Gerrard Poll

BridgeIsBlue

Gerrard Poll  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Happy with things up until now?

2. 2. Has he done enough since the summer of 2018?

3. 3. When should he be sacked?

• Failure to qualify for EL
    • Fail to win the League Cup
    • League Championship
    • Scottish Cup
    • Sometime next season
  4. 4. Does 10 in a row matter to you?

5. 5. What age are you?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The next few weeks are huge. The scum will start playing top half teams, they've not really yet.

Hivs (h)

St J (a)

Rangers (h)

Sheep (a)

Motherwell (a)

Hivs (a)

We'll have more of an idea where we're at then.

If the league isn't won this season Gerrard has been given fair opportunity and some, his time will be up.

We're already at the stage where we could be going into the first game against them chasing, drop points again on Sunday and it's curtains imo. 

I think we've improved under gerrard when you look at the state we were in when he arrived. 

However he'll be judged on trophies like any other Rangers manager. We've collapsed twice in the league post winter break and made 1 cup final in 4 attempts. That's simply not good enough. 

I do have my doubts about the management. His use of substitutes is still poor. There doesn't appear to be an alternative plan when games are going against us. 

I wonder if he's going to be the manager that puts the blocks in place but it will take another manager to get us across the line. 

If he doesn't deliver the league this season his time is up. He'll have had enough time to crack it and if he can't, he never will. 

I pretty much made up my mind that I didn't think we would win anything under him after the 2-0 defeat at home to celtic at the beginning of last season. I haven't seen anything since to disabuse me of that view.

While it cannot be argued against that he has taken the side up several levels, the team has continually made the same mistakes over and over again under his tenure and I don't think the team has seen any improvement from his first few months in charge.

Just because he has taken us from where we were to where we are now doesn't wash with me. What he is achieving is bare minimum for us. We have to continue going forward and getting better and I just don't think we are. He shouldn't be allowed to survive another trophy less season, but I suspect the clowns running the show will allow him to continue.

One thing for me is that if we don't win anything this season, along with the coaching staff, then the likes of Tav, Goldson and Jack should be cleared out. Mainstays of failure, no matter how decent they are, are still failures. These guys will be our generation's versions of the likes of Craig Paterson, Cammy Fraser and Iain Ferguson (and I would point out these guys still won a couple of League Cups too).

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

One thing for me is that if we don't win anything this season, along with the coaching staff, then the likes of Tav, Goldson and Jack should be cleared out. Mainstays of failure no matter how decent they are are still failures. These guys will be our generations versions of the likes of Craig Paterson, Cammy Fraser and Iain Ferguson (who I would point out actually won a couple of League Cups too).

That was my issue with Gerrard keeping Tav captain. All he done was extend previous managements failures onto his new squad. If Gerrard goes then a clear out will be necessary too.

9 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

That was my issue with Gerrard keeping Tav captain. All he done was extend previous managements failures onto his new squad. If Gerrard goes then a clear out will be necessary too.

I agree Tav should never be captain. But I look at the current sqaud and I don't see anyone else that shouts captain material. 

I think a captain would need to be signed

I don’t think there’s any chance whatsoever of Gerard being sacked.

Too many forget the utter shambles he inherited a couple of years ago following Warburton & Pedro & too many underestimated the task he had taken on.

Sacking a manager is easy. Having a replacement is the hard part as we found out when Warburton got pushed out.

Gerard’s record is unusual because his record against the yahoos is ok. No more conceding 5 against a hem anymore.It’s the record against Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts etc which is the concern

3 minutes ago, The hustler said:

Too many forget the utter shambles he inherited a couple of years ago following Warburton & Pedro & too many underestimated the task he had taken on.

He's had 4 transfer windows and just about through his 5th having spent close to £30m,how much longer do we give him? Another 2 or 3 with an extra £10-15m on top of it? 

1 minute ago, The hustler said:

Sacking a manager is easy. Having a replacement is the hard part as we found out when Warburton got pushed out.

Gerard’s record is unusual because his record against the yahoos is ok. No more conceding 5 against a hem anymore.It’s the record against Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts etc which is the concern

To be fair if this season pans out like the last one then he would need to sacked, thats if he doesnt chuck it. I dont think he necessarily needs to win the league but he at least needs to make a right good fight of it.

So far, i have to say, the signs arent good. You would like to think that lessons from the last 2 years have been learned but that doesnt look the case. We still struggle to break down teams who sit in, we still crack under any mental pressure and we still concede soft goals.

9 minutes ago, The hustler said:

Football doesn't really work like that though, 

There has to be measures in place to use for performance when it comes to Gerrard, no manager should just be retained regardless of how they perform. 

RE where we were and now are, there is an element of tough shit to that in some ways, we also took on Gerrard as a rookie manager at a time when you could argue he shouldn't have been given a job of that profile. 

The club reputation has increased since he was here, that should then mean we can attract a better candidate because of that. That is often how football can happen, a side like Southampton for instance found that teams on occasion are ruthless. 

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

We're already at the stage where we could be going into the first game against them chasing, drop points again on Sunday and it's curtains imo. 

Falling 7 points behind is normally curtains when it comes to the league.  It can be pulled back at 7 points, it's been done in the past, but the majority of the time there's no coming back.  Assuming celtic win their game in hand we'll only be 2 points behind.

