Dean Shiels

Amac9

He lacks consistency in terms of his performance level, but could flourish if he can gain a regular place. Fitness levels were not great either last season, but a good pre-season could sort that out.

I'm not sure what his best position is, but he has talent.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should never have been signed due to his visual impairment. Dean has no depth perception and a limited field of view and that's always going to hold him back.

If you are born or lose an eye when you are young you learn to compensate for it and can see as good as a person with 2 eyes, IMHO he wouldn't have

made it this far in football if he had problems with only having 1 eye, Shiels was just another 1 of Allys victims and with proper management could go on to

become a decent player.

If you are born or lose an eye when you are young you learn to compensate for it and can see as good as a person with 2 eyes, IMHO he wouldn't have

made it this far in football if he had problems with only having 1 eye, Shiels was just another 1 of Allys victims and with proper management could go on to

become a decent player.

It's cute that you have your own theories but as I said, it's basic biology. You need two eyes for depth perception. That's the ability to see the world in 3D and judge distances and speeds. You cannot do this with one eye. Great achievement to have come as far as he has but he'll always have massive limitations due to his vison.

Depends on how Mark Warburton looks to set his team up, if he is going to use Eustace as the anchor in a diamond shaped midfield then I think Sheils would work well as the attacking midfield point and link well with 2 strikers.

If however he sets up with Eustace as anchor with 3 across the midfield for instance, McLoud, Murdoch, Walsh then that would be a no,same if its 4 across the middle, 2 wingers and 2 CM no place for him there either imo

Dean Shiels can drive a car. His judgement of distance and speed can't be that bad.

But hey you know it all :rolleyes:

Don't take my word for it google is your friend. Start by asking - Why do humans have two eyes in the front of their head? There's some very real evolutionary benefits. When it comes to professional sport, having no depth perception and a restricted field of view places very clear disadvantages on a person. Especially in a sport like football and up against other athletes who have the benefit of both eyes.

Dean Shiels can drive a car. His judgement of distance and speed can't be that bad.

But hey you know it all :rolleyes:

The next thing you should know is that outside of about 20 feet, everybody sees the world as if they only had one eye. This means that your driving will be pretty much unchanged for everything that you see which is more than 20 feet away from you. But you do have to watch out for two things:

1) You will not have the same peripheral vision as you did before, because of your nose. This means that you will have somewhat of a "blind spot" on the side of your lost eye. You will need to learn to turn your head more frequently from side-to-side instead of merely relying on sideward glances from your remaining eye.

2) Within 20 feet you will not have the same level of depth perception as you did before. This means that you must be especially careful in parking, and you should avoid "tight spaces".

Don't take my word for it google is your friend. Start by asking - Why do humans have two eyes in the front of their head? There's some very real evolutionary benefits. When it comes to professional sport, having no depth perception and a restricted field of view places very clear disadvantages on a person. Especially in a sport like football and up against other athletes who have the benefit of both eyes.

Amputeeist

What do we expect from him this year?

Going by the way MW likes to play I think he could be a very useful player for us. There is definitely a player in there and like a number of players under McCoist's guidance we never saw the best of him.

Hopefully in a team that will get the ball down and play we see the player that Kilmarnock had a few years ago.

I expect him to work hard and be given the chance to do what he is good at. Run at defences who can't handle his pace. Give the boy a chance. Too many have been drummed out already.

With any new regime.. there will be many an improved performance. Dean is one imho. He was one of our better performers when he was given a chance.. and Stuart showed some faith in him.

I can imagine Mark W. giving him a chance. If he makes it good on him... if not.. good on Mark.

Meaning.... only players worth this jersey are fit to play -- like Dean... but better step it up. I think he can. (tu)

One good game then four invisible ones seems to be the routine.

that was actually an improvement on most of the others last year - how many false dawns did we have?

the same can be said for the likes of wallace, mcgregor, law etc.

think warburton will give them all a chance and if not up to it he'll get shot of whoever quickish

Liked Shiels towards the end of the season, he was on the only one comfortable taking the ball in, turning and playing passes forward. It was poor how much we relied on him to just to keep the ball for a spell, Murdoch is a worker, he's tidy on the ball, but Shiels was the only one capable of taking it in, turning and playing under pressure, even with a man marking him. As for Law, I think he's a decent player, but is not the type who'll start play and dictate the game, he's another quick player, dangerous when making late runs in the box and has popped up with some decent goals when needed.

Our balance is all off, I think that's the issue. I believe 4-2-3-1 is the way to go and Murdoch I think needs help to shore up attacking threats, whilst also having another sitting player to play off, keep possession and control the game. Eustace may be the answer here.

Further forward, I think Law is an option, providing he has two sitting in behind, but I'd prefer a hard working talent like Walsh to play wide left or right, someone similar on the opposite side, with a playmaker like Allan playing further forward, making passes to our wide players and front man. That has strength, power, pace and ability, Under McCall, the 4-4-2 left Murdoch and either Shiels or Law centrally and up against it when playing a middle 3, that pairing isn't suited to shoring up and keeping it tight.

The balance needs worked IMO, but I do think Shiels played well when given the chance and was unlucky he's been left out for so long.