Maribor - Full Circle

Blue_Devil

1 hour ago, Vision said:

One game at a time and all that but if the seeded teams all come through the next round, below is the teams we could meet.

Rapid Wien
RB Leipzig
Partizan Belgrade
Burnley
NK Rijeka
Atalanta
Bordeaux
FC Ufa
Apollon Limassol
Sturm Graz
Spartak Subotica
Kairat Almaty

Fuckin eazy!!!

18 hours ago, TMB said:

If we beat Maribor does that official bring an end to "the banter years"?  

That is tragic patter. Embarrassing yourself by stealing it from an outdated thread that wasn't that funny anyhow. Any knock-knock jokes on you mate?

Anyhooo I am confident we will beat this mob. At least a 2 goal lead at Ibrox. Revenge is sweet.

Just looking at the line-up from the last time we played them.

Based purely on footballing ability, not cuntishness, I'd say we're in a better position today than we were then.

Rangers:

McGregor, Goian, Broadfoot, Wallace (Perry 39), Ortiz (Healy 67), Bocanegra, Wylde, Edu, Davis, Jelavic, Lafferty

Substitutes:

Alexander, Perry, Bendiksen, Fleck, Healy, Kerkar, Hutton

20 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

The Maribor tie that ended 3-2 has always been something of a reference point in my mind, marking the start of our fall from grace. Craig Whyte was a charlatan and I am very glad he is long gone, but he had taken a gamble on European glory. Had we reached the Champions League group stages or, in the case of the Maribor tie, the Europa League group stages; then the financial outcome of season 2011/12 could have been very different. The chapter of our history that has played out since the 2011/12 season would also have been very different.

The mood around our team, around our club, is changing and to face Maribor at this time provides a historical symmetry. I believe these ties provide an elegant bookend to the 'bad years' and will provide a platform for us to challenge again,  as the club we should be. Especially if we win. 

Absolutely fantastic post mate.

1 hour ago, TheMotor said:

Based purely on footballing ability, not cuntishness, I'd say we're in a better position today than we were then.

Rangers:

McGregor, Goian, Broadfoot, Wallace (Perry 39), Ortiz (Healy 67), Bocanegra, Wylde, Edu, Davis, Jelavic, Lafferty

Substitutes:

Sorry mate but our current team can't be classed as any where near the former. There are still too many unknowns. 

9 hours ago, Brubear said:

I am not sure about the first part of your post. I believe Whyte bought Rangers we the sole purpose of liquidating us and him and his pals making personal gain out of it by selling the assets to a new legal entity, that's where Green came in. Any business man worth his salt would not have taken on the potential EBT bill. Any normal business deal would have ring fenced the contingent liability. Whyte expected the EBT case to allow him to liquidate us but as the court case delayed and delayed he manufactured another route by not paying our PAYE and VAT bills. Whether we made money from Europe that year would not have changed his actions. This is of course just my opinion. 

I think you’ve got it spot on. I think European money would have delayed the inevitable and as stated in another post it’s more money for Whyte to have misappropriated.

The only thing which may have changed may have been us winning the league that year. Delaying the financial collapse may have delayed the collapse on the pitch - remembering we were well ahead by about 15 points at one time. I still believe the players stopped playing with all the crap in the background and this may have been delayed. 

But you can never second guess what was going on at that time.

15 hours ago, Vision said:

One game at a time and all that but if the seeded teams all come through the next round, below is the teams we could meet.

Rapid Wien
RB Leipzig
Partizan Belgrade
Burnley
NK Rijeka
Atalanta
Bordeaux
FC Ufa
Apollon Limassol
Sturm Graz
Spartak Subotica
Kairat Almaty

Christ, it's half and half there imo. Fuck getting the likes of Leipzig.

11 hours ago, TheMotor said:

Rangers:

Substitutes:

Look how pish that bench is, fuck sake

14 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

That is tragic patter. Embarrassing yourself by stealing it from an outdated thread that wasn't that funny anyhow. Any knock-knock jokes on you mate?

I'm not stealing the patter I put it the phrase "the banter years" in quotation marks to show I'm using someone elses words rather than my own.  I agree that it's not that funny and a better label could've been used but "the banter years" seem to have stuck and most know what you're talking about, especially on here, when mentioning that phrase.  

I don't think Maribor are as poor now as they were in 2011, but that's more out of me dissing that team at that particular moment in 2011.  Losing the way we did to Malmo and then Maribor was awful and we looked as though we never learned from the Kaunas travesty (equally worse).

I don't know if our team will be successful or not but the early indications in my mind tell me that we are hungrier and look more determined in 2011 and I hope we can put what happend that night in 2011 to bed and reach the playoffs.  It won't be easy, but we have made our history accomplishing things which weren't easy.

20 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I don't think Maribor are as poor now as they were in 2011, but that's more out of me dissing that team at that particular moment in 2011.  Losing the way we did to Malmo and then Maribor was awful and we looked as though we never learned from the Kaunas travesty (equally worse).

I don't know if our team will be successful or not but the early indications in my mind tell me that we are hungrier and look more determined in 2011 and I hope we can put what happend that night in 2011 to bed and reach the playoffs.  It won't be easy, but we have made our history accomplishing things which weren't easy.

Maribor shouldn't be underestimated, that's for sure.  I think they've knocked out most of the Scottish clubs they've come up against.  Both Old Firm teams and Hibs in recent years.

8 hours ago, kanjo said:

“Equally worse” :lol: 

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 23:52, Brubear said:

I am not sure about the first part of your post. I believe Whyte bought Rangers we the sole purpose of liquidating us and him and his pals making personal gain out of it by selling the assets to a new legal entity, that's where Green came in. Any business man worth his salt would not have taken on the potential EBT bill. Any normal business deal would have ring fenced the contingent liability. Whyte expected the EBT case to allow him to liquidate us but as the court case delayed and delayed he manufactured another route by not paying our PAYE and VAT bills. Whether we made money from Europe that year would not have changed his actions. This is of course just my opinion. 

I understand your points but I believe if we had beaten Maribor that time we would now have seen the trouble that followed it was a watershed moment

• 2 weeks later...