The Booing Of Lee Mcculloch Today

I shudder to think where we would end up if the noisy minority of our 'support' got their way on stuff like this.

I'm not into 'noisy minorities', but the inescapable fact is that the majority of our fans believe that McCulloch should not be at the club, never mind in the team.

Any impartial observer would conclude that McCulloch is a liability. Whilst some of our fans are much more 'demonstrative' and vocal than others, I would expect our management team - at all levels - to conclude for themselves that McCulloch's time is up.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone remember a similar situation Mid 80's involving Cammy Fraser? Copeland were cheering him and Govan were booing him every time he got the ball. This started a chant of "Yer only Tims in the Govan"!

Unusual in that it was probably the last time a song was started in the Copeland :-)

Was this not because Cammy Fraser scored in the 4v4 game against celtic and gave the rangers fans in the copland the 2 finger

salute.

That's fair enough but how many times have the team been booed off the park at half and full time over the past couple of years? How many times have people left early, thrown scarves or shouted loads of abuse at the team when we go a couple of goals down? How much discontented heckling has their been aimed at our players - Foster, Law, Black for example?

All things that are comparable to booing IMO but there has been nowhere near the level of outage shown at any of these incidents.

Its happened too many times imo.

Each to their own but its just not my way.

Tbh i'm far from outraged but booing the club captain is a low point for me.

Soon some of us will be indistinguishable from that bheast fc mob's supporters.

As I said it's not something I would take part in, but I can understand the fans frustrations completely.

Because the guy behind you grew up with and was taught the traditions of being associated with Glasgow Rangers . That's why he was embarrassed by the actions of idiots like you!

I am not a fan of McCulloch at all but I would never boo a Rangers player. I bet you and everyone else who booed are the type of fans who decided to nip along to the game since its a nice day and won't be there until the next 'big game'

And to be quite honest, Ibrox would be a better place without you!

Fuckin shut up I boo'd him and have had a ST for 18 years since was 10. But then again I'm not you, uber fan

I'm not into 'noisy minorities', but the inescapable fact is that the majority of our fans believe that McCulloch should not be at the club, never mind in the team.

Any impartial observer would conclude that McCulloch is a liability. Whilst some of our fans are much more 'demonstrative' and vocal than others, I would expect our management team - at all levels - to conclude for themselves that McCulloch's time is up.

The management team also have a consideration to make around the impact on the team of the manager being seen to drop a player because the fans get on his back, there are wider implications than just players getting picked in the team with this sort of stuff.

The guys a liability has been for long enough.Im not agreeing with people booing him yesterday but its been blatantly obvious the guy shouldn't be there never mind being the Rangers captain.Yesterdays performance wasn't an isolated one off,he has been putting similar shit performances in for seasons. In saying that he is not alone the full defence is shit and for that matter the full senior squad aren't much better.As ive said before theres no one going to tell me or the majority of the Rangers support that we would miss and shed a tear over the loss of Simmonsen,Foster,Faure,Smith,Moshni,Zaliukas,McCulloch,Hutton,Templeton,Black,Boyd,Miller and Daly.McCall can only work with the shit he has but sometimes he has to make the big decisions like dropping the captain who is clearly past it.It should have been done long ago not waiting till the fans have had enough of this fool and start booing him at home on a Saturday afternoon.

Do you seriously consider him worthy of being Rangers captain?

I agree with the principle that no Rangers player should be booed like that but McCulloch doesn't deserve any special respect just because our coaches have been stupid enough to give him the armband

I don't think any of them deserve the armband to be honest.

Booing at half time and full time is different, IMO. I booed Advocaat's teams off, Walter's teams. They needed to know we expected more, we booed them collectively. Singling out a player who is shite is a different matter. If he wasn't putting the effort in(like the teams mentioned above) then you could sort of justify it.

You have someone on the field who scored against us wearing the green and grey, he's the first guy I'd turn on if I felt the need to boo anyone in a blue jersey. He's fucking shite as well.

If you go to Ibrox you should be going to support your team, there's no way in hell that you should be claiming to support the team by booing any of its players. The sad thing is that there is an element of our support that is becoming more taig like by the week.

If you go to Ibrox you should be going to support your team, there's no way in hell that you should be claiming to support the team by booing any of its players. The sad thing is that there is an element of our support that is becoming more taig like by the week.

Well said.

