Will Murty keep the job if we finish 2nd?

BlueBearz1990

I think the board will keep him as long as he doesn’t finish lower than third.

For me unless he wins the title the only way I would accept him staying is a cup win and no more than 5 points behind the taigs. Anything less and get an experienced manager in, but sadly I know barring a disaster the board will take the cheap option and give Murty a new deal.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Smile said:

Murty has seven defeats in 19 matches over two spells ( twenty-two matches overall). Pedro had 7 defeats in twenty-six.        

Struggling to see how he will get us second or stay on for a second spell.  

because 1 win gets the same points as three draws and a better goal difference. Pedro had lots if draws.

1 minute ago, writingranger said:

because 1 win gets the same points as three draws and a better goal difference. Pedro had lots if draws.

You have just discovered how football teams points are accumulated, welcome to football.

He should not be anywhere near the job even if he finishes 2nd and manages to beat celtic.

We need an experienced manager who knows how to get the absolute best out of players and a proven track record of doing so. I don't feel Murty is capable of this long term.

I respect the guy a lot and he is a credit to Rangers and probably deserves a pay rise or a wad of cash for his efforts but it should only be till the end of the season.

I don't believe he has a huge amount of input into the recent transfers either which would tie in with McInnes knocking it back.

Lets back up these rejected bids from China, credit facilities and Ibrox improvements by getting a manager worthy of the job and some funds for him to finally push us back to serious contention for the title within the next few years.

7 minutes ago, Smile said:

Has anyone watched the last two games and both first-half performances in Midfield and honestly thought, Hey this Murty guy knows what he's doing.

In fairness, no Jack, Dorrans or McCrorie and depending on Jason Holt & Windass would be trying for any manager, but as I said before he is too inexperienced and not a gamble we can afford. 

I think 2nd place would get him a contract.  3rd would cast big doubts and then it may be down to who is available to replace him.

Would we still want him, if he cannot get the better of sheep in a league where we beat them 3 in a row?  I would see that as a failure and no improvement. If Rangers and sheep made a big improvement and got up near the scum, providing a real finish to the league, that could  be different.  Finishing 3rd in that scenario and pushing at the top would be improvement for us.  All speculation of course.

I really rate him and think he'll be a really good manager one day, if we gave him time I think he'd get it right here but this isn't a club for learning on the job and if he's going to keep it he needs a really strong finish.

No matter how it goes though he'll always have my respect for the way he's conducted himself, he could have easily done a McDowell but he's faced it head on and gave it a hell of a go, both times when he took over we have been in absolute meltdown and I think a lot of people forget that, he's given us our best results in over 5 years and gave us a bit of pride back.

I dont think 2nd will be enough. He would need to put a run of at least 8 wins on the trot. To show he is capable of at least that. Sadly i don't think he is. Thing is i believe we have a team that could but formation/selection will prevent it.

8 minutes ago, Gustav said:

I really rate him and think he'll be a really good manager one day, if we gave him time I think he'd get it right here but this isn't a club for learning on the job and if he's going to keep it he needs a really strong finish.

No matter how it goes though he'll always have my respect for the way he's conducted himself, he could have easily done a McDowell but he's faced it head on and gave it a hell of a go, both times when he took over we have been in absolute meltdown and I think a lot of people forget that, he's given us our best results in over 5 years and gave us a bit of pride back.

He's done better than OK for a guy who's learning on the job so to speak, and in his attitude and manner he is a credit to the club but don't think he's the man for next year.

I'd like to think that a proven manager has already been lined up for the summer, if not then it's back to looking at who is available come June.

4 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

In fairness, no Jack, Dorrans or McCrorie and depending on Jason Holt & Windass would be trying for any manager, but as I said before he is too inexperienced and not a gamble we can afford. 

We have the best squad of players in the league other than celtic.  Even with the players you mentioned injured we should still be winning games.  It's hardly "trying" circumstances, is it?

Also, I'm pretty sure some of the players you mentioned were still fit when we were beat by the likes of Hamilton, Dundee, St.Johnstone, Kilmarnock, etc.  Even with these guys in the squad against teams like Dundee we still lose.  We not only lost against Dundee this season but last season as well when Murty came up against Paul Hartley's team.  Poor Murty having to come up against the mighty Dundee with his vastly superior squad I pity him.

29 minutes ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

he has had a chance to strengthen the squad so its up to him to produce the goods, i must admire his use of young players.

It was Pedro who broke Bates and McCrorie in to the Rangers first-team.  Other young guys who have been brought in like Declan Joh and Sean Goss are due to Mark Allen.

I think he is a cert to get the job long term (3yrs). Not that I think he should, performances suggest otherwise, but why appoint Jimmy Nicholl for the 2nd half of the season to help him if it's not thought of as long term? And give them money to bring in a number of players if the board think they can/will rip it up AGAIN at the end of the season.

We all wish him well but not for me at this time. I don't know who but think who can we afford dictates so it all points to Murty/Nicholl to me ?

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Has anyone watched the last two games and both first-half performances in Midfield and honestly thought, Hey this Murty guy knows what he's doing.

It's not just confined to these 2 games though.   IMO its a roll of the dice each game as to what we get from Murty and his ability to get the best out of the squad on a consistent basis and for the whole duration of games.    He's an L-driver manager so knowing what to do to set up for a game, and how and when to test and adjust during a game are things that are still, imo, on his steep learning curve.    

As to whether he gets the job for a longer spell at the end of the season, or whether he loses it before then or walks away before then is mostly up to results.     If he gets enough positive results and somehow gets the team to achieve qualification for Europe next season then I presume he'd be a certainty to get the job for a longer spell.    If he fails to lead the team to finish better than 4th in the league then maybe there could be a small doubt about whether the board would stick with him.  

Put differently, I think we are stuck with Murty unless there is an absolute catastrophic end to the season and by that I mean only just achieving (or even failing) to achieve a top 6 slot.  Now that shouldn't be even a remote problem at this point in near mid Feb.  But with a manager who is plainly a learner manager with no experience or track record of successfully dealing with a series of setbacks in results if the team were to go on a bad run of form with games running out in which to fix it then management life could get very difficult for him.  By then not only would a DOF, Robertson and King be on his case so would the fans and so would the media.    Could he overcome that sort of pressure as a rookie?   I don't know but I do doubt it........but even more importantly I hope he is not put to that sort of test.

If he avoids a catastrophic end to the season I think he probably has the job on a permanent basis.     Besides which, there may be few other credible managers around who would want the Rangers job after all the time-wasting dicking about the Club did in trying to find a replacement for Pedro.........which of them would want to go through all that again.    And in any event the finances are such that we probably could not afford to get a properly experienced and capable manager.    So Murty it is unless he oversees a footballing catastrophe.    Nice position for him to be in,   Can't really lose out of it unless he somehow manages to screw up the rest of the season.  

1 hour ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

We have the best squad of players in the league other than celtic.  Even with the players you mentioned injured we should still be winning games.  It's hardly "trying" circumstances, is it?

Also, I'm pretty sure some of the players you mentioned were still fit when we were beat of the likes of Hamilton, Dundee, St.Johnstone, Kilmarnock, etc.  Even with these guys in the squad against teams like Dundee we still lose.  We not only lost against Dundee this season but last season as well when Murty came up against Paul Hartley's team.  Poor Murty having to come up against the mighty Dundee with his vastly superior squad I pity him.

We were discussing the last two games, one we won and the other we lost mainly because we had no midfield against Hibs coupled with poor tactics.  Size of squad is irrelevant if you lack quality in depth.