minute phone call. Either do it or close the option off. But it should be done quickly.

I'm not so sure RB.

I don't think he does want this , but sense that he doesn't want to let anyone down knowing how much we're struggling right now. Can't really find the words to express what I mean , but it's something like a paternal matter to him . If that makes sense.

For my part , I feel he's more than earned his right to enjoy his retirement without the worry if Rangers are in safe hands.

That's debatable.

If he tried and failed I wouldn't hold that against everything he had previously achieved.

That's what a forum is for bud! :D

At one time I thought Super Ally was beyond reproach.

I'm not saying he'd get roasted, but I want his legacy to be left at the guy who won us SPL titles, not the guy who was in charge when/if we failed to win promotion. (tu)

There is a greater need to finally move forward, Smith would be an ideal short term solution but I fear we would then just look to stick with hin for a year or two with the belief that he'd be perfect to steady the ship in the top flight for the first year and before you know it we are structurally in the same position we were in around 2009, brining in journeymen with the sole intention of trying to best the tims.

Walter wont knock us back if we come calling, we shouldn't put the man in that position.

He probably would have the means for turning this team back into professional players. The players themselves do have it in them, they have been managed so poorly and look like lost cubs(couldn't find myself calling them "sheep", lol) needing strict guidance to the end of this season.

However, would he want to bring himself out of retirement for one last bout? Who knows...it's up to him at the end of day.

See that's what I'd like to happen too if it was November or December, but with only two months left this season I would have concerns that if you do that now you are rushing into an appointment and that's the last thing we should be doing.

I'd rather go with the safe hands from now until the end of the season and which would allow the board time to carry out proper due diligence on guys they are interested in before one of them takes over in the Summer.

I agree with your timing and the logic, you put a good balance on your argument and I have to say it would make sense to coax Walter out to steady the ship and would welcome his input.

Will he won't he? If he feels up to it, and sees some hope I will back him and would wish him all the best.

It's really not the way to go, whether we go up or not.

The current management (including McCoist) are Smith's understudies, a regime we've been working under since 2007 it's time for a new outlook, new approach.

Well.. when Walter came back after the PLG debacle...his first match in charge was a 5-0 hammering of Dundee UTD (I think?)

Same players PLG had... Different result

My memory may not be correct here.. but wasn't his first match in charge of Scotland a 2-0 loss vs Italy? But... we played much better and gained a lot of respect from that match?

Same players...different performance.