Mark Allen: Full transcript.

Virtuoso

Allen faced the media for the first time today since his appointment in June and explained the process that led to Graeme Murty being appointed until the end of the season.

Now, after putting Murty in charge of first team affairs until May and, crucially, Rangers' January transfer dealings, Allen has spoken to explain the 57-day hunt for a new boss, the Derek McInnes saga, the future under Murty and his own role at the club.

Speaking about the manager hunt which saw McInnes snub the chance to replace Caixinha, Allen said: "There was a process we went through in terms of identifying potential candidates.

There were strategies provided to the board in terms of different directions we could go in. The board was free to make that decision in terms of the direction they wanted to move.
We made that move and we are now here as a result of that move not working out as originally planned. We are back to the next phase of that and we are all very pleased with the decision the board has made to put Graeme in charge of the team.

In a perfect world you would expect things to be a little more seamless if you like and a bit quicker. That's not always possible and there are a number of things going on which make those decisions less easy to take quickly."

Asked how important is was, particularly ahead of the January transfer window, to be working with a permanent manager rather than an interim one, Allen went on: "It's absolutely critical.

I have said from the outset the role of director of football is many and several. It's not one particular area - it's a number of things which first team is one and recruitment is one.

So to have a first team manager in place and permanent is exactly where we need to be. Ultimately the manager has to decide on those players we are targeting. The scouting team will identify players but ultimately the manager has to be the person that makes the decision.

I think like everything you are always looking to improve. I think the squad is more than capable of attaining the highest position they possibly can.

My job is to bring betterment to the squad moving forward. My real remit is about looking at what we build rather than inherit. But at the same time lets look to take the club to the next level."

Murty, meanwhile, admits he must make himself "irreplaceable" if he wants to keep the Rangers job beyond the summer.

The former Reading and Scotland defender has made no bones of the fact he wants the job on a permanent basis.

But he knows that will only happen if he can eradicate the mistakes that have already seen his side slip up against Hamilton, Dundee and St Johnstone since taking up interim command two months ago.

He said: "It's my job and the players' job to make ourselves irreplaceable.

I've always said you must aspire to be the best you possibly can be. If I do the best job I can hopefully I make it relatively simple for the board moving forward.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work as manager at Rangers. You don't just want do it for a short period of time. If I'm good at it and stand out hopefully I can get to do it for longer.

That's my aim - to improve and move my career forward."

Words fail me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Imagine the employee of Rangers FC admitting they had one candidate only who was 150 miles up the road. 

Imagine any professional football club saying they had one managerial candidate. 

That is fucking disgusting

The contempt these chancers are holding the supporters in knows no bounds mate.  

Clubs riddled with clueless cunts like him. 

Its some going we have managed to circle up the most incompetent self serving arseholes around and got them all in the boardroom. 

Only that could happen at our club. These clowns wouldn't be fit to run a market stall down the barras never mind Rangers football club.

we are going to have to take matters into our own hands soon otherwise this club is well and truly fucked!

"The role of the DOF is many and several", make up your fuckin' mind, many and several is the same fuckin' thing is it not, just one more of the many gobbledygook phrases that makes him think he is smarter than everyone else, well here's news for you, you fuckin' clown we can all see through you and your bullshit.

17 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Imagine the employee of Rangers FC admitting they had one candidate only who was 150 miles up the road. 

Imagine any professional football club saying they had one managerial candidate. 

That is fucking disgusting

From what I gathered there were  few different ways. I'd imagine the mcinnes one was a guy in Scotland that could come In and take the club forward. Mcinnes is the o my option in that regard. I would bet there were European candidates identified but the board didn't want to take that risk. And people like Tony pulis are out of our price range. But you see what you want to see I suppose

3 minutes ago, ClydebankBearWATP said:

From what I gathered there were  few different ways. I'd imagine the mcinnes one was a guy in Scotland that could come In and take the club forward. Mcinnes is the o my option in that regard. I would bet there were European candidates identified but the board didn't want to take that risk. And people like Tony pulis are out of our price range. But you see what you want to see I suppose

So the board put all our eggs in one basket which collapsed with all the yolks on the floor. This shows they have no knowledge of football, no ideas, and are no longer fit for purpose. There are managers out there who would improve us but not many who would want to work with this board, and Derek McInnes has nothing about him that suggests he would be the right man for Rangers. Quite the opposite in fact and if that is the extent of the board's scope and ambition they should collectively get to fuck.

43 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Mark Allan is a clown .. another trying to talk in riddles and dress up an underwhelming, lazy appointment in management-type speil 

Thats how it reads to me. I mean wtf does this actually mean:

I think the squad is more than capable of attaining the highest position they possibly can.

18 minutes ago, ClydebankBearWATP said:

I see another trough guzzler totally out of his depth, sitting back not having a clue how the run a football club never mind a club like Rangers. 

The DOF openly admitting it took us 6 weeks to identify ONE managerial option is nothing short of a disgrace. Especially when you consider he was 150 miles away and has been touted for the job for near on a year.