Nobody goes to a game with even a suspicion that they might boo the team or boo an individual player. Sure there is a sigh of disbelief when the team is read out, or maybe conversations of disapproval with other fans about the selection before the game starts. The game starts and events on the pitch unfold. Over the decades I've heard booing as the team leaves the pitch at full time and some at half time. I - and I think pretty well everyone else - understands the frustrations and disappointments if the team does not perform well or does not show the sort of effort / ability expected from a Rangers team and booing can be an outcome of that. Not ideal but that's life.

Booing an individual the way events unfolded yesterday seems to me to be on a different scale. There are pressures of playing for Rangers that are miles and miles higher than at other clubs. Even more so in such an important season as this one. Amplified by the abject failure of the team and its managers this season. The result is a level of frustration and disappointment throughout the Support that looks for an escape valve. Some Supporters are angry during the game and after the game but by the time they get home the anger / frustration has dissipated and there is a bit 'write it off' and of looking forward to the next game. Internet forums are an outlet to vent a bit. But at the game itself it maybe is less surprising in this season and at this time of the season that a need to say something becomes so compelling that booing is an immediate and direct way of conveying just how far the team / player is perceived to have let the Support down.

Sure its far - very far - from where we want to be. But it was absolutely avoidable if the player himself and the players in the squad had performed to anywhere near their individual and collective ability. Put differently - he has to a large extent brought this on himself, and the manager has brought it on himself as has his managerial predecessors. The player has shown game after game this season that he is not able to deal with playing as a CB for Rangers. He is not a leader on the pitch. He said himself some months ago that he does his leading at MP. Which is fine in one sense but not when it comes to making a difference on the pitch during a match. And yet manager after manager picks him if he is available to play. Many do not understand why he is a seemingly auto-pick regardless of form or capability to play well in a CB position.

The thing is - the genie may be out of the bottle. If during play offs the player makes bad mistakes then how long before a repeat booing episode opens up and it then infects the team which in turn reduces the prospect of winning out? We'll see soon enough but I hope that does not happen because it would be a very self inflicted wound on the Club. And what happens if we lose out on the play offs? What then at the end of the game for individuals who may be perceived to have been the causes of the failure this season? As much as the play offs will be a very testing time for the players - players who have not shown the bottle for it this season so far - it will be testing for the Support if the team is not able to achieve promotion. The reaction at the last game - defiance and an air of 'will do better next season' or turning inward on the team on individual players with booing. McCoist saw to it by his managerial failure this sort of booing of individuals scenario was always going to become possible because of the cauldron-like pressure related to the play offs.

The genie is out of the bottle.

McCulloch should have been gradually phased out between the Third Division and now; that's McCoist'd fault. He's no longer good enough, in reality.

However, I wonder how much of it is actually McCulloch's fault. I certainly don't agree with him being boo'd.

He's earning a fortune and if the apparent clause that he must start if fit is true, then it's a major concern. However, on the other hand, he took a pay cut when we needed the money.

Should McCulloch refuse to play? Volunteer for another wage cut? No.

Do you seriously consider him worthy of being Rangers captain?

I agree with the principle that no Rangers player should be booed like that but McCulloch doesn't deserve any special respect just because our coaches have been stupid enough to give him the armband

Nope,i once thought he was captain material. Now he's past his best. Booing fuck out of him won't change anything it just makes our fans look like cunts.

Its only my opinion and i may be wrong. None of our players are beyond criticism but yesterday was a joke. But like i keep saying each to their own.

The guys a liability has been for long enough.Im not agreeing with people booing him yesterday but its been blatantly obvious the guy shouldn't be there never mind being the Rangers captain.Yesterdays performance wasn't an isolated one off,he has been putting similar shit performances in for seasons. In saying that he is not alone the full defence is shit and for that matter the full senior squad aren't much better.As ive said before theres no one going to tell me or the majority of the Rangers support that we would miss and shed a tear over the loss of Simmonsen,Foster,Faure,Smith,Moshni,Zaliukas,McCulloch,Hutton,Templeton,Black,Boyd,Miller and Daly.McCall can only work with the shit he has but sometimes he has to make the big decisions like dropping the captain who is clearly past it.It should have been done long ago not waiting till the fans have had enough of this fool and start booing him at home on a Saturday afternoon.

I think Zaliukas is far from the worst. Certainly wouldn't have taken him off and left McCulloch on.