Fraser aird

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MW must have had a reason to relocate him to RB, probably because his energy and attacking instinct at RB suits our style.

Otherwise why not just loan him out as a winger if he didn't rate him? 

Just now, K.A.I said:

No idea? If Airds the best we can do though ? ... 

Hopefully not (unless his loan improves him).  I think Warburton will sign players who are versatile and can cover several positions. 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Many Folks in this thread would have written of Davie Weir when he was 20/21 !!! 

different lads develop at different time but we are hyper critical of nearly every young player! 

Davie Weir when with Falkirk was exactly the type of player we should have been signing, we got him some 15 years later after sterling service with Hearts and Everton, Gougn before Dundee United  etc

This seems to be an issue Warburtons addressing, the Ibrox last pay day pension fund is hopefully in the past.

Can he come back as cover for Tavernier - yes

Is he good enough to play 5 or 10  games a season and come on as a sub in another 5 or 10- Probably 

Who exactly are we going to sign as a second choice RB? I can just imagine MW on the phone now- "Alright Arsene. Any chance we could sign Callum Chambers for £300k? He'll only be playing a handful of games every season but some of our support don't rate our 2nd choice Right back so my hands are tied" lolz ?

9 hours ago, pcbear said:

Davie Weir when with Falkirk was exactly the type of player we should have been signing, we got him some 15 years later after sterling service with Hearts and Everton, Gougn before Dundee United  etc

This seems to be an issue Warburtons addressing, the Ibrox last pay day pension fund is hopefully in the past.

... Kenny Miller doesn't like this. 

He's only just turned 21, and he's played a lot of first team football for someone so young. I've never seen much other than pace from him, but hopefully he comes back next season an able backup to Tav.

Just stuck the game on Sky Sports now to see how he's getting on.

12 hours ago, SirAlistairofMcCoist said:

I remember he was named our YPOTY in 13/14. Truly dark days

He did well though. Scoring some important goals too. Fraiser is a diehard Rangers supporter and always ran until he dropped. If our whole squad acted the way he did we would have been promoted last season. 

10 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

He did well though. Scoring some important goals too. Fraiser is a diehard Rangers supporter and always ran until he dropped. If our whole squad acted the way he did we would have been promoted last season. 

If the whole squad had his talent we'd have been relegated ;) 

He's fast and decent with the ball at his feet. Defensively a bit suspect, but probably our cheapest option as a backup for Tavernier and not a terrible option. 

He'd be a capable backup imo. From his point of view it would probably be nicer to play out his career in the MLS though. He'd get game time and might feature more for Canada. In his position I'd pick a starting spot over being injury cover for a player you'll never be as good as.

55 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

If the whole squad had his talent we'd have been relegated ;) 

I was speaking about effort not talent. We both know we had the talent within our squad to win last season. The players didn't match up to expectations and failed us. Aird was nowhere near or worst player either. Some so called seasoned pros shat it.

Apt username BTW.:wink:

2 hours ago, AlBear85 said:

Starts tonight, Vancouver v Portland, on Sky Sports 3 at 10pm if anyone is interested in seeing how he is going.

Noticed they have a banner "Wilies Corner" in honour of Willie Johnston. Nice touch. Airds had a couple of decent runs. Think he could still have a chance at Rangers.  

4 minutes ago, GMac said:

Noticed they have a banner "Wilies Corner" in honour of Willie Johnston. Nice touch. Airds had a couple of decent runs. Think he could still have a chance at Rangers.  

His delivery from wide is useful too, gets a good whip on the ball. Add that to his energy, he could offer us a good squad option at RB.

Only saw the first half last night but I was fairly impressed with Aird.  Made a few great runs and was a real attacking threat down the Whitecaps right side.  His crossing was much improved and got himself into a decent shooting position at one point which just whistled by the post.  However for me the biggest area where he had come on was his confidence.  He outperformed most of his teammates and his head didn't drop if he made a mistake, and there were a couple but nothing too major.  Maybe this is because he doesn't constantly have the crowd on his back, which really seemed to affect his performances during his last season and a half with us.  

Based on that, and it is just one performance to be fair, I'd take him back as cover until the end of the season when he returns in November and see what he can add to the squad.  If he can take his new found confidence over there is no reason why he can't be an effective squad player for us.  If he still can't handle the pressure of being at Rangers then it would be best for all parties if he moves on.