Is Going to England gonna start up again ?

I don't think it will ever happen.

However, our recent history has blown away the financial argument against such a move. The consensus is that English clubs won't let us in because they will lose out financially. The last few years have shown that clubs are financially better off with Rangers in their league even if Rangers are taking away the prize money. Lower league clubs were better off with Rangers present even with Rangers taking prize money from them. And Premier League clubs were worse off with Rangers absent even though, theoretically, they all moved up one place in terms of prize money.

In short, English clubs might actually be better off with Rangers in the league.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Football league and Premier league are two different entities. If the Football League invited us in and we gained promotion up through the divisions, the PL couldn't refuse to let us in. Reading between the lines I'd say they're actually thinking about it. They would have to bring in 8 clubs. From where? The top six from the Conference (national league) and the top two from the Welsh league? That'll be a real money spinner  (sarcasm).

Why not 2 from the National league and six from Scotland? I honestly think this might happen. Whether or not we should do it is a separate thing. Personally I'd jump at the chance. What loyalty did the SFA show us in our hour of need? What help did they offer? None. They stuck the knife in just like the SFL, SPL and their members did.

Most of us would've jumped at the chance 4 years ago, so why not in a couple of years time? Yes it mean lower league football again but this time it would be a lot more interesting. That's without mentioning the money aspect. 

1 hour ago, AllyMcCoist said:

If Sky want it to happen it will happen simple as that

But to be honest I'm more than happy with where we are

In 3 years time it might not be SKY, YouTube, BT, Netflix etc will all have the revenue to take on a bid. Things might change with a new monopoly.

2 hours ago, cumnockbear said:

Scottish game would be dead if it did.

Pish!!! Scotland doesn't need to the Old Firm - quoted by the deluded fans of the other Scottish clubs. 

Don't think I could be arsed sitting through another journey. I want us back to playing regular European football and those days will be long gone if we're back down in a lower league. 

I think there is mileage in this. Our board would bite their hand off for one of the places, even if it meant at least four years in the lower divisions. But first the FL need 90% of members to vote for this and that is an extreme tall order.

Only chance of the Old Firm moving south is no chance. Clubs in the top 2 leagues would always vote against it since it's less money and opportunities for them. We really should just stop it ourselves. Gets embarrassing when you consistently want to it happen but never does. Focus on our Scottish league to try and make it better. 

31 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

Unless TV/growth demands a British league it won't happen.

Why would England share anything of value/opportunity with this country - they never have.

As it stands most of this country watches English football, consumes the advertised products and has their clubs shirts on the washing line - they are quite happy to punt us their product, they have no need to cut our teams in on the action and spark a revival in Scottish football.

Non-starter and we shouldn't even talk about it as it's delusionally desperate. 

I think it could be a roundabout way of talking about bring in a British league. Where is the money in the lower leagues in England? Add in the Jocks and you have something different to sell. Could season 20-21 be about where you finish in the Scottish Premiership decides what league you are in, in England? 

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

I can't see this happening any time soon unless SKY push for the OF to join the English league - then it could become a real possibility.

As always - money talks.

This..............next round of contracts with SKY and BT Sport, if they want it ,it will happen.

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

That would be ideal 

Have you never heard of the Anglo-Scottish Cup? It was tried before and failed. As to the English Leagues, we would probably take about ten years to be in a position to challenge for any trophy so not for me, even if UEFA sanctioned it, which they won't.

2 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Have you never heard of the Anglo-Scottish Cup? It was tried before and failed. As to the English Leagues, we would probably take about ten years to be in a position to challenge for any trophy so not for me, even if UEFA sanctioned it, which they won't.

That had no prestige or history, and you’re right, it failed. I was thinking more radically of putting big well-established English and Scottish cups up for joint competition. Winner takes both.

1 minute ago, Inspector Sands said:

That had no prestige or history, and you’re right, it failed. I was thinking more radically of putting big well-established English and Scottish cups up for joint competition. Winner takes both.

It may have had no prestige but both we and the mhanks competed in it.

37 minutes ago, WilliamFyfe said:

I'd of went for it a few years ago when their was talk of us buying some club going bust

English football is where we want to be if we want to win European cups I would say

Get into the EPL, find a rich owner, sign quality players 

You sound like everything that is wrong with modern football.

2 hours ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

Unless TV/growth demands a British league it won't happen.

Why would England share anything of value/opportunity with this country - they never have.

As it stands most of this country watches English football, consumes the advertised products and has their clubs shirts on the washing line - they are quite happy to punt us their product, they have no need to cut our teams in on the action and spark a revival in Scottish football.

Non-starter and we shouldn't even talk about it as it's delusionally desperate. 

BOOM.

The Preacher has just served the coffee.

Now, servile daydream believers, breathe in that robust aroma and wake the fuck up.

1 hour ago, Shuggy said:

Yes, please. We'll never advance in this goldfish bowl. The CL is much harder to win now.

The downside is we can forget about regular trophies.

If the welsh clubs got in, why not the Old Firm?

Wales didn't set up a league until years after Cardiff, Swansea & Wrexham were playing within the English system. That's the only reason they are in it today.