2nd UEFA Charge

BridgeIsBlue

7 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Racist and other discriminatory behaviour.

It all falls under the same charge mate.

The wording is wrong then mate, 

"The Club now faces an additional UEFA charge of racist behaviour for sectarian singing during the first leg of our Europa League play–off tie against Legia Warsaw last Thursday evening"

Thats clearly says charged with racism for singing. Tbh it doesnt seem that mad as we live in a fuckin twilight zone where minorities rule majorities and science is no longer valid as feelings trump facts. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bears r us said:

The only explanation I can come up with is that UEFA expected Rangers to speak to our supporters after the game on 18/7, when apparently they were told we had been reported, other wise it is a real fuck up to be charged again for a game that was before the charge last Friday. 

It makes no sense to me mate and tbh, I don't know why we have lawyers representing us. There could possibly be a loophole in this despite the pretentious INK people saying otherwise

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There's always grey areas when it comes to language. If you can't use certain terms, you often replace them with new ones. UEFA find that 'fenian' can be used to refer to catholics so have deemed it sectarian.

It's not particularly a bad word, but then I don't feel there's any such thing as a bad word, more the meaning behind the word.

But then are we at the stage where even if we change the words and keep the tune of TBB, that will still be enough to face sanctions as the tune being so well known brings its own connotations? 

The option we are left with us to sing generic football songs and nothing to do with the club or our history, though a regular dusting off of Every Other Saturday is something I will never tire of. 

Just now, Coop said:

The courts.

How would that work?

What would we be taking them to court for?  Not letting us do something that is clearly against the rules we signed up to isn't a reason to take them to court.

I don't even know how we could begin arguing in favour of letting us sing songs that denigrate a religion ( like it or not, that is how some of our songs are seen by UEFA)

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's not really though. UEFA don't want (potentially) tens of thousands of people chanting discriminatory things against a protected group (under anti-discrimination legislation) and are clamping down on it.

If folk dont want to land us in shit, save the songs and 'protests' about Anglo-Irish politics and the Roman Catholic church outside.

I thought it was how the word was used in context mate being honest am shocked that it's basically banned I genuinely didn't know

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

Someone said in the thread it would almost be admitting guilt if we came out and said don't sing this or that before the hearing. 

I can kinda get that but aye still a bit shite it wasn't leaked out somehow 

Ok with that thinking, I guess

Just now, Rfc52 said:

Someone said in the thread it would almost be admitting guilt if we came out and said don't sing this or that before the hearing. 

I can kinda get that but aye still a bit shite it wasn't leaked out somehow 

I would argue that it kinda was.

A whole fucking campaign was started with our players and board telling us to cut it out.

We cannot say that we were not told to stop it. We were, repeatedly.

Apparently it wasn't obvious enough though.

Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

But then are we at the stage where even if we change the words and keep the tune of TBB, that will still be enough to face sanctions as the tune being so well known brings its own connotations? 

The option we are left with us to sing generic football songs and nothing to do with the club or our history, though a regular dusting off of Every Other Saturday is something I will never tire of. 

Plenty of songs celebrating our great club's history that make no reference to fenians, the pope or anything remotely offensive.

13 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Aye, lets lose out on millions every year, just so we can sing some songs.

Solid plan.

Or let's bend over and take the witch hint against our club from a CORRUPT UEFA and fenian tinted fare.

Like it gogzy...

This board wouldn't have the baws anyway, too busy appeasing EVERYONE and ANYONE apart from Protestant, Unionist Rangers supporters of whom they are shamed of...

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

We got done for singing Build My Gallows so that's that theory out the window. 

Got a link to that charge?  I'd need to see the wording to it to make sure we go charged under the same section for the same thing.

If not then we aren't comparing apples to apples.

1 minute ago, gogzy said:

How would that work?

What would we be taking them to court for?  Not letting us do something that is clearly against the rules we signed up to isn't a reason to take them to court.

I don't even know how we could begin arguing in favour of letting us sing songs that denigrate a religion ( like it or not, that is how some of our songs are seen by UEFA)

Aye it's there competition don't like it don't take part. Simple really

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

A whole fucking campaign was started with our players and board telling us to cut it out.

