Last 20 mins - Game Management

We’ve got to do better. 

Unfortunately that goal was always going to happen. Defended way too deep and the defence wasn’t given much time for a breather because we were making terrible decisions at the top of the pitch, giving the ball away, nobody holding it up and therefore the ball was just coming back all the time. 

I thought we had enough characters in the team for someone to take charge of that situation and use their nouse just to help the team kill the game off. Really disappointed but maybe we’ve got an eye on Thursday, first time we’ve looked shaky at the back all season. 

As soon as the game got towards the end it was clear that a one goal lead was going to be a problem. 

I don' think we were awful, but it was subtle things that cost us. We started to defend deeper and deeper which invited them onto us. There was no need at all to do that. Also, with the way Motherwell were approaching the game, as though it was their last I think we made too many changes to personnel towards the end. Gerrard said a week ago Wallace wasn't ready - unless he's made a spectacular recovery he shouldn't be coming on to defend a crucial corner in a game like today. 

We showed enough character in that game for me to feel in a different place to last season but I think we were a little naive in our gamine management towards the end. We need to learn from it. There is a massive week coming up. 

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

I blame the Gaffer 

he brought on Arfield and Middleton and neither hardly touched the ball. 

Why Middleton came on is beyond me.

and bringing on wallace was stupid cos that corner was always getting taken. 

I agree with you about both being ineffective I think the idea behind Middleton would have been for him to get on the ball and run with the ball to stretch them and allow the team to get up the pitch but the problem was we just didn’t get him on the ball.

Just now, Brackley Bluenose said:

Gerrard saying in the post match that we dropped points because we couldn’t defend a set piece. Obviously agree but they way we were setup seemed to invite inevitable pressure. 

No we dropped points because we camped out in our own half second half and never defended high enough up the pitch it’s on Stevie 

Just now, kaiser1041 said:

No we dropped points because we camped out in our own half second half and never defended high enough up the pitch it’s on Stevie 

Spot on - however like I said in my OP I question why none of the players took charge of the situation and asked the forward players to hold it up for 5/10 mins play for throw ins, go down and eat some time up etc those little things that get you over the line.

7 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I blame the Gaffer 

he brought on Arfield and Middleton and neither hardly touched the ball. 

Why Middleton came on is beyond me.

and bringing on wallace was stupid cos that corner was always getting taken. 

Gaffer is to blame for sure. 

In my opinion, as I said in the match thread, he was trying out the formation.

That’s all well and good. But when it was clear we were struggling defensively he should have reverted to a more comfortable 4-3-3. 

Why is Tav defending corners against center halves? 

The subs were wrong Middleton shouldn’t have come on. Kent is more capable and tactically aware . 

Wallace was nothing but  a time waster and should have waited til after the corner

poor management  but I believe he will learn. McAllister should be advising too

Just now, Brackley Bluenose said:

I agree with you about both being ineffective I think the idea behind Middleton would have been for him to get on the ball and run with the ball to stretch them and allow the team to get up the pitch but the problem was we just didn’t get him on the ball.

We needed to sit higher up and have our front players hold the play up for our midfield. The idea that Middleton could stretch them was never going to happen the way the game was going (punts forward to their front three)

Pains me to say it but Halliday should have stayed on

Defending too deep and not holding the ball up well enough at the top end of the pitch has cost us the points.  

We clearly weren’t at our best today, particularly defensively but no panic here.  This team has plenty of character but they do need to learn from this. 

1 minute ago, Bakbear said:

Gaffer is to blame for sure. 

In my opinion, as I said in the match thread, he was trying out the formation.

That’s all well and good. But when it was clear we were struggling defensively he should have reverted to a more comfortable 4-3-3. 

Why is Tav defending corners against center halves? 

The subs were wrong Middleton shouldn’t have come on. Kent is more capable and tactically aware . 

Wallace was nothing but  a time waster and should have waited til after the corner

poor management  

Wallace sub was just plain weird. 

I said during the week that Wallace on the bench was strange. It has been widely reported he was offered to Hearts as part of the Lafferty deal. I wondered whether it was to give him a few minutes if we were winning to get him one last appearance and roar from the fans crowd as a farewell before departing at end of window? Today’s final minute appearance hasn’t changed my opinion

2 minutes ago, ArthurNuman said:

I said during the week that Wallace on the bench was strange. It has been widely reported he was offered to Hearts as part of the Lafferty deal. I wondered whether it was to give him a few minutes if we were winning to get him one last appearance and roar from the fans crowd as a farewell before departing at end of window? Today’s final minute appearance hasn’t changed my opinion

Don’t think he’s going anywhere. Today was part of his reintroduction. Gerrard said being on the bench against UFA was for him to be back in and around the dressing room and I assume today was another step in the process. From what he has said he has a part for him to play in the squad.

Halliday got injured, so Airfield was brought on.

Middleton has lots of pace and can run and stretch defences, as he has done every time he's previously came on. It would've/should've changed the pressure from then, maybe got another goal. 

Wallace was being brought on to kill time, as is done all the time, and was ready to come on well before the corner. 

What happened was our defense looked very shaky today, but Tav and Goldson were dodgy as fuck, and the 2nd half was bad, all Motherwell. 

4 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

Halliday got injured, so Airfield was brought on.

Middleton has lots of pace and can run and stretch defences, as he has done every time he's previously came on. It would've/should've changed the pressure from then, maybe got another goal. 

Wallace was being brought on to kill time, as is done all the time, and was ready to come on well before the corner. 

What happened was our defense looked very shaky today, but Tav and Goldson were dodgy as fuck, and the 2nd half was bad, all Motherwell. 

Ok I agree with Arfield but we were way too deep to use Middleton as an out  infact he looked way to central to me

Everyone kinda knows you don’t make a sub whilst defending a corner. It wasn’t for time wasting the corner was always getting taken. 

1 hour ago, DC76 said:

Still trying and failing to get ma heid roon that sub..fuckin bonkers?

The sub did what he was told though and marked his man.Once again Tav has let his man walk away from him for a tap in.Let his  man get a free header for the second,lost his man at the near post when the guy missed a sitter and generally looked like a fuckin drunk man every time Motherwell attacked 

33 minutes ago, ronniemca said:

The sub did what he was told though and marked his man.Once again Tav has let his man walk away from him for a tap in.Let his  man get a free header for the second,lost his man at the near post when the guy missed a sitter and generally looked like a fuckin drunk man every time Motherwell attacked 

Naw buying it mate..to send a defensive sub on whilst defending a corner with 10 seconds on the clock was just fuckin stupid and cost us the win