Defoe doesn't fit our style

KingKirk

3 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

I don't know wtf we will do when Alfredo leaves.

Need to phone ma mammy.

Morelos is our best player.  He's the top striker in the country.  When he goes it'll be a huge loss for us.  You talk as if he's nothing.  We were very lucky to pick up Morelos for £1m and it's going to be very difficult to find a player of similar quality to replace him.  celtic spent £9m on a striker that isn't as good as El Buffalo.  

4 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

:rofl:

An emoticon isn't a counter argument so I'll just reaffirm my point that 'changing the team shape to accommodate Defoe does seem to effect overall performance' in a negative way.  If you need evidence of that go watch the Kilmarnock game again and how poorly that 4-4-2 diamond worked out.  Better yet, watch the Livingstone game that followed and how much better we played having gone back to a 4-3-3.  In time maybe Gerrard will figure out a way to get Defoe in to the team but for now I'd rather he stick with the 4-3-3 and keep our best performers who are Kent, Morelos, and Candeias, up top.

6 hours ago, BlueAvenger said:

Defoe and Davis....I'll reserve judgement for now ! 

Both miles off the pace atm which is understandable given the lack of football they have played and they need minutes to get up to speed, but our league situation means we need victories and can not afford to carry passengers which these two are just now. they should be on the bench and our Tim/Livi team should be the first 11.

7 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a support overreact as much as ours. 

Kent was shite (I also said this!)

Coullibaly was a world beater who needs signing up. 

Arfields shite

etc.

We need to be giving players more time than this!

Warburton for England manager 

9 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Were you standing next to me last night? Roaster next to me said after 20 minutes Defoe is finished and is our Robbie Keane cause mind he thought he could stroll it and got beat off Killie he said. 

Mentalists in our support

I’d be thrilled if Defoe scored at the rate Robbie Keane did. Us winning the league that year does change that he was great for them.

He was terrified of Thomson, though.

Just now, Creampuff said:

I’d be thrilled if Defoe scored at the rate Robbie Keane did. Us winning the league that year does change that he was great for them.

He was terrified of Thomson, though.

Exactly it’s been argued on here before sure he scored 12 in 16 or something. One result in a football fans head just totally alters any form of reality sometimes. 

6 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

I don't know wtf we will do when Alfredo leaves.

Need to phone ma mammy.

Losing the best player in the country and the best we've seen at Ibrox for nearly a decade would be a doddle right enough. 

Fucking weapon. 

Defoe is a good squad addition. He's not a first team pick. Gerrard needs to be strong on this. End of the day defoes near the end of his career he'll appreciate what's required. 

See when morelos gets a stupid red in the next few games, and defoe comes in and scores a winner, won't see any shite threads like this cropping up. 

8 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Defoe is a good squad addition. He's not a first team pick. Gerrard needs to be strong on this. End of the day defoes near the end of his career he'll appreciate what's required. 

See when morelos gets a stupid red in the next few games, and defoe comes in and scores a winner, won't see any shite threads like this cropping up. 

Why would this happen? 

9 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Hes still a good player look at what morelos does for us the chances he makes for himself and others and the goals he scores. Alfredo Morelos bullies defenders fucking destroys them Something Defoe can't do

You're literally arguing with yourself.

No one anywhere on this thread has said Defoe is better than Morelos. 

21 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Honestly think its far too soon to say whether Defoe should be a first team pick or not tbh.

42 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

It sounds like we are saying Defoe isn’t good enough to play for us in the SPFL?

That is just nonsense.  He has made a living out of scoring.

Course he will score goals but to get the best from him our style needs to change

Defoe at the moment seems a luxury player, the type who will do little but then come alive and score with a half chance. Don't think we're at the stage we can afford this yet. I also don't think our play at present is that good that we're creating an abundance of chances.

I'm still confident he'll do well for us, and tend to think he'll do far better at Ibrox where we'll likely push teams further back and the ball will be in the opposition box that bit more.

Saturday, hopefully we're a couple up and he can get the last 30 - 45 mins. I'd like to see him at Ibrox as a 2 with Morelos for  part of that, then finish as a lone forward supported by 2 wide men feeding him crosses.

He's got one goal, bawhairs from more, he'll get goals, no doubt, but he'll not be a true replacement for Morelos who dictates our best system now is with him as a 1 up front.

10 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Major problem going forward that and I dont think we should change to fit him in.

Dont get me wrong using 433 we have seen some poor performances but it suits this team and its got us challenging the scum

That is the future

We need to change as the system we play with Morelos upfront doesn't get us enough goals. Defoe needs time.

3 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

I get that forums are used to discuss and debate but seriously, will you stop making threads for every wee thought that pops in your head? He's made 2 starts, scored 1, played on 3 terrible pitches and isn't even match fit.

Just about sums the situation up, plus he’s still to adapt to the Scottish game. Once he builds some match sharpness and full fitness regardless of systems, he is a quality proven goalscorer in a top league. Think we will see the best of him (taking age in to account) following next seasons pre season...

32 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

You're literally arguing with yourself.

No one anywhere on this thread has said Defoe is better than Morelos. 

I don't expect anyone to either gonna be a nightmare trying to replace him and trying to get like for like somewhere.