the gherald "No Surrender to the Oiarraa

9 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

So, because I don't think a game of football should be polluted with shite about terrorist groups (in this case the IRA), that makes me a 'fenian?'

Do you know how stupid that is?

In fact, don't worry. Nae bother.  :wink:

Get yourself to fuck off this site ya tarrier bastard , you have got away with it for ages on here.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WadeWilson said:

The people singing this kind of nonsense are idiots.

Anyone who doesn't get why they are idiots are even smaller idiots.

I would say General Sports (?!) for this but since it's about small-minded idiots chanting about dated paramilitary groups then carry on.

Menchildren.

I think you are an idiot.

Anyone who doesn't get why,is an even smaller idiot.

Do you think political/religious/divisive songs are only sung by UK football fans? (And the anti-English bigotry spouted by the tartan trannies is classed in the same bracket)

Like eastern European fans don't sing or chant anything bad,ok so i don't understand the words but monkey chants to black players are universally understood.

1 hour ago, WadeWilson said:

If there's any chance we can talk about the European Championshps without mentioning politics, religion or war then that would be good.

Sorry, I forgot I was in the West of Scotland... Where we don't even support the team that didn't even make the tournament.

What a pathetic bunch.

In fact, if we could talk about anything without talking about politics, religion or war then... ach, forget it.

As you were, you sadsack scummers. :541:

It's supposed to be a game of football, for fuck sake. 

Its perhaps not the wisest of songs, then again football fans are not always reknown for the wisdom when it comes to song choice.

But in terms of offensiveness - I find it a whole let less offensive than those, particularly from countries which formally sat behind the old Iron Curtain, who continue to boo and denigrate footballers and any other people due to the colour of their skin.

Who seem to see homophobia as an expression of "manliness" and who appear to condone football hooliganism - the latter referring to the Deputy Chairman of the Russion parliament who sits on the Executive committee of the Russian football union - the country which will host World Cup 2018.. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/13/russia-officials-fan-violence-marseille-england?CMP=share_btn_tw

Bearing in mind of course during the course of this tournament an individual walked into a gay nightclub in Orlando and shot dead over 50 people in cold blood.

So given the foregoing concerns you will understand why some would consider songs expressing defiance against terrorist groups pretty low in terms of the priorities for column space in a newspaper.

11 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

Its perhaps not the wisest of songs, then again football fans are not always reknown for the wisdom when it comes to song choice.

But in terms of offensiveness - I find it a whole let less offensive than those, particularly from countries which formally sat behind the old Iron Curtain, who continue to boo and denigrate footballers and any other people due to the colour of their skin.

Who seem to see homophobia as an expression of "manliness" and who appear to condone football hooliganism - the latter referring to the Deputy Chairman of the Russion parliament who sits on the Executive committee of the Russian football union - the country which will host World Cup 2018.. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/13/russia-officials-fan-violence-marseille-england?CMP=share_btn_tw

Bearing in mind of course during the course of this tournament an individual walked into a gay nightclub in Orlando and shot dead over 50 people in cold blood.

So given the foregoing concerns you will understand why some would consider songs expressing defiance against terrorist groups pretty low in terms of the priorities for column space in a newspaper.

The article and the man who penned it are the real problem here, not the fans from either side. From what I see, he was just stoking up the flames of sectarianism and get the reaction he expected.

The ROI fans could indeed have been offended for being accused of being ra lovers when the opposite is true for the majority of them. They are the self same who paid full respects to the NI fan who died. Being offended for all the wrong reasons, is the domain of our very own plastics.

The English fans on their part, were at the wind up as most fans do and in my book, not the best choice to keep the peace, but had every right to chant it. Of course in doing so, you may expect retaliation, but that is maybe what they wanted, as some do, as we have seen thus far in this tournament.

The author is all that is wrong and those who are like minded.

Is the Herald trying to rehabilitate the IRA, as an acceptable form of Terrorism are the people they murdered any less dead, would the Herald still object if instead of the IRA it was ISIS or the Taliban the English fans were singing about.Now near on a weekly bases it continues to reconfirm why I should not buy this rubbish

4 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

I would say General Sports (?!) for this but since it's about small-minded idiots chanting about dated paramilitary groups then carry on.