I agree Motherwell, Kilmarnock, the Old Firm at Parkhead (if the government allow it to go ahead) are all big games but we can win those.  It's still too early to hit the panic button.  

Personally, I don’t care about ten, so what if it’s a record, it was achieved during a time we all know fine well about without me covering it. And outside our shitehole of a country, who else cares?!  There’s teams across several Euro leagues now on several title wins in a row, it’s just what money has done to many a league. Conversely, they will not celebrate 10, 11, 12, etc anywhere near as much as when we win our next.  Also, I couldn’t give a flying fuck if during those celebrations, the mhanks will say ‘aye but we won 10’ or equivalent. We will revel in their pain. 

As for Gerrard, no doubt we are in a better position than we were before him but he has had major investment in the playing staff to achieve that, significantly more than the dross we play against yet he keeps making the same mistakes over and over, dropping unnecessary points. That was acceptable 10-20 years ago when the competition was much stronger across the board but the mhanks aren’t dropping those level of points so we can’t afford these if you are going to win a league or trophies.  A good start could have been an excellent start and the team still seem to crumble or not produce when pressure is put on. Again, personally, I don’t think we’ll win a trophy under his stewardship. 

Glaring issues not addressed quickly enough, like the engine room having one purchased midfielder in it costing £50k, underperforming players retaining their start, I just don’t see a complete will to win with them (call it a losers mentality or shitebaggery), they just can’t seem to drive themselves over the line the way they other mob do, that’ll be our undoing and, whether the players are at fault or not, the blame always lies at the managers door. Too many just don’t get it, including SG, that something extra is needed to play for us. He didn’t win a league at Liverpool but being 2nd after not winning for 30years would be seen as a very good season. If we’re second, you might as well have been nowhere. Only a Rangers fan gets that. 

We are definitely going in the right direction but I’m sick of him making silly mistakes like he did in S1, if it continues he can fuck off back to his Mrs down south.  I’d much rather have winners around the club than high profile names. 

ps, sorry for rant. 

6 minutes ago, TMB said:

I agree Motherwell, Kilmarnock, the Old Firm at Parkhead (if the government allow it to go ahead) are all big games but we can win those.  It's still too early to hit the panic button.  

Hibs had a go and we struggled, Motherwell and Kilmarnock will sit in and we'll more than likely struggle again like we did at Livingston. 

Our manager has had a homework period of 5 months due to COVID-19 and still can't find a way. 

Got absolutely no faith for us moving forward anymore. 

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

Falling 7 points behind is normally curtains when it comes to the league.  It can be pulled back at 7 points, it's been done in the past, but the majority of the time there's no coming back.  Assuming celtic win their game in hand we'll only be 2 points behind.

I think we'll be at least 7 behind come the turn of the year unless Gerrard does something he's failed to do so far and go on a really long run of league wins.

I think the old firm on the 17th (if it goes ahead), the Killie away game and sadly even the Aberdeen at home games have to earmarked as games we're likely to drop points in given our current record against them under Gerrard.

Can't see those cunts dropping much outwith a couple draws at best either sadly. 

We need to still be in the title race by the time of the league cup final, which we need to win.

If this isn't the case he needs to go. Said it at the time last season whoever won that final would push on to win the league. 

Dominating them in that final and still losing was crippling mentally for us 

21 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

you could argue he shouldn't have been given a job of that profile. 

The club reputation has increased since he was here, that should then mean we can attract a better candidate because of that. That is often how football can happen, a side like Southampton for instance found that teams on occasion are ruthless. 

No body else wanted the job, Dennis.  An established manager with a proven track record of success, one with a solid reputation, wasn't going to walk in to a basket case of a club and try to overcome Brendan Rodgers' celtic side.  We took a gamble appointing a rookie manager, but I think it's fair to say Gerrard took a personal gamble taking us on as well.  If things went tits up this could've been his first and last job as a manager.  

If Gerrard walked right now could we go and get a manager with a proven track record of success?  I still have my doubts.

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

No body else wanted the job, Dennis.  An established manager with a proven track record of success, one with a solid reputation, wasn't going to walk in to a basket case of a club and try to overcome Brendan Rodgers' celtic side.  We took a gamble appointing a rookie manager, but I think it's fair to see Gerrard took a personal gamble taking us on as well.  If things went tits up this could've been his first and last job as a manager.  

If Gerrard walked right now could we go and get a manager with a proven track record of success?  I still have my doubts.

Sorry but it is flat out bollocks to say no one, not one single person wanted it. 

And that was then..... this is now, it is redundant where we were 3 years ago to where we are now, we would be recruiting from a different place. 

We don't currently have a manager with a proven track record of success there would likely be an element of gamble to our next recruit as well, again, that won't be reason for us not to change. 

That doesn't mean we simply let a manager work for us without any measures or wants from them

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

I give us about a 50-50 chance on Thursday.

If we lose, it will be the same abuse and then some and I might actually agree with some of it.

But if we win, the same moaners won't give the manager any credit

Not one person on this forum has had anything but praise for Gerrard in Europe. 

There’s people on here who think losing the guts of £14m in Europe will help us beat Kilmarnock and Hibs. 

The problem is Gerrard and his team prefer the nice pretty lights and football in Europe rather than rolling up the sleeves for domestic success. Tells ye all you need to know about them. Their mentality is bigger exposure in Europe for them rather than lifting trophies 

Archived