We have all these initiatives at different times in a season. You'd need to be fucking mystic meg to think it was to do with the St Joe's game and a pending uefa charge 

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Tbh, I think this was coming anyway but the launch was rushed forward after the initial St. Joseph's charge.

Just now, Rfc52 said:

We have all these initiatives at different times in a season. You'd need to be fucking mystic meg to think it was to do with the St Joe's game and a pending uefa charge 

It was “obvious” mate. Guys acting like he sat in ibrox shouting at everyone for the past 20 years to “stop singing these songs”

”stop it please !”

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

I thought it was how the word was used in context mate being honest am shocked that it's basically banned I genuinely didn't know

It kinda is the context.

This is why they can possibly get away with their 'fenian army' shite, although I dont think that will last either.

Im pretty sure that every one of our uses for the word are derogatory though.

Not really sure I have heard many 'Ah thats one cute little fenian!', or 'He is giving the fenians a good name!'.

1 minute ago, falkirkNS said:

Or let's bend over and take the witch hint against our club from a CORRUPT UEFA and fenian tinted fare.

Like it gogzy...

This board wouldn't have the baws anyway, too busy appeasing EVERYONE and ANYONE apart from Protestant, Unionist Rangers supporters of whom they are shamed of...

We have no choice but to bend over and take it.  We are playing in their game, with their ball.  it's their rules.  Nothing else really matters.

If we give them a towing on Sunday Aggadoo will be offensive, always the same , referees and songs whenever their shitting themselves, famine song was banned coz we beat them 4v2 at the piggery , the Pedro mendes goal game , that’s fact to 

If fare are videoing our supporters and sending it too UEFA is this not exactly when the board should be saying hold on a minute here, how can you call this organisation impartial?  The man that runs it is married to a known celtic supporting, IRA sympathising bastard, clearly he is not neutral going by his own home.  Then of course he is a will known hater of British nationalism/unionism aswell.  How can we take his complaints seriously against our club?

but no fucking shitebags the lot of them!!

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Plenty of songs celebrating our great club's history that make no reference to fenians, the pope or anything remotely offensive.

Hence my listing of every other saturday. If we go back to those songs then great. 

I just have that same sinking feeling I had back in 2012 where the eyes and fingers were aimed directly at us.

Club 1872 would like to echo the message from Rangers regarding the damaging charges from UEFA both in relation to the St Josephs match at Ibrox and the recent game in Poland against Legia Warsaw.

It is clear that UEFA has taken a decision to class sectarian singing in the same bracket as racism and as a result has a clear and rapidly escalating framework of punishments for any club charged with such offences. This means that we will quickly arrive at the point where Ibrox may be closed for a home European tie if outbreaks of sporadic sectarian singing continue. This will not only effect tens of thousands of our own supporters but also the management team and players, who would have to operate in such circumstances. This is particularly frustrating as the atmosphere generated at European games at Ibrox this season has been largely free of such sectarian songs.

To be absolutely clear, songs, words and terms classed as sectarian by UEFA include ‘The Billy Boys’, any reference to “fenians” or any pejorative terms about Catholics or the Pope. The charges do not relate only to one song but to anything in the brackets above, including add ons to otherwise inoffensive songs.

We share some of the concerns over the lack of transparency, accountability and consistency in the operations of FARE. However, those concerns cannot be properly addressed while we are in a position where FARE can provide UEFA with video evidence of sectarian singing involving even a small number of Rangers supporters, as was the case in Warsaw.

Club 1872 fully supports Rangers’ Everyone Anyone campaign. It is absolutely clear in the discussions that we have had in the past few weeks and months that the club will not tolerate sectarian behaviour. We will continue to work with them to ensure that there is constructive and meaningful engagement with supporters on this issue going forward.

Every single Rangers supporter must now take responsibility for promoting a positive image of our club and support. Ibrox is one of the most impressive arenas in European football when it is full and noisy. We have a host of ways to generate that unique atmosphere without reverting to songs which will see the club sanctioned. Let’s get Ibrox rocking on Thursday night and roar our team into the groups stages of the Europa League.

http://club1872.co.uk/news/club-1872

Archived