Will Murty keep the job if we finish 2nd?

BlueBearz1990

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happens to Murty I think he's had the toughest job of any Rangers manager in my lifetime given the mess left by Pedro and the two previous managers,given the financial restrictions placed on him compared to the majority of Rangers mangers and finally given that he's basically on trial on a week to week basis in his attempt to secure the manager's job on a regular basis.

I've got more respect and time for Murty compared to the last three managers put together but realistically if he doesn't finish second or win the Scottish cup his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis are pretty thin,good luck to him though I would love to see him succeed.

He has to finish second imo regardless of whether he wins the cup or not. Even then, I think he has to show that he’s able to challenge them next season so I think he needs to beat them in the league this season too. King won’t keep him on if he’s not going to cut it for us. The fact so many of our signings are loans are an indication that he can easily be changed and players sent back if someone else has to come in. 

I hope he succeeds, but if he doesn’t I feel King won’t get it wrong next time. Our journey back to the top, as well as the financial rewards of the CL are at stake. 

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

We were discussing the last two games, one we won and the other we lost mainly because we had no midfield against Hibs coupled with poor tactics.  Size of squad is irrelevant if you lack quality in depth.

We did have a midfield against Hibs:  Murphy, Windass, Candeias, Holt, and Goss.  That's a better group of midfielders than Hibs have.  Our midfield should be good enough to match theirs.

When Hibs first came to Ibrox at that start of the season we had Dorrans and Jack playing in central midfield.  We were completely overrun and Hibs looked like the home side for large parts of that game.

It seems having better players is irrelevant all together if you don't have a manager who can get the most out of them.  

Murphy/Candeias  = wingers

Windass = coward

Holt = headless chicken

So basically Goss?

Should be strong enough but are not. 

BTW you are arguing with yourself about the manager, I'm not disagreeing, only stating in my original post that no manager could turn the players you listed into a strong midfield. 

18 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

We did have a midfield against Hibs:  Murphy, Windass, Candeias, Holt, and Goss.  That's a better group of midfielders than Hibs have.  Our midfield should be good enough to match theirs.

When Hibs first came to Ibrox at that start of the season we had Dorrans and Jack playing in central midfield.  We were completely overrun and Hibs looked like the home side for large parts of that game.

It seems having better players is irrelevant all together if you don't have a manager who can get the most out of them.  

Two very wide midfielders in Candeais and Murphy. Ie wingers. So in effect we had 2 central midfielders against hivs 3 or at times 4. All of whom rotated positions etc including mcginn who was also at left back.

A proper manager would have learned from the first game. 

11 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

BTW you are arguing with yourself about the manager, I'm not disagreeing, only stating in my original post that no manager could turn the players you listed into a strong midfield. 

When compared to the level of opposition our players should constitute a "strong" midfield.  I'm certain there's a manager out there who could do more with our squad of players. 

1 hour ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

When compared to the level of opposition our players should constitute a "strong" midfield.  I'm certain there's a manager out there who could do more with our squad of players. 

With the squad, if players, with the midfield from the last two games i doubt that as the words "cannot polish a turd", spring to mind. 

Just coming 2nd is too simplistic. We could be dreadful and finish 2nd due to the sheep being shite rather than us being good.

I don’t think he should be near the job regardless. If he keeps the job we’ll get to about October then end up back to square 1 again.

Our players aren’t great but they are better than they’ve been showing and we need a manager that can get it out of them.

17 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Just coming 2nd is too simplistic. We could be dreadful and finish 2nd due to the sheep being shite rather than us being good.

I don’t think he should be near the job regardless. If he keeps the job we’ll get to about October then end up back to square 1 again.

Our players aren’t great but they are better than they’ve been showing and we need a manager that can get it out of them.

If he gets the permanent deal, it won't matter where we sit come October and TBH, the majority of the other also tans are so dross, we will never be in that bad a position and he will also keep his job, because we cannot ignore our financial constraints and keep bringing in new managers. It won't happen.

