Terry Butcher

King Jela

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

He was almost praising us last night.

Ironic as fuck if he was absolutely correct about Pedro, and getting rid of him at that moment was to propel us to League Champions. Still a longshot though, as when Sutton asked Butcher if it was still a one-horse race and he said yes, that it was a battle for the places. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he sits and thinks what the fuck are you coming out with when he's listening to Terry put us down at times. 

Sutton described us as a strong unit last night which is more positive than anything butcher has ever said about us 

2 hours ago, ianferguson said:

If the greatest XI was about about service and attitude you'd have a point m8 and for example Gazza ,the best player to wear our shirt imo, wouldn't be anywhere near it, but our XI is based on ability and imo Butcher is way better than Gough. I was 23 when Butcher signed for Rangers and I'd watched some imposters wear our shirt for a good few years  but when Butcher first arrived he was a collosus who could lead and play great football. His passing ability and touch were amazing and his broken leg cost us ten in a row imo. On the park he was the catalyst for all the top English players who followed him up the road. Gough was a great athlete and leader but not as good a footballer imo.

Not the first time I've heard about his leg break costing us either 9 earlier or indeed more, another injury curse to put alongside Baxter, Mols etc and of what could have been. 

If I recall correctly, The Greatest XI was a fan vote? Nobody said it had to be strictly ability, and I firmly believe it shouldn't just be. With Gascoigne, he was the last British footballer that could fall into 'Genius' category and truly was a standout. Can the same be said about a CB? Was Butcher the defending equivalent of Gascoigne? I personally don't think so, and for that all other factors need taken into consideration, not to mention the sheer amount of possible candidates for the place. It was a sign of the times, and if it was redone I don't think he would get in it, regardless of his media shite.

BT Sport’s coverage is fucking embarrassing, all this slide tackling shit?!

How do we expect Scottish football to be taken seriously with clowns like Butcher and Sutton saying shit like Herrera is better than Morelos? 

I’m not old enough to have seen Butcher play so I’ve only ever known him as the court jester pillock he is now. 

5 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

How do we expect Scottish football to be taken seriously with clowns like Butcher and Sutton saying shit like Herrera is better than Morelos? 

I’m not old enough to have seen Butcher play so I’ve only ever known him as the court jester pillock he is now. 

Agree, it's painful to listen to. Butcher sounds like an arsehole with no knowledge of football or anything else to say. I switch it off when I can

I watched him play for us, the wreck he turned into surprised me

4 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

This:tu:

Wee Daryl is ok tbf but Sutton and Butcher are nuseating, BT started pretty promising aswell with Gary McAllister etc.

They didn't say that did they? Utter mongos.

Craigan can be ok in spells aswell.

Sutton on goals show at the weekend struggling to hide his hatred for Rangers/Hearts and still bitter about Hugh Dallas when had a dig at him after his son for getting a decision wrong, said Hibs were glooking good to pip us for third:lol:

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he sits and thinks what the fuck are you coming out with when he's listening to Terry put us down at times. 

Sutton described us as a strong unit last night which is more positive than anything butcher has ever said about us 

We've got him worried.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

This:tu:

Wee Daryl is ok tbf but Sutton and Butcher are nuseating, BT started pretty promising aswell with Gary McAllister etc.

They didn't say that did they? Utter mongos.

Craigan can be ok in spells aswell.

Sutton on goals show at the weekend struggling to hide his hatred for Rangers/Hearts and still bitter about Hugh Dallas when had a dig at him after his son for getting a decision wrong, said Hibs were glooking good to pip us for third:lol:

Laughable! 

4 hours ago, Spliffy said:

Not the first time I've heard about his leg break costing us either 9 earlier or indeed more, another injury curse to put alongside Baxter, Mols etc and of what could have been. 

If I recall correctly, The Greatest XI was a fan vote? Nobody said it had to be strictly ability, and I firmly believe it shouldn't just be. With Gascoigne, he was the last British footballer that could fall into 'Genius' category and truly was a standout. Can the same be said about a CB? Was Butcher the defending equivalent of Gascoigne? I personally don't think so, and for that all other factors need taken into consideration, not to mention the sheer amount of possible candidates for the place. It was a sign of the times, and if it was redone I don't think he would get in it, regardless of his media shite.

