Defoe v Morelos Stats

2 hours ago, SonOfLuther said:

Jermain Defoe and Alfredo Morelos are both vying for a place in the Rangers starting lineup 

I read what you posted mate and agreed with most of it, but I would say that the stats arent a good barometer here as we have changed our formation/style slightly to suit Defoe (which is the right thing to do) but I would love to see Morelos playing in that team!

For me Morelos goes straight into the team on Sunday...if he does well then we stay the same for celtic, if it doesnt work we bring Defoe on and go with him for celtic!

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

It was working fine we should’ve been 2 up, the Worrall fuck up knocked all confidence out of them. 

Narrow front 3 of Mo Defoe Kent/Arfield would give Hibs something to think about. 

We were controlling the game and had drastically changed 11 that day!

Worral's mistake is the thing that people remember, but Gareth McAuley was awful, his defending for Jordan Jones goal was brutal! Andy Halliday at LB didnt try and take the ball past Chris Burke once, just dumped it back at Worral any time he got the ball...as did Davis!

But even with all that, we still hit the post and missed 2-3 other chances!

I agree with your front 3 though...dont think we should be changing formation or doing anything drastic as this point in the season.

3 minutes ago, Del said:

I read what you posted mate and agreed with most of it, but I would say that the stats arent a good barometer here as we have changed our formation/style slightly to suit Defoe (which is the right thing to do) but I would love to see Morelos playing in that team!

For me Morelos goes straight into the team on Sunday...if he does well then we stay the same for celtic, if it doesnt work we bring Defoe on and go with him for celtic!

To have the beauty of those 2 options now and the permutations/options is good for us.

I wouldn't like to be the gaffer making the choice, fine margins with Alfie & JD.

Don't think the same player will start our next 3 whoever gets the nod v hibs.

Just now, SonOfLuther said:

To have the beauty of those 2 options now and the permutations/options is good for us.

I wouldn't like to be the gaffer making the choice, fine margins with Alfie & JD.

Don't think the same player will start our next 3 whoever gets the nod v hibs.

I think if we have serious thoughts on selling Morelos, which I think will be the plan, then he has to start the next 3 games and get some goals!

If he doesnt perform, then Defoe can be brought on but I cant see past Morelos starting all 3.

Just now, Del said:

I think if we have serious thoughts on selling Morelos, which I think will be the plan, then he has to start the next 3 games and get some goals!

If he doesnt perform, then Defoe can be brought on but I cant see past Morelos starting all 3.

Until Alfie's suspension, I would've picked him every time.

Defoe hasn't failed us in that time.

I would start Defoe as he is playing consistently well and the team is winning.

I've learned not to try fix something if it isn't broken so with that in mind, Defoe for me mate.

20 minutes ago, Del said:

Morelos put in a big performance when we beat celtic back in December.  If he gave us that type of performance again, or even got a goal, it could really get teams interested.  However, you just know celtic players will be clipping his heels, elbowing him, and trying to get him to react.  If he got sent off again the guy would be labelled as a complete liability and where does that leave his value?  It could go either way.

44 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

He will change, you just have to compare him to Suarez in terms of discipline. He should have learned by now and he will sort it out, it just may not be with us.

It can't be with us , he's used up ALL his life's with Rangers,  Gerrard simply can't afford the risk. I wish the lad all the best as he's a talent who always gives 100% but you can hear the stadium having a sharp intake of breath EVERY time someone even looks at him. I'd go as far as to say although the Defoe incident with Lewis on Sunday was innocuous and he raised his arm to protect himself the fact that the big diving bastard goes down holding his head would have resulted in a red had Morelos been the player who lifted his arm as the referees are looking for him to transgress now.

9 minutes ago, TMB said:

Morelos our in a big performance when we beat celtic back in December.  If he gave us that type of performance again, or even got a goal, it could really get teams interested.  However, you just know celtic players will be clipping his heels, elbowing him, and trying to get him to react.  If he got sent off again the guy would be labelled as a complete liability and where does that leave his value?  It could go either way.

I mean dont get me wrong, if he gets sent off again I think he will be hounded out of the country but I dont see it!

He needs to play and hopefully get a few goals.

9 minutes ago, TMB said:

Morelos our in a big performance when we beat celtic back in December.  If he gave us that type of performance again, or even got a goal, it could really get teams interested.  However, you just know celtic players will be clipping his heels, elbowing him, and trying to get him to react.  If he got sent off again the guy would be labelled as a complete liability and where does that leave his value?  It could go either way.

Correct and that's EXACTLY why he must be sold asap, he's a liability and will be for at least another couple of years as there's no sign yet of improvement. If he does play against the tims he won't be the same player as he'll be concentrating on his discipline too much, that said we must play him to sell him.

It's a very difficult call and they are very different players. I doubt it would make any difference to the result no matter who plays. 

The problem is not Morelos, but his fellow pro's in the oppo. We can control Morelos to a degree, but we can't control the oppo. He maybe very restrained on the day, but there is only so much a player can take. My worry is the scum game. The baiting will be one thing, but such is the mentality of the taig, I've got a gut feeling they will be out for GBH on him. They know he is probably off and we need the money, so, it's their personal send off! They are utter fuckng scum.

You could write the script from the off if he starts. It will be boots left in as soon as he touches the ball. The trips, the nudges, the elbows, the jersey pulling. He will simply be the target and no doubt all orchestrated by broon and fully sanction by TLB.

I thnk we are in for fireworks. Hence the dilema. Do we protect the player,, or do we say fuck them, bring it on?

I wouldn't like to make that decision.

25 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

It can't be with us , he's used up ALL his life's with Rangers,  Gerrard simply can't afford the risk. I wish the lad all the best as he's a talent who always gives 100% but you can hear the stadium having a sharp intake of breath EVERY time someone even looks at him. I'd go as far as to say although the Defoe incident with Lewis on Sunday was innocuous and he raised his arm to protect himself the fact that the big diving bastard goes down holding his head would have resulted in a red had Morelos been the player who lifted his arm as the referees are looking for him to transgress now.

So in your mind we let go of a quality talented player because he gets sent off most of which are dubious at best.

Fuck sake hope we never sign another Souness or Gazze then or we are royally fucked.

1 hour ago, Del said:

Nah, I wouldn't bring Morelos straight back in. I'd give him the last 20-30 mins on Sunday and see where his head is.

Gut feeling is telling me to keep the same team as last couple of weeks for the rest of the season. 

I'd start Defoe against the taigs. More craft and less graft.

3 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I agree. it would be the wrong message to send if Morelos were to start and you don't tinker with a winning side. But at this stage in their careers, Morelos is clearly the better player.

I agree. it would be the wrong message to send if Morelos were to start and you don't tinker with a winning side. But at this stage in their careers, Morelos is clearly the better player ( potentially ) !

As for the here and now ?

2 hours ago, Del said:

Perhaps it would be better , from all perspectives, if Alfie was reported to be suffering from a 'slight knock' in training hence no performance expectations from the point of view of clubs scouting !

6 hours ago, Malvern said:

So in your mind we let go of a quality talented player because he gets sent off most of which are dubious at best.

Fuck sake hope we never sign another Souness or Gazze then or we are royally fucked.

Oranges and apples m8, you can do better than that. I'm not castigating Morelos I'm just saying best all round if he's sold. If he were to fu*k up in the next old firm game though you can bet your boots Gerrard will be castigated. 

2 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Oranges and apples m8, you can do better than that. I'm not castigating Morelos I'm just saying best all round if he's sold. If he were to fu*k up in the next old firm game though you can bet your boots Gerrard will be castigated. 

So we have to sell Morelos because the tims will be all over him like a rash on heat and the refs can't do fuck all as lieswell will not allow it unless it is to send our player off.

Seems fair to me.

At least Defoe stays on the pitch. You don't score many goals after picking up a red card. And Morelos has picked up too many of them.

Not only that, but he scares the shit out of you knowing he is only a meltdown away from another.

So I would stick him on the bench, and keep him as a supersub if we need him.