8 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

If he gets the permanent deal, it won't matter where we sit come October and TBH, the majority of the other also tans are so dross, we will never be in that bad a position and he will also keep his job, because we cannot ignore our financial constraints and keep bringing in new managers. It won't happen.

How much overhaul and cost was there at Kilmarnock for what has been a huge turnaround there?  A system that suits the players, who appear well drilled, and now some exceptional results too.

Now Clarke may or may not be the right man for Rangers. But we sure as Hell shouldn't settle for Murty based on financial constraints if he's not getting the best out of this group of players.

We have the nucleus of a good squad here. Several expensive out of contract non contributors will go come summer. Hopefully a few more non contributors can be encouraged out too. And it's not like there's yet another pay off for outgoing manager.  This summer offers a huge opportunity for the right man, not a poor imitation stand in who won't challenge as the bheasts rack up another title.

1 minute ago, Orange and Blue said:

Probably will still be our manager if we finish 2nd:duh:. I would love to see Walter back next season and Murty as his assistant to get us 55. Let Murty learn from the master.:thumbup:

Got loads of time for Walter the manager. But Walter as a tutor and trainer of an understudy isn't exactly a successful formula based on previous with mccoist.

3 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Got loads of time for Walter the manager. But Walter as a tutor and trainer of an understudy isn't exactly a successful formula based on previous with mccoist.

I think that was maybe more to do with the ability level of mccoist rather than Walter. I can't imagine Murty letting the players boot balls off his are for a laugh. I get the vibe of a learner and certainly an intelligent man from Murty.

9 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I think that was maybe more to do with the ability level of mccoist rather than Walter. I can't imagine Murty letting the players boot balls off his are for a laugh. I get the vibe of a learner and certainly an intelligent man from Murty.

I think Murty will have a lot of success in management, don’t know if it will be at Ibrox but I believe he’ll do well.

13 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

The ability level of a protege he thought good enough to get the gig. Biggest misjudgement of his career.

But yeah I'd accept Murty has more skill set for the job than mccoist.

I think Murty is getting the job regardless of where we finish tbh 

for me we need a respectable second finish within a decent amount of points of the peadophiles 

Scottish Cup would be nice but I’ve only ever really looked on it as a bonus in addition to winning the league - if we don’t win the league I generally find it hard to get excited about it rightly or wrongly (probably wrongly) 

The messaging from the Club about Murty getting the job until summer with decisions to be taken then on whether he gets the job longer term is just an exercise in convenient message massaging.    The Club can't lose by doing this.    They create the appearance of hedging their bets and appearing to be of sound corporate mind in having Murty under what they'd like people  e to consider to be a trial period.    But its just massaging, just easing gently along the way to making the job his on a longer term basis when the season ends.

Regardless of results and league position and cup run and whether or not we qualify for Europe next season?   I'd say 'yes' and with only one proviso.......that if he oversees a footballing catastrophe this season then they board may change its mind.      I think the job is already his even if we don't qualify for Europe.  Catastrophe would need to be a league placing that sees us sinking to 6th spot or failing to make the top 6.  Unlikely?  Impossible?   Certainly looks that way but if he did find himself managing the team during a spell of very bad results and could not find it within his L-plate manager skillset to fix the problem then he'd obviously be putting himself on thin ice.     Other teams have suffered dramatic losses of form at the business end of a season and found it hard to recover so its not entirely impossible.

But on the optimistic side for the team, they will probably be ok for the rest of the season so his job is safe.    Besides which there would not be enough money to afford a proper, experienced, capable manager.  And after the nonsense of a recruitment sham after sacking Pedro I suppose not many credible managers would be all that interested in applying for the job or interviewing for it as the DOF and board have created an image of just being time wasters when it comes to hunting for a manager.  The better managers may have plenty of alternatives to choose from.    Nope, we're stuck with Murty for a while to come unless he oversees a footballing catastrophe.    Appointing him in summer is merely a formality to be completed.    Puts title 55 further away though imo.