Much, much better.

K.A.I

Watched the game today and I was impressed.

We weren't spectacular by any stretch but that was a good, solid, professional performance (with the exception of our usual scare at the back for their offside goal, which I thought was the right call. We were on the receiving end of a similar decision a week ago at Tynecastle where the linesman took his time to chop off a goal but he also gave the right decision in the end)

We were in total control of that game and most players stepped up to be counted.

I still think we have a long way to go in terms of improvement and all criticisms aimed before were perfectly valid but that was a satisfying win.

I hate saying platform to build on because there's been too many false dawns with this team but when you think about it, since the last game at Tynecastle that's 2 pretty solid wins for us against Hearts and Aberdeen so it's the perfect reaction - even if we need to wait and see how we keep pushing on.

I hate saying it to buzzkill a little but I still don't see what Garner brings us. He doesn't even seem like a football player. 

For all Waghorn, Miller and Dodoo's faults at least they have a style of play. Something to offer even if they aren't playing well (Waghorn), getting too old (Miller) and inconsistent/limited (Dodoo) - I don't even see a style of play, potential, skill levels, goals return or anything from Garner. No different to James Beattie when he was playing with us.

I'll end on a positive note again so that's not the final thought - I thought Barry McKay was the best player on the pitch. Nice runs, some decent link-up play and a lot fresher looking. 

Keep it going Rangers. Please.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McKay is Barrie, not Barry. He is often excellent and I don't understand why we regularly lambast such a young, excellent player.

Regarding Garner - he seems to excel at winning headers so he certainly provides something we don't have. He pressed their backline and gave them not a moments peace.

My opinion on the manager hasn't changed to be honest. I don't think he's the man for us despite these 2 results but I wouldn't sack him mid-way through the season. 

He deserves the season to prove me wrong. If not act and rebuild in the summer.

The worst thing that would happen to us would be a grey-area scenario where we finish second, by about 20-25 points but win the Scottish Cup and the last Old Firm game or something and people can't see clearly for it and we don't make the right decisions.

Not that beating Celtic and winning the Scottish Cup is ever a bad thing before the resident forum twisted bastards misunderstand the point.

Edit - just seen the couple of comments above regarding Garner. I just don't see it. Each to their own, though - he's just not my type of player at all. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

My opinion on the manager hasn't changed to be honest. I don't think he's the man for us despite these 2 results but I wouldn't sack him mid-way through the season. 

He deserves the season to prove me wrong. If not act and rebuild in the summer.

The worst thing that would happen to us would be a grey-area scenario where we finish second, by about 20-25 points but win the Scottish Cup and the last Old Firm game or something and people can't see clearly for it and we don't make the right decisions.

Not that beating Celtic and winning the Scottish Cup is ever a bad thing because the resident forum twisted bastards misunderstand the point.

I think the last two performances has tipped me back into the undecided category where as after the game at Tynecastle I didn't think he could turn it round,he's started to prove me wrong and long may it continue.

Completely disagree about Garner. If he wasn't leading the line we wouldn't have the performances and results we've had against Aberdeen and Hearts. Wins an incredible amount of headers and gives us a focus when we go long. The ovation he got from the support when he went off said it all.

The pleading aspect was that not only was the commitment there today , but a lot of good football was played . This is a lot more like the standard I'd expect , though unfortunately we've hardly seen this season . 

Early days though , and next week will be a test to see if we can carry that to away games where weve struggled a bit under MW . 

Garner is worth a start for his nuisance value alone, rattles defenders minds and bodies from minute 1 to minute 90 creating all sorts of mayhem and space, he also has a sharp footballing brain and when his feet catch up he will be a player alright.

I like him.

31 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Watched the game today and I was impressed.

We weren't spectacular by any stretch but that was a good, solid, professional performance (with the exception of our usual scare at the back for their offside goal, which I thought was the right call. We were on the receiving end of a similar decision a week ago at Tynecastle where the linesman took his time to chop off a goal but he also gave the right decision in the end)

We were in total control of that game and most players stepped up to be counted.

I still think we have a long way to go in terms of improvement and all criticisms aimed before were perfectly valid but that was a satisfying win.

I hate saying platform to build on because there's been too many false dawns with this team but when you think about it, since the last game at Tynecastle that's 2 pretty solid wins for us against Hearts and Aberdeen so it's the perfect reaction - even if we need to wait and see how we keep pushing on.

I hate saying it to buzzkill a little but I still don't see what Garner brings us. He doesn't even seem like a football player. 

For all Waghorn, Miller and Dodoo's faults at least they have a style of play. Something to offer even if they aren't playing well (Waghorn), getting too old (Miller) and inconsistent/limited (Dodoo) - I don't even see a style of play, potential, skill levels, goals return or anything from Garner. No different to James Beattie when he was playing with us.

I'll end on a positive note again so that's not the final thought - I thought Barry McKay was the best player on the pitch. Nice runs, some decent link-up play and a lot fresher looking. 

Keep it going Rangers. Please.

Good post mate but you are way off with Garner today . He was fantastic I thought .

Maybe not the finest striker we ever had . I'm warming to him ,especially last few games

33 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Without taking anything away from today's performance which was excellent I think the more open games at Ibrox tends to suit us and it will be interesting how we get on at Hamilton who will probably sit a lot deeper.

(tu)

I still think our main issue is with beating teams that just want to sit deep and defend. We don't seem to have midfielders creative enough open up teams that just defend deep, this is where why we needed a player like Kranjcar.

Thought everyone to a man today was excellent. Especially Garner. You need to watch JG off the ball he's non stop pulling defenders all over the place. I still think we are not playing to his natural game but ATM he is the first name along with Miller in the team for me.

If we play like we did today against the tarriers we will run them close. Still need to be a bit more clinical though. Despite waghorns woeful finishing he looked good. No negatives for me today we gave imo the best of the rest if you like a good doing over. 

Disagree about Garner, I thought he was decent. Good fight. The only thing really missing (dodgy defending at their offside goal excluded) was clinical football in the final third. It's a worry, without McKay's goal from their mistake it was nervier than it needed to be.

Massive improvement though, players and management seem to have rediscovered the attitude required.

Garner and Hodson aside - that's our fucking championship side that made hearts look shite today (last week it was only Hill/Hodson/Garner)

I feel like a few higher quality players, especially in the midfield and winger for example and we'd be so much better and consistent week in week out.

Disagree about Garner. I think he has been one of the key factors in our improvement over the last two weeks. Rather than taking chances trying to play the ball out from the back, the long ball towards Garner offers a great alternative, his hold ups and headed flick-ons allowing us to retain possession more often than not.  

I hate picking out a player for criticism after a good performance today but someone in our coaching staff needs to take Waggy aside and get him to trust using his right foot.  He misses out on so many chances by not doing this.

Strongly disagree re Joe Garner. Give us physicality, intensity, aggression and workrate. Occupies defenders and creates so much space for the other 2 attackers and midfield players. Technically he's not brilliant but he has attributes that are valuable. Very important player for us going forward in my opinion.