Maribor - Full Circle

Blue_Devil

10 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

The Maribor tie that ended 3-2 has always been something of a reference point in my mind, marking the start of our fall from grace. Craig Whyte was a charlatan and I am very glad he is long gone, but he had taken a gamble on European glory. Had we reached the Champions League group stages or, in the case of the Maribor tie, the Europa League group stages; then the financial outcome of season 2011/12 could have been very different. The chapter of our history that has played out since the 2011/12 season would also have been very different.

The mood around our team, around our club, is changing and to face Maribor at this time provides a historical symmetry. I believe these ties provide an elegant bookend to the 'bad years' and will provide a platform for us to challenge again,  as the club we should be. Especially if we win. 

That piece of scum would have stole more money of us if we had beat Maribor back then.

Just now, loyalfollower said:

Good record vs Scottish sides. Will be tough and we really need to start scoring with our feet in and around the box. Our last 5 goals have all been headers

I'd take a season of only headed goals if it brought us the big one.

One game at a time and all that but if the seeded teams all come through the next round, below is the teams we could meet.

Rapid Wien
RB Leipzig
Partizan Belgrade
Burnley
NK Rijeka
Atalanta
Bordeaux
FC Ufa
Apollon Limassol
Sturm Graz
Spartak Subotica
Kairat Almaty

39 minutes ago, Vision said:

One game at a time and all that but if the seeded teams all come through the next round, below is the teams we could meet.

Rapid Wien
RB Leipzig
Partizan Belgrade
Burnley
NK Rijeka
Atalanta
Bordeaux
FC Ufa
Apollon Limassol
Sturm Graz
Spartak Subotica
Kairat Almaty

Would fancy our chances with most of they teams outwith 3/4. Got a tough 2 games against Maribor first but promising signs so far 

11 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

The Maribor tie that ended 3-2 has always been something of a reference point in my mind, marking the start of our fall from grace. Craig Whyte was a charlatan and I am very glad he is long gone, but he had taken a gamble on European glory. Had we reached the Champions League group stages or, in the case of the Maribor tie, the Europa League group stages; then the financial outcome of season 2011/12 could have been very different. The chapter of our history that has played out since the 2011/12 season would also have been very different.

The mood around our team, around our club, is changing and to face Maribor at this time provides a historical symmetry. I believe these ties provide an elegant bookend to the 'bad years' and will provide a platform for us to challenge again,  as the club we should be. Especially if we win. 

I am not sure about the first part of your post. I believe Whyte bought Rangers we the sole purpose of liquidating us and him and his pals making personal gain out of it by selling the assets to a new legal entity, that's where Green came in. Any business man worth his salt would not have taken on the potential EBT bill. Any normal business deal would have ring fenced the contingent liability. Whyte expected the EBT case to allow him to liquidate us but as the court case delayed and delayed he manufactured another route by not paying our PAYE and VAT bills. Whether we made money from Europe that year would not have changed his actions. This is of course just my opinion.