All about opinions m8 , the fairest way to get an all time XI is to do a minimum appearances and medal count ,on that basis DJ would find his rightful place in the XI , Souness and Gazza wouldn't get a mention.

Reading these comments, if someone watched him commentate on our game the way he does knowing nothing about football, only that us and them hate each other they’d probably think he was an ex-tarrier captain. 

The more he’s on air the less popular he will become within our support and he’ll end up tarnishing his reputation forever 

41 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

All about opinions m8 , the fairest way to get an all time XI is to do a minimum appearances and medal count ,on that basis DJ would find his rightful place in the XI , Souness and Gazza wouldn't get a mention.

Absolutely, it's impossible to measure and with so many players that could have been selected it probably comes down to generations perspective. Agree that Johnstone should be in it, for Butcher and if not then perhaps even Hateley.

1 hour ago, Spliffy said:

Absolutely, it's impossible to measure and with so many players that could have been selected it probably comes down to generations perspective. Agree that Johnstone should be in it, for Butcher and if not then perhaps even Hateley.

Gough ?

14 hours ago, Spliffy said:

Gough.

I think there is a strong argument for there being too many from the "modern era" as you call it (30 years ago now) in the Greatest XI. Jock Tiger Shaw, Willie Woodburn, Eric Caldow, David Meiklejohn, Bobby Shearer, Derek Johnstone, George Young. Just a few greats that gave far more to this club than Butcher ever did. Modern era? Amoruso also won more and gave more than Butcher. It's a slap in the face to all these legends that Butcher is in that XI, and it does a disservice to our own great history.

I'm not sure whether the vast majority of RM members would agree on these players you mentioned being from the "modern era" Spliffy, but as far as I'm concerned, they are. I saw every one of these players play for Rangers, except one; The late great Davie Meiklejohn who sadly passed away aged 58 years sitting in the directors' box at  Broomfield Park, Airdrie in 1958.

Tiger Shaw was a hero of mine, perhaps because of being friends of my family but as far as I'm concerned,  Butcher could not hold a candle to these guys mentioned, especially Willie Woodburn who was as tough as nails yet had the skills of a midfield maestro and was arguably the best centre-half ever to play for Rangers.

Yes! Terry Butcher was a fantastic player for Rangers but he only came to Rangers because English teams were banned from European competition, otherwise, he wouldn't have stepped foot across the border. These other players mentioned played for us because they were true blue Rangers men who were brought up with the same values held dearly by our club and who remained Rangers men at heart after they retired. :pipe::rangers:

1 hour ago, Ozblue said:

I'm not sure whether the vast majority of RM members would agree on these players you mentioned being from the "modern era" Spliffy, but as far as I'm concerned, they are. I saw every one of these players play for Rangers, except one; The late great Davie Meiklejohn who sadly passed away aged 58 years sitting in the directors' box at  Broomfield Park, Airdrie in 1958.

Tiger Shaw was a hero of mine, perhaps because of being friends of my family but as far as I'm concerned,  Butcher could not hold a candle to these guys mentioned, especially Willie Woodburn who was as tough as nails yet had the skills of a midfield maestro and was arguably the best centre-half ever to play for Rangers.

Yes! Terry Butcher was a fantastic player for Rangers but he only came to Rangers because English teams were banned from European competition, otherwise, he wouldn't have stepped foot across the border. These other players mentioned played for us because they were true blue Rangers men who were brought up with the same values held dearly by our club and who remained Rangers men at heart after they retired. :pipe::rangers:

image.png.a82e43901378c16d2c500007c1eed65c.png

hit the nail on the head Oz.   Knew Bob McPhail quite well, had the pleasure of meeting Tiger Shaw a couple of times and these guys bled blue and were real Rangers men.  Even more contemporary players such as Dave Smith, the late Davie Provan, just two examples who follow (followed) the team at their own expense because they were just talented versions of the ordinary fan.   

Butcher while a great player is a bit like MCCoist, an on-field legend but a cunt of a human being, no more than mercenaries who put themselves above everything and anyone else.  

6 hours ago, Ozblue said:

By modern era, I was questioning whether or not Butcher could be classed in due to his time being 30 years which for me is a stretch for modern. 

I wouldn't class those other players mentioned as modern era but that could be because they are way before my time.

I agree with every point you made, and if there ever was to be a change Jock Shaw and Willie Woodburn (along with Derek Johnstone) would be the outstanding candidates.