Goldson

GOAT

21 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Think King has a fair bit to go physically to be considered for first team, it’ll come in time I’m sure but most CHs these days are build like sheizenhouses. 

At his age he can get a growth spurt anytime soon .Overloading with experienced central defenders could well hinder his progress .

Do we know how Katic is doing these days?

I know there are some on here who really dislike him but I’d rather at least give him a chance to see how he’s developed. Still relatively young for a CB.

Souttar, Katic, Balogun, King plus two others needed. Lundstram and Bassey there too depending on availability and formation.

Helander and Goldson away, one hardly missed a match, the other hardly played in one.

3 hours ago, magic8ball said:

Replacing him won’t be as easy as it sounds .Centre backs ain’t the way they used to be .Look at Harry McGuire as a perfect example .80m and a huge wage .

I wouldn’t be using Man Utd as an example, they’re a fucking basket case who spent over £20million on Diallo. 

There’s plenty of good CBs in their mid 20s we could pick up from sides competing in the Europa, who aren’t going to cost a big transfer fee. Balogun we got from Wigan and he’s only on about £12k p/w.

Goldson gets double that currently and wants to near enough double his wages again…

15 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

I wouldn’t be using Man Utd as an example, they’re a fucking basket case who spent over £20million on Diallo. 

There’s plenty of good CBs in their mid 20s we could pick up from sides competing in the Europa, who aren’t going to cost a big transfer fee. Balogun we got from Wigan and he’s only on about £12k p/w.

Goldson gets double that currently and wants to near enough double his wages again…

I think you just made those numbers up.

17 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Goldson is at a different level to any of our other CBs. 

Just now, Roy Hobbs said:

I think you just made those numbers up.

What numbers? 

There’s numerous reports Goldsons on circa £23k p/w as he’s still on his original deal. Balogun again you can find in several places online that it’s expected he’s on £12-14k p/w. 

Goldson wants to be our biggest earner (allegedly) which means his salary demands will be comfortably over the £35k p/w we pay other players.

Love the big man, but he’s not worth over £2million a year in wages for 3-4 years in his 30s. 

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Doekhi fills me with the fear to be honest.

Looks like he loves diving into tackles, and based on absolutely nothing other than a hunch, I think he will drop far more clangers than Goldson.

IF we could somehow keep Goldson, it should be our top priority.

He looks like a really raw Bougherra. But, he’ll be free in summer, captains a side and has good domestic and European experience (plus the Dutch connection via Gio). 

He would be a no-brainer for me and I doubt he’ll ask for higher wages than Goldson currently gets, if anything slightly lower. Plus he’ll have sell-on value, something Goldson doesn’t have unfortunately. 

We’re going to need a younger squad who are more valuable in future, this seems like a good starting place which costs us effectively nothing. 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Goldson wants to stay and Rangers haven't offered him a deal worth what he wants. 

Is there anything about the current circumstances that mean the above isn't true? 

I guess you are the one that is suggesting they have insider knowledge. 

You haven’t said there isn’t a deal, only one Godson doesn’t want, so I put it back to him, not Rangers. 

4 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Read something the other day saying Katic has really found his feet and done well after a shaky start. I think Gerrard held Katic back tbh. Not saying he should be number one pick but still could be good backup. He's probably the most dominant defender we have in the air.

Good to read that, I really like Katic and would love see him back next season as part of the group of players.

That will not be a popular opinion I would imagine. 😁

7 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I agree man. He's a no nonsense defender. He needs to find consistency but when he plays well he's brilliant. Like I said, dominant in the air which we really need for both boxes. He also bulked up like fuck which we never really got to see how it helped his game due to injury but I'd welcome him back. Good age as well.

Yes it is a come back, stay and play Nico, from me. :thumbup:

26 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Read something the other day saying Katic has really found his feet and done well after a shaky start. I think Gerrard held Katic back tbh. Not saying he should be number one pick but still could be good backup. He's probably the most dominant defender we have in the air.

A stable run in the team without goldson near him (who was prone to errors as well) and bassey at left back and katic will be more than fine for us domestically, europe is another matter though but we dont hsve a clue till he gets a run there

57 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

You haven’t said there isn’t a deal, only one Godson doesn’t want, so I put it back to him, not Rangers. 

the options are simple....sign a new contract for £££ and compete for leagues/cups and in Europe or go elsewhere and earn £££x2 but spend your time fighting to survive or gain promotion....

seems a no brainer to me as he's no doubt already made for life but footballers are a curious breed.

And before anyone says 'i bet you'd move if someone offered you double your current salary', id obviously consider it but I don't earn £24k a week or whatever vast sum of money (to the average Joe) Goldson is likely to be on. I don't think your lifestyle changes hellish much if you go from earning £24k a week to £48k (maybe own three  ferrari's instead of two?)...its an entirely different proposition if someone offers to double,  lets say,  your £500 a week salary.

bottom line, get it fucking signed or get tae fuck :)

3 hours ago, theiconicman said:

And how, in this scenario, does that suggest Goldson doesn't want to be here? 

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

A stable run in the team without goldson near him (who was prone to errors as well) and bassey at left back and katic will be more than fine for us domestically, europe is another matter though but we dont hsve a clue till he gets a run there

Katic was a bombscare. Amazing what six months where no cunt cares can do for someone's career. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

By being regularly involved in the first team despite how 'raw' he was and given huge allowances to undergo his rehab away from the club? 

By being thrown under a bus, dropped for worrall after him and goldson conceded something like ten goals in all comps until the villareal away game where worrall was thrown in

Then the following season being once again thrown under a bus (him and edmundson) while goldson got away with numerous bombscares

You've had this debate on here before im sure

8 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I’d take anything we can get for Helander tbh, hardly ever fit and looked miles off it when he came back(before he got injured again) 

My lad told me today that Bassey is within 2 appearances of Helander now.

Sums it up.

34 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

By being thrown under a bus, dropped for worrall after him and goldson conceded something like ten goals in all comps until the villareal away game where worrall was thrown in

Then the following season being once again thrown under a bus (him and edmundson) while goldson got away with numerous bombscares

You've had this debate on here before im sure

Goldson was the senior centre-back out of the four we had at the club. Of course he was going to stick with him while bringing the likes of Worrall into the side. We were never likely to go with a consistent CB pairing of Worrall/Katic.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Goldson was the senior centre-back out of the four we had at the club. Of course he was going to stick with him while bringing the likes of Worrall into the side. We were never likely to go with a consistent CB pairing of Worrall/Katic.

No but he chose someone elses player over our own who uo until that point hadnt put a foot wrong anf was forming a good partnership with goldson 

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No but he chose someone elses player over our own who uo until that point hadnt put a foot wrong anf was forming a good partnership with goldson 

Worrall WAS our player that season.  No different to folk wanting Aaron Ramsey to start games ahead of someone like Alex Lowry just now.