Defoe doesn't fit our style

KingKirk

22 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

No team should be rigidly tied to one formation. A successful team can adapt to different circumstances and occasions.

I didn’t have an issue with us trying a different formation at Kilmarnock, I just thought it was bad timing and the wrong game to do it.

This. I think we’ll go 433 on Saturday purely because of player form at the moment, but i’ve every confidence we would torture the likes of St Mirren with the team that started against Killie. We were excellent until Worral’s meltdown. 

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

No team should be rigidly tied to one formation. A successful team can adapt to different circumstances and occasions.

I don’t have an issue with us trying a different formation, I just thought the Kilmarnock game was bad timing and the wrong game to do it.

I’d hope that pre season in the summer he starts to work on tactical flexibility.

This seasons been all about building attitude, culture and the type of system he likes to play. 

Chucking in the ability to mix up different formations can be too much, even if you are playing with a similar system in terms of tempo, passing style, defensive line etc. We are heading in the right direction thoug. 

17 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

You need to find a way to play both Mo & Defoe in the same team or find a formation when Mo can’t play to suit Defoe  

Defoe on his own in a 4-3-3 just isn’t his game. 

I think Defoe with Arfield behind him in a 4-4-1-1 would work against celtic away where you are relying on quick counter attacks and getting the ball to the striker in only 2 or three passes. But there’s only going to be a couple of instances of the need for a change like that in a season.

21 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

You need to find a way to play both Mo & Defoe in the same team or find a formation when Mo can’t play to suit Defoe  

Defoe on his own in a 4-3-3 just isn’t his game. 

Agreed that 4-3-3 isn't his formation and he's going to struggle in it.

Morelos doesn't play well with a strike partner and that's exactly what Defoe needs. Signing Davis made sense in that we needed a bit of creativity and hoped he'd bring that but think the Defoe signing was just a big name that we jumped at, he doesn't fit in with our formation at all and it would be ridiculous changing our entire shape to fit in a 36 year old isnt match fit & who is only here on loan, even in the games where Morelos isnt playing

Just now, Valance1690 said:

Agreed that 4-3-3 isn't his formation and he's going to struggle in it.

Morelos doesn't play well with a strike partner and that's exactly what Defoe needs. Signing Davis made sense in that we needed a bit of creativity and hoped he'd bring that but think the Defoe signing was just a big name that we jumped at, he doesn't fit in with our formation at all and it would be ridiculous changing our entire shape to fit in a 36 year old isnt match fit & who is only here on loan, even in the games where Morelos isnt playing

For me, with Defoe, its either him or Morelos paired with someone else or Morelos just up on his own which we have done but we do not score enough from that system.

14 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

When he's as good as morelos we play to his strengths. We should absolutely build the team round him.

He doesn't score enough goals to build a team around not as a striker, if he was more prolific I'd agree but he always goes spells without scoring.

16 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

He's been sent off once this season domestically,hardly Vinnie Jones :lol:

As I said mate, if you watched some of our games you'd have seen him sent off twice against Aberdeen in the league. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44995765

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46367204

8 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

As I said mate, if you watched some of our games you'd have seen him sent off twice against Aberdeen in the league. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44995765

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46367204

One was rescinded, but let's just ignore facts eh... 

28 minutes ago, Smile said:

He doesn't score enough goals to build a team around not as a striker, if he was more prolific I'd agree but he always goes spells without scoring.

He's got 21 goals already this season and it's only the end of Jan. He scores plenty. 

He had that horrible run of form last season but this season he's on fire.

32 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

One was rescinded, but let's just ignore facts eh... 

Right but he was sent off twice though wasn't he? And three times in half a season. And quite a few yellows where he could easily have picked up another one. 

He's had an issue with discipline, petty incidents etc. He's not a dirty player. He was getting picked on by refs too, no question. Was ridiculous like he was getting made out to be some kind of nutter type player, either like a Vinnie Jones or edmundo or something. 

Since the Aberdeen game he's toned it down a fair bit too. Could just have been an age thing and he's now matured a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

He's had an issue with discipline, petty incidents etc. He's not a dirty player. He was getting picked on by refs too, no question. Was ridiculous like he was getting made out to be some kind of nutter type player, either like a Vinnie Jones or edmundo or something. 

Well said on this part mate.

I think what pisses me off the most is he's treated/spoken on a level playing field with other players of a similar ilk. Even among our own support. 

Until there is balance to the argument it's almost pointless debating with anyone because the media set such a one sided rhetoric when talking about Morelos.

Brown, Bowman, Shinnie, MacKinnon at Hamilton are all 'as bad' but get away with either the behaviour itself or the spotlight on their discipline record - because they're Scottish and that's oor style!

18 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a support overreact as much as ours. 

Kent was shite (I also said this!)

Coullibaly was a world beater who needs signing up. 

Arfields shite

etc.

We need to be giving players more time than this!

Arfield has been terrible though.

Coullibaly hasn't been the same since he picked up his injury .

Defoe will score goals imo .

SG needs to keep Kent out wide that's where he is at his best not this tip of a diamond pish.

36 minutes ago, Orangeclement said:

Arfield has been terrible though.

Coullibaly hasn't been the same since he picked up his injury .

Defoe will score goals imo .

SG needs to keep Kent out wide that's where he is at his best not this tip of a diamond pish.

Far from it. 

7 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Far from it. 

He has, every 2nd touch is a tackle in all the games he has played I could probably say he has played well 3 times imo.

I want him to do well and hope it's just a settling in period .

I expect to see an upturn in form soon from him because he is the only real option to play behind Freddo.

5 minutes ago, Orangeclement said:

He has, every 2nd touch is a tackle in all the games he has played I could probably say he has played well 3 times imo.

I want him to do well and hope it's just a settling in period .

I expect to see an upturn in form soon from him because he is the only real option to play behind Freddo.

We all know this isn't true. 

2 hours ago, Smile said:

For me, with Defoe, its either him or Morelos paired with someone else or Morelos just up on his own which we have done but we do not score enough from that system.

Morelos on his own is our strongest in my opinion because that's what gets the best out of him

I know what you're saying about not scoring enough but against 6/7 teams in the league it really doesn't matter what formation we play, we're camped in their half for the full game regardless.

To beat those teams, we need better players, players who can create chances against packed defences & unfortunately we still dont have that quality midfielder who can split a team apart