Goal threat from 20+ yards/Creativity

gsa

When was the last time we had a player who could consistently find the target from the edge of the box or beat someone or play a cute pass down the side of defenders. I honestly can't remember. Teams know we'll get to the edge of the box, play a safe pass wide and then put in a cross that's either ballooned miles over everyone or it smashes the first defender. Really poor. Dorrans capable (or at least use to be) of scoring from distance or opening up a gap but physically he looks done. 

Utterly fed up of seeing us go wide constantly and play into diddy teams hands with woeful crossing.

Been saying it for years.  The bad habbits in this team are still there from the MW era.  We have a fear or inability to take a composed shot from outside the area.  The only times we have managed it recently have been flukes or from desperation. 

We really need to work on it.

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Lafferty was constantly trying to get off the shoulder of the CBs and nobody had the desire or quality to want to try the wee pass through. So we just ended up going back and forth.

First time I've ever seen Jack attempt to play forward tonight and he gave it away each time. I can understand why he only wants to go sideways. Coulibaly has athleticism but zero ability with the ball and Ejaria takes first too many touches and any space we might've had gets closed down. Awful centre midfield.

Few times tonight there were little openings to have a dig from outside the box but they favoured the pass to the side or even at times back to the halfway line. That for me goes back to the big player argument and tonight a lot of them proved again that they are not players big enough to influence a poor performance. Have a shot, ok you might miss but then again you might work the keeper or win a corner or get a  lucky deflection. Passing the ball backwards is just passing responsibility to someone else because you are not brave enough.

Bang on the money this.

Rogic in particular for them although they have others is capable of playing that final ball or hitting an unstoppable strike from outside the box.

We have no-one able to do it on an even semi-consistent basis. Tav if he gets up there can.

12 minutes ago, Malkster said:

When was the last time we had a shot from there? (rhetorical)

My old man has said this for a while and I’ve always dismissed it. I can count maybe 3 goals we’ve scored from outside the box in open play. 

We are in desperate need of a midfielder who can create, isn’t afraid to shoot and can play a risky pass as well. 

11 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Been saying it for years.  The bad habbits in this team are still there from the MW era.  We have a fear or inability to take a composed shot from outside the area.  The only times we have managed it recently have been flukes or from desperation. 

We really need to work on it.

We don't have the type of player required to play the number 10 role.  MW thought he had one in Kranjcar but he was finished.  The closest we've come to that type is Windass and he wasn't a great overall player either.  Gerrard didn't seem to target that type of player during the summer unless Grezda can perform that type of role.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

We don't have the type of player required to play the number 10 role.  MW thought he had one in Kranjcar but he was finished.  The closest we've come to that type is Windass and he wasn't a great overall player either.  Gerrard didn't seem to target that type of player during the summer unless Grezda can perform that type of role.

It doesn’t take a one player to do what we all know is missing though.  We want to tap the ball in if it’s on the deck instead of taking a chance from distance. 

Up until MW we always had that but now we don’t have it.  

We are weak in the middle of the park and lack both the assets mentioned in the OP.  We also miss the ability of Kent & Murphy to come from wide, cut in and score goals.  Grezda I'm still not sure about and Middleton looked like little boy lost tonight. 

Concentrated on the defence,thinking the attack was sound,then punted windass who contributed 20 fuckin goals last year..fannied about not getting Lafferty til he was cuptied then brought in fuckin Sadiq,whose barely kicked a ball and never will again😯