Was It Worth It?

Poll  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Advocatt years worth it after what we have been through since+

I didn't really get to experience it at all as I am only 23 and my family aren't massively into football, so I wasn't watching many games from a very young age. So Id have to say based on the fact I don't feel I would have missed much had it not happened - no.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have we been through under advocaat? It was a risky scheme but the high heid yins have found us not guilty 3 times and this is coming up for number 4

With all the benefit of hindsight, and with 3 separate rulings on the case, we were found to have done nothing wrong.

We were acting on advice given to us by the lawyers at the time and thus far it has proven absolutely legitimate.

Even in the unlikely event HMRC's witch hunt against us is successful in the end, I still don't see how we can be found guilty given that we were following the best advice given by the lawyers we had and which was a common practice at the time.

There are many tax loopholes that get closed and if they are closed and you continue to use them then you get found guilty. You can't be found guilty of the loophole is closed after you stop using it.

Advocate years were not the problem it was the way SDM managed our club and that should not be forgotten .

Our troubles came directly from Lord Fucking Reid

Murray dropped us in bigger shit by running and not fighting

Until we were sold Rangers had done nothing wrong.

Once CW is in Jail and the final appeal is over heads should fucking roll.

Who at the SFA signed CW off as fit and proper.

I don't think you're right there.

I'm pretty sure the figure banded about was just below £90M sometime through his tenure . May well have been before we sold Gio , Albertz , Tugay and Reyna.

ive got nothing to back this up , other than vague memories , but I'm sure we kept reducing it until sometime during WS's 2nd spell.

I'm 90% sure I am right, due to share issues I believe the first set of figures after advocaat left showed we had no debt at all

I don't think it was tbh.

Don't get me wrong , the football under Advocaat was probably the best I'd seen coming from Rangers . Despite not having as big names as Gazza , Laudrup etc , the strength was the team as a whole and the style it played , with fast , passing football played on the deck.

Sadly , it's easy to forget , or uncomfortable to remember , that it really only lasted the first two years , and we literally spent millions ( about 20 on DeBoer and Flo , alone ) chasing the dream. Iirc we were close to £90M in debt at this time with two titles , few cups and a couple of memorable European runs to show for it.

We downsized under AMcL , and the success was instantaneous . With the only two cups he could win in his first season . The treble , the next season . And Helicopter Sunday , two years later.

All at a time of downsizing and during c....c's continued big spending. That in itself shows what we can do with a smaller budget with the right man , at the right time , in charge.

So it's a no from me , despite it being the best football I've watched at Ibrox.

True. Advocaat is over-rated. I disliked the guy in his latter years at the club, and hated him with a passion when he fucked off.

I don't think you're right there.

I'm pretty sure the figure banded about was just below £90M sometime through his tenure . May well have been before we sold Gio , Albertz , Tugay and Reyna.

ive got nothing to back this up , other than vague memories , but I'm sure we kept reducing it until sometime during WS's 2nd spell.

Correct. We were in shit loads of debt at the time. With the occassional bit of financial wizardry this debt came down, but I suspect that was from creative accounting rather than sound financial management. And by creative accounting I dont mean illegality just Murray moving debt around.

I didn't really get to experience it at all as I am only 23 and my family aren't massively into football, so I wasn't watching many games from a very young age. So Id have to say based on the fact I don't feel I would have missed much had it not happened - no.

THis sums it up. A few years of enjoyment, but the future and young fans were totally disregarded.

Disgraceful thread, fuck all to do with Advocatt, he also got good money in remember, Nearly 7 million back for Flo, £4.3m Reyna, 8.5 Gio.

He is the man who made Murray Park happen, until then we jumped about in a mini bus and trained where ever we could.

Advocaat only spent what Murray allowed him to spend or have people forget that? We also played some of the best football I have ever seen Rangers play under him and hope the new manager emulates him.

And I still don't remember ebt's being illegal. Did we not win the big tax case?

And I would put money on we will win the appeal as well, fuck HMRC and Lloyd's fucking bank for forcing the sale to Whyte, and that cunt Murray for doing what the bank told him to save his own fucking skin. Bet he regrets selling us now, tens of millions he lost on the sale because of the big tax case which he won.

I did an article for VB many moons ago regarding Murray and his mismanagement of Rangers, financially & his failure to protect the club and it's fans from 'persecution' except where his name was mentioned.

I blame him, first and foremost, for what happened, then the shyster that is Whyte, for Murray to claim he did the proper background checks is wrong, a two minute google search told you everything you needed to know about that cunt, but then Murray was always good at the smoke & mirrors routine.

1998-2001 was not to blame for where we are now.

Where we are now falls at the feet of two men, Whyte and the arsehole that sold the club to him. No-one else.

This

I'm always astonished at how Murray always seems to escape any sort of blame for what happened.

BTW, EBT's started in Advocaats last year in managing our club, between 1998-2000 we never used them, and for the record as things stand, they are LEGAL.

Facts are always welcome in these types of threads (tu)

Nothing to do with Dick Advocaat.

And the 90's early 2000s were our best ever years as a club, no one who lived through those days and actually went to games would take those days back.

The last few years are mainly down the bigoted agenda of people in positions of power who have used influence to try to destroy us, some of the advocaat spending was foolhardy but not the main problem

The only person to blame for all that's went on over the past few years is Craig shite. EBTs had nothing to do with it. It was down to shite not paying taxes, although hmrc did stick it right to us because they thought we owed them. Thought everyone already knew this.

BTW, voted yes, some of the players we had were amazing. I actually feel sorry for the younger fans who missed it all & the shite players they've had to watch playing over the past few years.

Disagree that he is the only person to blame.

Murray must take some blame for selling to a crook like Whyte.

CG and co must take some blame for blowing their way through all that cash with not a damn thing to show for it except a carpark and edmiston house, oh and wifi.

Craig whyte might be the guy that takes the most blame, but he is by no means the onyl person to blame in all of this.

The fact that some believe think Advocaat/Smith/9IAR etc was to blame, that EBTs were illegal, or that Rangers did anything illegal shows how much bullshit, lies and nonsense has been spouted on forums etc for the last 3 years. Some folk havent a fucking clue why we are int he position we are in now because theyve read so much lies.

I can understand the media and the taigs muddying the water, but some of our fans did it too, and they should be ashamed.