Who’s The Better Player?

BlueSuedeSambas

Who’s The Better Player Right Now?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is The Better Player Right Now?

I've spoke about this in the Patterson thread and whilst circumstances are in favour of Tav for now I would rather see Patterson getting more game time with a view to him taking over at right back for next season 

Tav for 250k has been a great bit of business for us but let's not be kidded he was signed for us when we were in the championship to do a job....in fairness to Tav he has probably worked hard to remain  part of the journey to eventual league winning captain.....others from that era weren't good enough so all credit goes to Tav

The downside for me is at Tavs age we are never going to get any amount of decent money for him, whilst rumours were about at times I don't believe we ever had to knock a bid back for Tav?

Patterson had received great reports prior to his step up to the first team squad but at 20 he needs to be playing far more first team football for his own sake, he either makes his way at Rangers in the coming months or the lad him self will most likely want to move on

The bid is the key here.....if we end up accepting something between 8-10 million then it really is a waste of time, it could be 12-15 million with add ons may be too great to knock back but I have no doubt if Patterson were to play for the next two full seasons then we would be looking at an offer north of the 25 million for his signature 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Because it's a delicate situation. Tav is captain, liked and respected by his teammates. Dropping him would mean Goldson would take over and he is four days away from possibly signing elsewhere. That's not ideal.

Like I have always said, Tav is a good player and I never have an issue with him playing. But the question/poll is who you think is better?

Tav has been at Rangers for 6 1/2 years and I can never remember any bids for him. The phone will be ringing non-stop in a few days for Kamara & Aribo.

Statistics say Tavernier is by far and away the better player. 

To argue otherwise is nonsensical. 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

The player who sits on the bench is worth more in the open market than the player who starts every game. Why is that?

I guess the Everton scouts (and others) must need their heads examined.

A 20 yr old capped six times already for his country and MOTM in two of them. Yet people need their heads examined for thinking he is better.

Alan Hutton is a perfect example. He was playing for Rangers at Patterson's age and went on to play nine years in the EPL. Patterson will one day follow suit. Probably soon. Tavernier will never play in the EPL.

Age.

Another angle to look at it for posters who think Tav is miles in front.....when was it Tav had a slight operation and it was rumoured he was going to miss a few games...their was a thread in here which was full of concern about who would fill in....would we manage without him....were the rumours true etc etc?

In truth if we heard tomorrow that Tav needed an operation and would be missing possibly the next 4 games, how many would genuinely be up in arms knowing that Patterson would come in as his natural replacement?

There is no doubting Tavs statistics are very good and on the other hand his defensive work can be questionable. People comparing his stats to Patterson is a non starter as 1 plays every week whilst the other sits on the bench and can't get a run of games. 

I have no doubt whatsoever that Patterson could post similar stats to Tav if he was given the chance to play regularly as he has shown with Scotland. We stand to lose money if we accept a bid in January as he will be worth double if he was played. 

9 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Tav ofcourse is but Pattersons potential is far greater than Tavs current ability.

We'll never know mate, will be at Everton warming their bench for an undisclosed £3 - 5million shortly. 

Not quite the £15 million he was built up as by some 

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

We'll never know mate, will be at Everton warming their bench for an undisclosed £3 - 5million shortly. 

Don't think it will be a straight up fee. It will be loaded up in add ons. Don't see much sense in the boy warming our bench every week of theres money to be had.

23 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

3-5m :lol: