Let’s play Tavernier at left back!

beararse

8 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Its stuck with him throughout his time here, people expect Tav to make these lung bursting runs up to the opposition box but still be in the line of defence if the other team breaks on us, he litreally cannot win.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player, far from it .

He’s just not a great defender, partly due to his efforts going forward as you pointed out. He can’t be in two places at once.

He is, or at least was, highly suspect when facing a decent winger or anyone running at him and was guilty of losing his man, ball watching etc.

Guaranteed there will be a thread about how shit he is when he makes a hash of something resulting in us dropping points, as per last year.

To clarify, as a whole package I think he’s a great player, very athletic and an attacking threat but a very average defender, regardless of his recent  improvements.

6 hours ago, BlueMe said:

I can accept a different opinion when it's backed up with facts and the person at least has a bit of knowledge on the subject that they're discussing.

My opinion of you being an idiot is backed up with facts (this thread) and i've used my knowledge on the subject and given you an example of why playing Flanagan at RB instead of Tav is stupid. 

I don't know why you're getting offended at someone calling you an idiot after posting this thread and some of the posts you've made in it tbh.

But we can’t back anything up with facts as it was a hypothetical proposition, based on what I believe are reasonable assumptions (in terms of defending).

Tav IMO won’t be any worse on the left, Flanagan’s defending IMO is likely to improve on the right.

You don’t agree. That doesn’t make me an idiot.

As for some of my posts, they are entirely  consistent and repeat the exact same opinion so don’t try and make out I’m full of idiotic suggestions. It’s the one opinion explained to various parties, as flawed as it may be.

16 minutes ago, beararse said:

But we can’t back anything up with facts as it was a hypothetical proposition, based on what believe are reasonable assumptions (in terms of defending,

Tav IMO won’t be any worse on the left, Flanagan’s defending IMO is likely to improve on the right.

As for some of my posts, they are entirely  consistent and repeat the exact same opinion so don’t try and make out I’m full of idiotic suggestions. It’s the one opinion explained to various parties, as flawed as may be.

Apart from the fact Flanagan has already played at RB and was absolutely shite and has already cost us 2 goals this season with his "defending".

41 minutes ago, beararse said:

But we can’t back anything up with facts as it was a hypothetical proposition, based on what believe are reasonable assumptions (in terms of defending,

As for some of my posts, they are entirely  consistent and repeat the exact same opinion so don’t try and make out I’m full of idiotic suggestions. It’s the one opinion explained to various parties, as flawed as may be.

Tavs  assists is usually down to a ball between keeper and 6 yard box.  Whereas playing in the left his crossing would be coming in between the 6 yard box and the 18 yard box,  2 different type of balls the 2nd one being easier for the keeper to defend and harder for the attacker. 

The easiest solution to this is buy a replacement lb and you stick to the paedo forums 

1 hour ago, willygers4life said:

The easiest solution to this is buy a replacement lb and you stick to the paedo forums 

Agreed with the section in bold. 

The second part is entirely irrelevant.

Presumably you never listen, read, comment or react to anything in the media/on here regarding those across the city?

1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

Just stop mate ffs.

The principle remains the exact same regardless of left or right back.

The ability of the player varies.

If Flanagan is viewed as an acceptable LB option by Gerrard then why is it inconceivable that Tav couldn’t fill in it left back ?

After all, he is the better footballer.

Flanagan doesn't offer more than Tav at RB,  no one at the club does.

There is no good reason whatsoever to move him from his strongest position on the off chance he strengthens the left hand side, as we will be left weak down the right now.

Your point would make some sense if we had another RB as good as Tav sitting on the bench, but we don't, so it's mental to even think about it.

22 minutes ago, beararse said:

The principle remains the exact same regardless of left or right back.

The ability of the player varies.

If Flanagan is viewed as an acceptable LB option by Gerrard then why is it inconceivable that Tav couldn’t fill in it left back ?

After all, he is the better footballer.

Exactly, that's my point, Flanagan was/is pish at RB and he's equally pish at LB.

He's only playing at LB now because there's no better option at the moment - that doesn't mean he's good enough to play either position and it certainly doesn't mean he's good enough to replace Tav at RB.

If left mid was a problem area for us, would you suggest replacing Jones with Morelos because "after all, Morelos is a better footballer"

Admit you fucked it and move on tbh.

2 hours ago, BlueMe said:

Exactly, that's my point, Flanagan was/is pish at RB and he's equally pish at LB.

He's only playing at LB now because there's no better option at the moment - that doesn't mean he's good enough to play either position and it certainly doesn't mean he's good enough to replace Tav at RB.

If left mid was a problem area for us, would you suggest replacing Jones with Morelos because "after all, Morelos is a better footballer"

Admit you fucked it and move on tbh.

No, because one is a striker and one is an attacking midfielder!

Just like I wouldn’t be looking to replace Goldson with Jack.

Dont think I’ve fucked it, and here’s why.

Is left back a problem position? Yes

Is Tavernier a better footballer than Flanagan? Yes.

Is Tavernier a more two footed player than Flanagan? Yes

Is Tavernier more important to Rangers going forward or defending? Going forward

Does Tavernier have to ability to cope and adapt to playing on the left more so than Flanagan? I believe so.

Is Tavernier any less likely to perform his defensive duties as left back? I don’t think so

Is Flanagan a more robust defender than Tavernier? Definitely.

Has Flanagan played the vast majority of games  out of position since signing for Rangers? Yes.

Does Tavernier contribute more in the attacking 2/3rds of the pitch? Yes.

Has Flanagan performed well as right back at Rangers? I’d say so.

You listed 2 games where Flanagan played right back and stated  he was shit in both. Practically the entire Rangers team were shit in both those games.

He has actually played 5 games as right back: in the 4-0 v Ayr, 2-0 win v St Mirren and the 3-3 draw with Motherwell (which, incidentally, was a game where Tavernier lost his man at corners TWICE and they scored on both occasions), as well as the 2 you mentioned but let’s just ignore those games as it doesn’t suit your narrative!

As for the two games you referenced. The Kilmarnock game was the last game of the season and a dead rubber. The Cowdenbeath game wasn’t great but judging him as right back on those two games is a bit harsh. The Cowdenbeath game also had McAuley as Centre Half, and we were 3 up by half time. I would expect having not played the 10 games beforehand might have had an impact on Flanagan’s performance levels. No?

To say Flanagan is a shit left AND right full back  is just nonsense. Gerrard wouldn’t pick him for the all important EL and Old Firm games otherwise. 

Anyway, I happen to believe that Flanagan could contribute more to the team playing right back and that Tavernier would be just as effective as he already is playing left back.

22 hours ago, beararse said:

EDIT: All I'm getting is the usual  knee jerk insults. Posted elsewhere on this topic a list of right footed left backs so for the hard of thinking i've added them to this post.

Maldini, Lahm, Irwin, Zanetti, Zambrotta, Howedes, Azpilicueta, Breitner, Junior, Brehme...I could go on.

There have been, and are loads of great right footed left backs.

So, why not give it a go?

Crazy, I know but hear me out.

Tav is exceptional at driving forward. He could cut in and shoot across the keeper (eg. that Hibs free kick).

He actually does most of his damage these days tearing through the middle from deep.

He can cut in, create space for one of our many left sided wingers and slide balls from in to out all day long. 

Flanagan is a right back, limited going forward but solid defensively and will surely be more comfortable on the right.

And, before you call me a tit for even suggesting this, consider the right footed players who have excelled as a left back before hitting the keyboard.

Doesn't seem like the daftest suggestion that will appear on Rangersmedia....or is it?

🙂 

10 minutes ago, beararse said:

Is Tavernier any less likely to perform his defensive duties as left back? I don’t think so

Is Flanagan a more robust defender than Tavernier? Definitely.

Has Flanagan performed well as right back at Rangers? I’d say so.

I'm out

9 hours ago, beararse said:

Hardly.

Also, what about stopping the ball coming in in the first place? Anything to do with playing a right back at left back?

So, swapping them over you would have a decent defender playing his natural position and a dodgy (IMO) defender on the other who remains dodgy but can excel  moving forward. So, in my mind at least, there is a potential nett gain in the quality of defending.

Bear in mind it is a temp solution, as a few on here pointed out with the examples I provided (Lahm being of them)

If Flanagan was a decent defender, (btw I’m not convinced he’s a good defender at all) then why can’t he just do what your suggesting tav do, an show he’s a decent defender on the left?

so you know more about a players ability to defend than Gerrard? Is that really what your saying here, cos that’s what it sounds like your saying, you can see tav is dodgy but Gerrard can’t?

My personal opinion is barisic is better than Halliday and Flanagan at lb but I’m happy to admit I know fuckall abt football compared to Gerrard, so if he thinks barisic is shite then he’s more than likely got more of a clue as an ex player & now a manager than somebody like me who makes a living as a joiner