Zelalem v Alloa

TMB

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Zelalem is good enough to play for Arsenal yet.  I'm pretty sure he'd like to come back to Glasgow and play in Europe, Old Firm games, step up a level, etc.  It all depends on the gaffer I suppose.  I doubt Warburton would keep him around if he didn't feel he could contribute.  Oduwa wasn't contributing enough and back he went to Spurs. 

I think another point to note is, the young boy has been hyped up by Arsenal, USA and a number of high profile football/soccer publications/players/ex players/managers etc as being the real deal, the next big thing. As such, and before he even came here, some, understandably, but probably unfairly were expecting him to be Messi, beat 4 or 5 players and ping one into the top corner every week. In reality, that's not his game nor his style and it's not his fault many are talking him up so highly. He's just a young boy trying to learn his trade. And if you compare him to Ball for example, Ball almost arrived without anyone knowing, with little or no expectation. However, I think he's done fine too just like Zelalem. As expectations for both were at opposite ends of the scale though, some of us can unfairly, maybe even sub consciously see things differently. If Zelalem arrived in a similar manner to Ball I think the majority of fans would say he's been a success IMO.

I thought he played well and would definitely have him back next year. He is only going to improve,  and hopefully bulk up a bit.

Better than an unknown kid who would take time to fit into our system and then you never know how they will react to being away from home etc. 

He's already highly regarded by guys like Arsene Wenger and Jurgen Klinsmann who must be a bit bemused by comments like, 'not good enough for the SPL'. 

I've been a bit critical of him recently but today he showed why MW has been picking him, I think he only lost the ball twice in the whole match and was definitely one of our better performers.

He always looked a bit skinny and lightweight but he looked huge when Burt came on!

In a possession based team he is an ideal player. He's a quality young player and I predict his career will show up a few on here and their opinions.

The ott criticism he gets is primarily down to being an Arsenal player, with some convinced that means a teenager playing his first season of senior football should be consistently exceptional. I blame people playing too much football manager.

The boy can play the game, and is technically tidy. He has a lot of potential. He isn't a flair player, he isn't a grafter or physical.... neither was Xavi and he did alright. I'm not sure Zelalem will hit those heights, but he is potentially a very classy Premiership standard player. 

As others have said, he really isn't suited to the 100mph of the Scottish game. IMO he'd do well in a more technically focused league. 

4 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how he played today.  He was passing the ball around again and seems very composed in doing so.  He did lose it a couple of times but busted his arse chasing it down and won it back again which was great to see.  He was shooting more than usual and I have a feeling he was told to do that.  Came close with some of his shots but it wasn't his day today.  The people around me were on his back today and I feel like this level of criticism isn't deserved.  He's 18, he's still learning, his game time has been limited, but he's done pretty well for us overall.  This kid could've went to any number of clubs but decided to play for Rangers, even in the Championship.  Personally, I do hope we comes back next season. 

One criticism I've got, is that his bibles are not worth any money.

5 hours ago, BF2 said:

In my opinion, from what I've seen the lad definitely has potential, but he definitely isn't suited to the Scottish game. He's far too lightweight and struggles play his natural game because of the hammer throwers. A loan to the English Championship/League 1 I reckon is his next move.

Makes you wonder why the rest of the world isn't following Scotland's footballing template -- making very good players look inadequate :craphead:

8 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

People are genuinely blind if they can't see that there is a player in him,we're famous for giving out dogs abuse when it comes to younger players if they don't immediately start playing out of their skin for us.

Who knows where he could end up in years to come.

Who gives a flying fuck though?  He's obviously a tidy player but he's on  another club's books so it doesn't matter how good he may be in the future, what counts is what he produces now.  Whilst he is improving, so far he has produced next to nothing given the extensive game time he's had.  If you want to make allowances for youngsters then we should be playing Jordon Thompson.  Saying that; nobody should be giving him abuse. 

8 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

People are genuinely blind if they can't see that there is a player in him,we're famous for giving out dogs abuse when it comes to younger players if they don't immediately start playing out of their skin for us.

Who knows where he could end up in years to come.

Yep we clamour for youth and then are overly critical if they are not playing out of their skin! 

We are not a patient lot! 

3 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Yep we clamour for youth and then are overly critical if they are not playing out of their skin! 

We are not a patient lot! 

He's a loan player.  His age is irrelevant; he must be judged on what he can give us right now.  So far that has been very little.  

He can do really good stuff, but doesn't do it enough. Sometimes the ball stics to his feet and he make space when there is 3 players about him, other times he loses the ball when no one is near him. Liked that he was shooting a bit more, but also needs to do better here as well. Think he would be more suited when we play teams that don't have 10 men behind the ball.

He would flourish in the English leagues.