Could Docherty be converted to RB?

trueblueal

I think his path is blocked in midfield by Jack, McCrorie and Kamara in the spot that looks available with Arfield and Davis having that other places sewn. Could be converted to back up Tav like Halliday has done on the other side?

He's a great athlete, likes a tackle and is better driving forward than he is at playmaking. He's a runner and trier but I doubt has the passing range to be a Rangers midfielder. 

5 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

I don’t see why not.

Never understood how a coach at youth level tell you this is your position and that’s you for life.

Obviously you need to learn but if you’re a professional you should be able to adjust to certain positions.

I think its weird when you see people screaming "that's not his natural position!"

I understand that Peter Crouch was never going to be a full-back obviously,  but we aren't born with a predisposed football position. 

HDecent shout. I don't think he's gonna get much game time anyway.

He's got the engine and I'm sure his tackling and crossing would get better with practice.

Mind Ryan Jack played right back for Scotland so anything's possible.

Decent all round player with a bit of work could be a more than able deputy for the Tav man.

38 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

So it’s just me who thinks it’s not the worst suggestion in the world then? :lol::

We are a rare few. I don't expect he'd dislodge Tav but as a deputy for a variety of positions worse options. His strengths in midfield are covered by McCrorie already. He's our future there and even he has a struggle on his hands 

1 hour ago, trueblueal said:

I think his path is blocked in midfield by Jack, McCrorie and Kamara in the spot that looks available with Arfield and Davis having that other places sewn. Could be converted to back up Tav like Halliday has done on the other side?

He's a great athlete, likes a tackle and is better driving forward than he is at playmaking. He's a runner and trier but I doubt has the passing range to be a Rangers midfielder. 

Jack and McCroie are CDMs.  Docherty is a box-to-box player.  Gerrard has been forced to play Jack as a box-to-box player in midfield due to lack of options but I doubt he’s going to continue in that role now.  So no, McCrorie and Jack aren’t standing in his way.  Arfield and Davis are standing in his way.  I haven’t seen anything of this Kamara so no idea if he’s been brought here as a CDM or box-to-box.

Docerthy certainly isn’t a RB and won’t be played there.  Tavernier is the best RB in the country and Flanagan is adequate cover despite the shit he gets on here.

Some players have shown they can be skilled at many positions but master of none. Milner right now being the prime example. But don't see that type of player in docherty, he's a prime box to box midfielder.

You need to be very tactically switched on to play at full back and in the games he played for us that was one of his downfalls. Plenty of energy and guile with a touch of technical ability but right now he ain't the answer for right back.

Wish he could've come back this window as he's a far better option than the likes of Coulibaly and Rossiter. Hopefully in the summer there is a place for him in the squad.