Big Goldson

MacBoyd

What's your thoughts on him? I thought he was ok at the start but had hoped he would kick on and improve. Hes went thr other way and now looks a poor player, it's been suggested he's carrying a knock so that could explain it.

I dont think hes nearly justified his transfer fee and if hes to be part of a title winning side he will be the poorer centre half.

3 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

What's your thoughts on him? I thought he was ok at the start but had hoped he would kick on and improve. Hes went thr other way and now looks a poor player, it's been suggested he's carrying a knock so that could explain it.

I dont think hes nearly justified his transfer fee and if hes to be part of a title winning side he will be the poorer centre half.

Hearts will never win the league again, that's what I think.

23 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Agree, still have nightmares of him at millers goal for dundee

Thing is when buying fringe players from the premier league is they are always going to be over priced. Add the fact that he’s played more games here in one season than his last 3 years, so I think that by the time December came he was out on his feet.  Maybe he shouldn’t have been but the physical demands of Scottish kick ball and more games would definitely have had an effect on him..    I remember his og at spartak that was total embarrassment.

he could totally turn out to be a stalwart next year after a full season under his belt but I think he needs help beside him and the way Gerrard all of a sudden just changes defenders about doesn’t help him.

36 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Ok. What about goldson?

He gets off with murder by the manager imo, should have been dropped a few times because others were dropped when performance levels dropped.

When he is 100% focused on his game he's a good defender but far too casual mostly and needs to impose himself more in games.

Gone from playing max 10 games a season under next to no pressure to 50 plus games a season in the pressure cooker of Rangers.

No idea why he's not gone through the season at this higher level without consistency and form in every game, and without making any errors. Nope, no idea why, so it's only right he's judged not good enough and should be sold...

8 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

He get's off with murder by the manager imo, should have been dropped a few times because others were dropped when performance levels dropped.

When he is 100% focused on his game he's a good defender but far too casual mostly and needs to impose himself more in games.

Summed the big guys situation up for me in this post mate.

I agree he is a good player on his game but he is too inconsistent for my liking.

I think he’s regarded as the experienced central  defender who’s expected to guide younger guys like Katic or Worrall, but in reality he’s not played a lot of games himself.

I think he could do with having a more experienced defender beside him for a year or two, by that I don’t mean McAuley but someone about thirty or so.

7 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Gone from playing max 10 games a season under next to no pressure to 50 plus games a season in the pressure cooker of Rangers.

No idea why he's not gone through the season at this higher level without consistency and form in every game, and without making any errors. Nope, no idea why, so it's only right he's judged not good enough and should be sold...

Give him another 4 seasons

Better than we've had in a quite a while but still not good enough to be a starter in a title winning team for me. A 3rd choice.

At 3m he has been a huge disappointment though. 

Should be Worrall and Katic between now and the summer.

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Nobody is expecting that and nobody has said we should sell him on this thread I don't think.

I honestly think he is shite cant defend shit scared from heading a ball that’s coming through the air, always let’s it bounce, gets turned too easy and sometimes he drifts over to where our other centre back and gets in his way. Also useless at defending and attacking corners.

49 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

It's strange because during the Euro run he and Katic looked unbeatable. I think when we were beaten by Livingston at the start of the season it was quite a shock how poor our defense actually was and it's almost as we've not recovered fully from it.

Weird, really liked the big guy at the start but don't know what's going on with him and Katic.

8 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Summed the big guys situation up for me in this post mate.

I agree he is a good player on his game but he is too inconsistent for my liking.

Inconsistency of form I can deal with, he is still relatively inexperienced for his age.

Inconsistency in his application is something I find harder to accept.

6 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Give him another 4 seasons

Perhaps understand this season's flaws, he gets the experience and benefit of a full season along with familiarity to the club and city, and we have an expectation of a better and more consistent player next season.

That aside, he's not contracted for another 4 seasons.

1 hour ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Hes a dud and always will be. He joins the long list of shite since we last had a solid defensive pairing in weir and bougherra. 

47 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Nobody is expecting that and nobody has said we should sell him on this thread I don't think.

The thread above yours suggests otherwise.

A capable defender. Not a solid no nonsense leader though. Would be fine as the 2nd centre back but he's our main man and I'm not sure he's up to that. 

Maybe after a season of 60 games and adjusting to the relentless pressure the experience will help him become a proper leader at the back