Walsh/Sinnamon/Roberts all leave.

pcbear

Youth development is there for the benefit of the game as a whole. There is only a slim chance that you are going to get a gem here and there, but you have to do it to support football at grass roots level up. It is also how contacts, goodwill and business trading is built with other clubs too. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I know anything about two of them but I did think young Walsh looked a prospect.    I see some people are saying he didn't do much when out on loan but I would counter that when I say I thought he looked better than some of our own players when he appeared for us.  What does that say about our squad?

I'm not surprised Tom Walsh is off.  Lad looked poor when he did get a chance.  I remember watching him play wide right and he was always looking down when crossing it in.  The ball wasn't even close to a striker each time he put it in.  Nowhere near good enough I'm afraid.  Best of luck to him at his next club.

5 hours ago, coopsleftboot said:

Aye these 15 year olds brought in last year should be 21 and read by now. 

Not sure what you mean, but im talking about players like Mekhi McLeod, who was here for 6 months, got no where near the first team and was released ?

8 hours ago, WGOH said:

Not sure what you mean, but im talking about players like Mekhi McLeod, who was here for 6 months, got no where near the first team and was released ?

Maybe he was shite?

I'm not sure if you're serious with that, but what you wrote emphasises the point...you don't bring a young player into the development squad and expect to develop them into first-teamers in 6 months.  If you expect that then they're already old/good enough to be in the first team, pending refinements.

Development is a long term project, and if you want to do it properly the younger the better.  Any player over the age of, say 17 and older that's been at Auchenhowie for 3-4 years or more can't really be marked down as one of Warburtons youth projects.  Even those that are older have been brought in have been identified as having potential and worth the effort of working on. Some will be worth it, some wont, and it may become obvious quite quickly.  Perhaps that was the issue with young Mekhi, or perhaps he just couldn't settle or couldn't hack it.  

Point is, if you're expecting players to come out of the currently re-energised youth academy within the next couple of years then you don't understand youth development and your heading for a disappointment.  There may be the odd gem coming through in that time, but they'll be a result of previous youth development and only refined by the current programme.

2 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Maybe he was shite?

I'm not sure if you're serious with that, but what you wrote emphasises the point...you don't bring a young player into the development squad and expect to develop them into first-teamers in 6 months.  If you expect that then they're already old/good enough to be in the first team, pending refinements.

Development is a long term project, and if you want to do it properly the younger the better.  Any player over the age of, say 17 and older that's been at Auchenhowie for 3-4 years or more can't really be marked down as one of Warburtons youth projects.  Even those that are older have been brought in have been identified as having potential and worth the effort of working on. Some will be worth it, some wont, and it may become obvious quite quickly.  Perhaps that was the issue with young Mekhi, or perhaps he just couldn't settle or couldn't hack it.  

Point is, if you're expecting players to come out of the currently re-energised youth academy within the next couple of years then you don't understand youth development and your heading for a disappointment.  There may be the odd gem coming through in that time, but they'll be a result of previous youth development and only refined by the current programme.

Fair enough, but I'm saying there hasn't been any improvement in the youth team set up and there is not much difference between Warburton'a era and any other previous manager, yet this was his gospel when he got the job. 

Hes the one who's brought in players like McLeod, Lang etc and they haven't been good enough, which is the point I'm making

Shame for Walsh. He showed flashes but then at times did nothing.  

But at any team worldwide it's hard for young guys from the academy to make the step up to first team.  My opinion is that if a player shows he can't adapt to different positions in the forward areas then they'll be released. 

58 minutes ago, WGOH said:

Fair enough, but I'm saying there hasn't been any improvement in the youth team set up and there is not much difference between Warburton'a era and any other previous manager, yet this was his gospel when he got the job. 

Hes the one who's brought in players like McLeod, Lang etc and they haven't been good enough, which is the point I'm making

I'm not sure you can really judge the difference in the youth set up under warburton after a season  and a bit, especially when the youth set up has undergone big changes, it's going to take time. 

5 hours ago, One Jock Wallace said:

Not seen anything on here so apologies if it's in another thread but saw on Facebook that we're loaning out MOH which is another strange one if true 

The only strange thing is we're not just selling him. He clearly doesn't want to be here, we don't really want him, sell him back to St J for a cut-price and clear the browsing history on that one

These players were of the "old regime" if you will. Our current youth academy have brought in a lot of youngsters since taking over, Atakayi is one that excites me, it would be good if Elfideldo could give us a scout report on him. Didn't we sign a young English striker who had scored a ridiculous amount of goals down south? I think he was 16 when we signed him?

We've also got Billy Gilmour coming through, the McCrorie brothers, Liam Kelly to name a few of the talented youngsters we have in our ranks. And then there's obviously ones who will be solid players but just aren't making the limelight just yet

It's not all doom and gloom, it's a significant improvement on what we had under McCoist anyway

EDIT: Thompson and Hardie as well who I think will both see first team football next season

When we first went down to Div 3 was the time to let them youngsters come up through the ranks and let them develop, I think that was a missed opportunity to see how good these players could have been as by the time we progressed into the premier league they would have all had over 100 appearances which is good going for 21/22 year olds.

What I do find interesting is that when Warburton has come in he has more or less cleared the youth set up from what was there, which raises the point of were the players not good enough in the first place or was it because we brought in players like Black, Daly etc that their progress restricted 

I am sure that I seen for the U20 team who played the other night the average age was 17. So it looks like we will be waiting for another few years before we start seeing the benefit of going back to square 1 and starting again. What we dont need tho is Warburton leaving in 2/3 years and then the next manager thinks that they need to start again. 

2 minutes ago, james_85 said:

When we first went down to Div 3 was the time to let them youngsters come up through the ranks and let them develop, I think that was a missed opportunity to see how good these players could have been as by the time we progressed into the premier league they would have all had over 100 appearances which is good going for 21/22 year olds.

What I do find interesting is that when Warburton has come in he has more or less cleared the youth set up from what was there, which raises the point of were the players not good enough in the first place or was it because we brought in players like Black, Daly etc that their progress restricted 

I am sure that I seen for the U20 team who played the other night the average age was 17. So it looks like we will be waiting for another few years before we start seeing the benefit of going back to square 1 and starting again. What we dont need tho is Warburton leaving in 2/3 years and then the next manager thinks that they need to start again. 

You assume that the players of the time would have got us through the leagues.  I'm not so sure.  Of the crop that were around then who's done anything?  Barrie McKay and Lewis McLeod that's about it.  Most have drifted off to lower league clubs or worse.  Robbie Crawford is now at East Kilbride and he was one of the big hopes.

Personally, I was of the opinion we had to make sure we got back up in the shortest possible time and signing players to do that was the way to go.

Anyway that's all water under the bridge, and from what I see and hear, at last, we're developing a youth system that might just work.

1 hour ago, WGOH said:

You still seem to be of the impression that development of young players into first teamers takes a few months...

We also brought in (for immediate first team development) Dodoo, Crooks, Windass, Rossiter and Thompson.  With the exception of Thompson (who's just signed a contract extension) the others have all been in and around the first team.  Burt also, but he was already here.  And there's others bubbling under too.  Sure there's going to be failures, that's the nature of the game and not new.

If Auchenhowie as it's now called had of been used correctly and for the purpose it was built then when MW came in as manager there should have been at least a handful of players ready to make the step up to the first team squad. Not saying they would have been greats but good enough.Unfortunately from the day it was opened it has been used as nothing more than a glorified training ground.The lack of talent is solely down to neglect by previous managers and that includes Walter and Ally along with McCleish.