Defoe doesn't fit our style

KingKirk

1 minute ago, the brown brogue said:

We saw this last season with Cummings, a small, penalty box striker does not suit the way we play. He might end up being a useful impact sub once he gets up to speed, but until then there's a big question mark over him for me. 

Hopefully thats the case because we cant play 2 up.

Morelos is our best player and we should build the team round him IF that means defoe as a sub thats fine by me. Morelos is better uptop himself and defoe cant do that IMO 

5 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

I hope so but we dont have enough quality behind him to pick out his runs in and around the box everything has been hit upto his head or in behind so far.

Hes no the type to get involved in the build hes always on the shoulder of the last defender

True but it is far too early to say he doesnt fit imo. Time to tell will be when he trains with the other guys more and is familiar with exactly what gerrard expects. Even if all his game was is playing off the shoulder and running onto through balls he will still get goals.

I still say he is a top signing.

My thinking is Gerrard has been after Defoe for some time now simply because of all the missed chances we have been wasting and wanted a natural goalscorer in to sort that out, so he must have an idea in mind on how to use him and Morelos in the same team, I like many others have no idea how he is going to achieve that but it would appear to me that he is willing to sacrifice Candias in order to accommodate Defoe which is unlucky on Candias and Tav is not so good without Candias backing him up, it's quite a gamble that Gerrard is going to take but I'm hoping Defoe can get up to speed quickly as we will still need someone to put away chances when they come along and although Defoe's done nothing of note so far he does seem to be making the right runs and getting into good positions so here's hoping.

4 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

We are trying to get him in this team at any cost IMO

No we’re not. The reason he was playing tonight was exactly why he was brought in.

Morelos shouldn’t be playing 90 mins every game but we only had Sadiq so he had to.

Defoe will score 10+ goals and help us in games Morelos isn’t making an impact in or if we’re chasing a goal.

2 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Morelos is our best player and we should build the team round him IF that means defoe as a sub thats fine by me. Morelos is better uptop himself and defoe cant do that IMO 

So we should just abandon  morelos and defoe up top because the killie defeat? We should be playing 2 upfront no matter what at ibrox imo.

9 minutes ago, Siwel said:

And that’s Jermaine Defoe’s fault because? Did he himself make the other 10 players play below par?

Changing the team shape to accomidate Defoe does seem to effect overall performance.  We play much better with the 4-3-3 and Defoe doesn’t fit in to that formation.

1 minute ago, CoopsLaud said:

True but it is far too early to say he doesnt fit imo. Time to tell will be when he trains with the other guys more and is familiar with exactly what gerrard expects. Even if all his game was is playing off the shoulder and running onto through balls he will still get goals.

I still say he is a top signing.

I think hes still a top player bud I think he will get goals  but he needs someone to do the leg work for him  like boyd(am no comparing them btw)

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

Morelos doesn't strike me as a player who wants a strike partner. He wants to be up top on his own and plays better that way. Regardless of the chances he misses he's the absolute focal point of the team and we're massively weakened without him. Will be difficult to replace him when he does move on and Defoe doesn't have the attributes to do it. Hopefully Defoes experience will be an asset off the pitch for our younger strikers to learn from, but a couple of goals against St Mirren certainly wouldn't go amiss either. 

8 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

My thinking is Gerrard has been after Defoe for some time now simply because of all the missed chances we have been wasting and wanted a natural goalscorer in to sort that out, so he must have an idea in mind on how to use him and Morelos in the same team, I like many others have no idea how he is going to achieve that but it would appear to me that he is willing to sacrifice Candias in order to accommodate Defoe which is unlucky on Candias and Tav is not so good without Candias backing him up, it's quite a gamble that Gerrard is going to take but I'm hoping Defoe can get up to speed quickly as we will still need someone to put away chances when they come along and although Defoe's done nothing of note so far he does seem to be making the right runs and getting into good positions so here's hoping.

My thinking is that’s the longest sentence I’ve ever read in my life.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Changing the team shape to accomidate Defoe does seem to effect overall performance.  We play much better with the 4-3-3 and Defoe doesn’t fit in to that formation.

We should not be stuck to a 4-3-3 in every game any good team should be able to change formation when required, we have played 4-3-3 almost all season and I have witnessed plenty of shite performances, it is important to make the opposition worry about how we are going to approach any given game but if we play the same formation every week it doesn't take long to Suss out how to combat it.

He hasn't played a full match yet has he?

We have a style of football that leaves a gap for a poacher to finish off the sitters that nobody else has been in place to finish off. The wee man fills that gap. He will be a game winner once match fit.