How much can we afford???

Realistically if next season goes as well as this year, then we will be having to bat chairmen away from our doors every time an EPL manager gets sacked. I know hes said he here for 3 years (maybe more) but if someone came in and offered him £50k+ a week would we/ could we/ should we match that to try to keep a hold of him even for a couple more years?

That would mean paying him £2.6m a year. It would take a big chunk of our money but if we were doing well in europe (after christmas), he kept on finding these potential stars, saving money on players, he'd effectively be saving far more than the £2.6M he'd be getting paid. So in that case i'd be worth it for me.

Its not something i thought i'd worry about after one year but who the hell would replace him, big shoes and all that.

Don't think money will come into it. He'll leave when two things happen: the right club comes in for him (not the club offering the biggest wages or biggest war-chest) and more importantly, when he feels he's finished the job here. Only he knows how the second part is defined, but I reckon back to back league titles and a euro final/trophy a few years down the line isn't totally unrealistic.

I've no doubt in my mind the board will be trying to get him to sign a new deal. As long as he is achieving his goals here, progressing in terms of his experience i.e. European football, I reckon he'all stay.

Warburton won't be here for good, he's an ambitious man and unless we moved to the English league or a European super league I reckon he'll want to test himself against better opposition.

For now we should enjoy this while we can and hope he lays done the foundations of a positive and bright future for us.

17 minutes ago, mclovin9091 said:

Realistically if next season goes as well as this year, then we will be having to bat chairmen away from our doors every time an EPL manager gets sacked. I know hes said he here for 3 years (maybe more) but if someone came in and offered him £50k+ a week would we/ could we/ should we match that to try to keep a hold of him even for a couple more years?

That would mean paying him £2.6m a year. It would take a big chunk of our money but if we were doing well in europe (after christmas), he kept on finding these potential stars, saving money on players, he'd effectively be saving far more than the £2.6M he'd be getting paid. So in that case i'd be worth it for me.

Its not something i thought i'd worry about after one year but who the hell would replace him, big shoes and all that.

Previously the gaffer has said he got into football after doing well as a trader in the city. He was comfortable financially and wanted to follow his dream so I don't think he will be swayed by 50k or more as a salary.

What will sway him is the opportunity to manage a top 6 (or thereabouts) EPL side but I don't think that will happen until he is really successful with us. If he's getting European football with us and doing then I just don't see him going to say, a West Brom or even an Everton. The other thing in our favour of keeping him long term is that none of the big English clubs are actually managed by Englishmen...

16 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

Don't think money will come into it. He'll leave when two things happen: the right club comes in for him (not the club offering the biggest wages or biggest war-chest) and more importantly, when he feels he's finished the job here. Only he knows how the second part is defined, but I reckon back to back league titles and a euro final/trophy a few years down the line isn't totally unrealistic.

:lol::lol:

28 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I really don't think it's all about money for him. Whilst he's improving us, developing his own skills, is being backed financially squad wise, and has achievable goals that motivate him I think he'll be pretty content.

Here's hoping anyways.

That's a good synopsis, I actually worry that if an offer from an EPL club, around the London area, comes in that he may be tempted as his family do not appear to want to relocate.  

Ridiculous to even suggest they kind of wages when we are in the Scottish leagues.

Warburton is at Rangers to complete a project, which is winning the Premiership and getting us into the Champions league whilst making the club productive again in all the behind the scenes stuff ie scouting, academy etc.

Once he completed this, he will move on to his next project which will no doubt be an EPL team whose funds could far outweigh ours. We will then move on and move forward as no person is bigger than the club.

Until then, let's enjoy this ultimate professional whilst he is here and appreciate the work he is doing to get our great club back on track. 

4 minutes ago, scouseblue said:

Club can't and won't pay anything like that , about 10% of that figure you've mentioned as a wage is the ceiling that's in place  I'd suggest .

5k a week... Surely he's on more than that

3 minutes ago, daverfc13 said:

5k a week... Surely he's on more than that

He's on a lot more than that , im sure we can't  match it nor Even come close . I would think we'd have to be creative in terms of finance and hope he'd be incredibly flexible . 

53 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

I agree with you there. Warburton is more than capable of winning 3-4 league titles and at least a Europa league with us. I think some continental silverware is definitely on his agenda but he's too clever to come out and say it publicly, knowing the likely mhedia reaction.

Good times ahead Bears. Good times!

Like a lot of people are saying...I don't think he's in it for the money. I think Warburton wants to help build something and that is what he's doing. He won't leave because he's being offered more money and will likely see out his contract and if he feels like 3 years isn't enough then will agree to stay. 

That's just my impression. If he was in it for the money he wouldn't be in Scotland.

I'm sure hes not all about the money, Barton probably wouldn't be up here either if it was about the money.  MW is clearly trying to sell loyalty, discipline and a fucking buzzing atmosphere in the dressing room.  As mentioned if a top 6 team came in for him would he go, probably BUT what if the likes of Everton came in for him??? He has the nous to make them a top 6 team surely.

I'd guess that he's probably on £15-18K at the minute.

As for the scoffs at the £50k a week. Why not thats potentially a total of 3 players wages (for argument Wallace £15k, Waghorn £15k and top striker £20k) when we are back established in European competition. Now i'm not saying we do with-out the players but, lets say we sell Rossiter in 3 years time for £8M, then the profit IRO £6.2M once the £250k purchase price and his wages of 10k are taken off (but not including bonuses or yearly increase if any) more than covers MWs wages for the 4 years he would have been at the club at that point and leaves £2m spare. 

Ifs and buts, but i do believe that we could afford £50k a week if needs be, but then i suppose it would come down to us being loyal to him and allowing him to further his career. 

MW is a business man. Salaries below arent accurate, just for talking sakes.

So I have to wonder... would he stay at Rangers on 10k a week for a few years, build up some league wins, SC cup victories and possible European progress... then take a 50k a week job with a top Premier side or his favourites Tottenham...

Or would he take the money and leave next year for a 25k a week Championship team or lower end Premier League team and try advance them up?

Lower money with more chance of success and good CV or Money straight away with possible success but possible failure?