Menchildren.

Away to fuck 

one of the biggest trolls on the forum

4 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

Menchildren.

I agree that it is immature. Immature is what a group of lads with a drink in them do.

It is not however sectarian. This is the part that people are angry with.

We are sanitising football so much that its on a road to becoming like watching an episode of Gladiators with foam fingers in the air. No doubt that will draw comparisons to nazi salutes though.

12 hours ago, harlands plater said:

I've noticed recently that it seems to be offensive to find the IRA offensive. I wonder what sort of history our grandchildren will be taught in an independent Scotland, if it were to come about.

Aye the narrative changes year by year and in Scotland specifically those Scots murdered by the IRA have been airbrushed from history with the victims families given less consideration than the bigots who took their lives.

5 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

If there's any chance we can talk about the European Championshps without mentioning politics, religion or war then that would be good.

Sorry, I forgot I was in the West of Scotland... Where we don't even support the team that didn't even make the tournament.

What a pathetic bunch.

In fact, if we could talk about anything without talking about politics, religion or war then... ach, forget it.

As you were, you sadsack scummers. :541:

It's supposed to be a game of football, for fuck sake. 

Speaking of the team that didn't make the tournament, we better stop singing The Flower of Scotland, as it's about victory over the English at Bannockburn, don't want to offend. 

I dont see see how singing about the ira is sectarian, then again I find people are far too offended by not a lot. 

Singing it outside an Irish pub, for no reason than 'they are Irish' is idiotic though, if that is the case. 

Most of this stuffs boils down to folk being idiots rather than things being sectarian, coupled with others ability to be offended at near anything and it's quite the mix. 

I did think when I was a boy that singing at football about how many popes had died v the queen still living and F***ing the pope and some terrorists and what not - was all a bit strange tbh. 

That was until my Dad told me that all that matters was those eleven on the park and when you sing it should be to motivate them and nothing else. I've kept that with me. 

My son then says to me at one of his first games, what's that "Billy Boys song about"?  after explaining to him that it was in support of a protestant street gang who would fight catholics in Glasgow back in the 30's...he said - "isn't Amoruso a catholic?"

4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I did think when I was a boy that singing at football about how many popes had died v the queen still living and F***ing the pope and some terrorists and what not - was all a bit strange tbh. 

That was until my Dad told me that all that matters was those eleven on the park and when you sing it should be to motivate them and nothing else. I've kept that with me. 

My son then says to me at one of his first games, what's that "Billy Boys song about"?  after explaining to him that it was in support of a protestant street gang who would fight catholics in Glasgow back in the 30's...he said - "isn't Amoruso a catholic?"

Up the Protestant army.:wink:

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Did you explain that the majority singing it would be because it's a well known football chant (it's associated with it, not about it) and not that they're in support of a group from the 1930's? 

I'd hazard a guess that for many it's about generating atmosphere than caring for the ins and outs of what songs mean. 

10 minutes ago, TheBluebells said:

Did you explain that the majority singing it would be because it's a well known football chant (it's associated with it, not about it) and not that they're in support of a group from the 1930's? 

I'd hazard a guess that for many it's about generating atmosphere than caring for the ins and outs of what songs mean. 

Yes, I told him it was a football chant borne out of hatred for Catholics delivered by many people who wouldn't really know much about it's origins and yes you are correct, it is perhaps about creating an atmosphere. He stopped singing it knowing his Grandad and cousins are catholic and knowing it was disrespectful to half of Souness's signings (the bit about motivating the players on the park) 

But because some choose not to sing these songs at Ibrox doesn't mean they still don't despise the IRA for what they did/do - it's just how some choose to support the Gers.

Just like the political party you vote for or the woman/man you marry should never be decided by the team you support -  cos that is daft. 

However no one, absolutely no one - should tell or lambaste you for the way you choose to support this majestic historic old club of ours, as it continues to welcome and attract a broad spectrum of the community - the way it should be...