We've won nothing yet, but...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last season after 18 league games we had only dropped 7 points in total.  That was a hell of a platform too.  The difference this year must be that we must carry that form on in to the second half of the season.  I’m confident we will but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  One game at a time and all that.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Last season after 18 league games we had only dropped 7 points in total.  That was a hell of a platform too.  The difference this year must be that we must carry that form on in to the second half of the season.  I’m confident we will but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  One game at a time and all that.

I think the lack of winter break plus the better depth we have will allow us to finally get over that 2nd half of the season hurdle. 

But yeah trying not to look to far ahead the now. Onto the next game 👍

43 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I think the lack of winter break plus the better depth we have will allow us to finally get over that 2nd half of the season hurdle. 

But yeah trying not to look to far ahead the now. Onto the next game 👍

I’m still not sure why the winter break or a trip to Dubai would cause the wheels to come off our season.  You’d think it would be a benefit but obviously not.  Hopefully playing straight through this season will make the difference and we can keep this form going until the very end.

I know we've won nothing yet (and I'm the first to say it myself) but I'll tell you why I feel this has a much different feel about it (by "it" I mean the previous two seasons we've been on top like this)

Losing that late goal against Benfica felt like a defeat to me. I've been in a cunt of a mood the last couple of days due to it.

Maybe that's wrong in some folks eyes or I sound like a spoilt, entitled fud - it's nothing like that.

I'm still proud of the performance over there & I'm not blaming the team (even Helander and Arfield)

I've not said anything bad about them off the back of it - I've reassured myself that the feeling will pass, that it's ok to be gutted but ultimately that feeling, well it's a sign of how far we've come when a draw away to Benfica that puts us top of our European group halfway through it, makes you feel gutted. 

But what I'm getting round to saying is - I sat at the Airport the next day with my pal, boozing, and couldn't really shake it. My mate was telling me to look at the bigger picture etc (which I agreed with) but I said to him that I can handle feeling like this, provided the team don't feel like this. 

I'll soak up these feelings, but the team needs to be positive, put that late set-back behind them and not let it effect them and carry that disappointment into Sunday.

The last thing I wanted was that late sucker punch undermining all the good work we've done so far this season. Maybe that sounds drastic, but I do think football is as much a mentality/confidence game as it is skill and it's full of fine lines that can determine your next game.

I genuinely didn't see todays 8-0 coming. I actually thought it would be a hard-fought 1/2-0 maybe even 2-1 or something if the defence's confidence went a little.

But none of that happened. That's why I legitimately believe that even though it was only a rout at home to Hamilton, it was a bigger result that some might think.

We went out, put Thursday night to the side, played the same style & system, with the same confidence and kept our usual clean sheet - with player changes in and out, keeping things nice and fresh.

A team who's bottle and mentality had (rightly) been in doubt these last couple of years, the team before this wouldn't have went out and turned that sort of performance in like it was nothing to them.

I know some folk are gonna say "cool story bro" or I'm being dramatic. Maybe I am being dramatic, but this season means so much. I'm possibly even looking for issues that don't actually exist on my part too. But that's the way my mentality is when every game feels like a cup final.

We're 1/3 of the way through the season and things are going better than we could all have hoped. We will fuck up somewhere along the line, but I honestly hope we don't get carried away with the negatives of it and just refocus again, like today & continue the good work.

and aye, another essay from me.

Usually we’re downbeat when we lose a goal in the last minute like at Benfica, we tended to carry on that woe is me attitude into the next game. 

Totally different change in attitude, almost like Benfica didn’t happen and that’s exactly the sort of mentality you need. Get it out your system before your next game

4 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I know we've won nothing yet (and I'm the first to say it myself) but I'll tell you why I feel this has a much different feel about it (by "it" I mean the previous two seasons we've been on top like this)

Losing that late goal against Benfica felt like a defeat to me. I've been in a cunt of a mood the last couple of days due to it.

Maybe that's wrong in some folks eyes or I sound like a spoilt, entitled fud - it's nothing like that.

I'm still proud of the performance over there & I'm not blaming the team (even Helander and Arfield)

I've not said anything bad about them off the back of it - I've reassured myself that the feeling will pass, that it's ok to be gutted but ultimately that feeling, well it's a sign of how far we've come when a draw away to Benfica that puts us top of our European group halfway through it, makes you feel gutted. 

But what I'm getting round to saying is - I sat at the Airport the next day with my pal, boozing, and couldn't really shake it. My mate was telling me to look at the bigger picture etc (which I agreed with) but I said to him that I can handle feeling like this, provided the team don't. 

I'll soak up these feelings, but the team needs to be positive, put that late set-back behind them and not let it effect them and carry that disappointment into Sunday.

The last thing I wanted was that late sucker punch undermining all the good work we've done so far this season. Maybe that sounds drastic, but I do think football is as much a mentality/confidence game as it is skill and it's full of fine lines that can determine your next game.

I genuinely didn't see todays 8-0 coming. I actually thought it would be a hard-fought 1/2-0 maybe even 2-1 or something if the defence's confidence went a little.

But none of that happened. That's why I legitimately believe that even though it was only a rout at home to Hamilton, it was a bigger result that some might think.

We went out, put Thursday night to the side, played the same style & system, with the same confidence and kept our usual clean sheet - with player changes in and out, keeping things nice and fresh.

A team who's bottle and mentality had (rightly) been in doubt these last couple of years, the team before this wouldn't have went out and turned that sort of performance in like it was nothing to them.

I know some folk are gonna say "cool story bro" or I'm being dramatic. Maybe I am being dramatic, but this season means so much. I'm possibly even looking for issues that don't actually exist on my part too. But that's the way my mentality is when every game feels like a cup final.

We're 1/3 of the way through the season and things are going better than we could all have hoped. We will fuck up somewhere along the line, but I honestly hope we don't get carried away with the negatives of it and just refocus again, like today & continue the good work.

Worthy reading essay though. 

I think there are a fair few of us who agree with most of what you have said here. 

Positive thoughts. It's definitely a different feel compared to previous seasons. The team keep growing with confidence and we are brimming with choice of quality within our squad. That's the difference this time. 

Strength & depth we have all over the park compared recent seasons is huge. 2 years ago we played Aberdeen in the league cup semi & due to Morelos being suspended we played umar sadiq, we could lose 3 strikers now & still be stronger than 2 years ago

5 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

But what I'm getting round to saying is - I sat at the Airport the next day with my pal, boozing, and couldn't really shake it. My mate was telling me to look at the bigger picture etc (which I agreed with) but I said to him that I can handle feeling like this, provided the team don't. 

As you’ve said - the important thing is that the team don’t dwell on things like Thursday. Every right to disappointed but the main and ultimate focus this season is domestic success and I’m quite sure every single player in that squad is well aware of it.

For me personally, I’m enjoying the football and results we’ve had this season. I am not surprised that we are top of the league, that we qualified for Europe or that we are sitting pretty after 3 games.

However, we are only league 14 games in to this season. I will be more comfortable if we are 9 clear after the next 14. Focus is absolutely key. Focus & determination.

I know it was only Hamilton, but that is one of the best all round performances I've seen in years. That score could easily have been double figures. 

Apart from the lapse at the end versus Benfica, the passing/one touch football was just a continuation of that. We are playing some great stuff right now, and rather having to fit a system round players, we have players that can fit into a steady, effective system whenever they are called upon. 

Archived