These likely incoming bids...

MVRanger

6 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Correct - they can afford to slap extortionate fees on players because they don’t need the cash. 

we need to project that ethos when dealing with bids.  We need to grow a pair and get our poker faces on. 

Would be nice to play 3 card brag with the CL money from our 56th title.
Would definitely strengthen our bargaining position. 

16 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

This is a big problem for us, banking on using CL money when it's not a given. We can't just keep players because we may play in the CL next season then end up with players who have 12 months on their contract.

We are closing in on 10 years now and have tried to model ourselves as a selling club yet whe have sold literally not one fucking player for a profit in this time

Can't keep gambling and keeping players in the hope we make the CL group stages 

Tbf Rab, we sold Polster who we signed on a free for about 300k, sold Windass for 2.5m (who we got for a development fee) Declan John a few years ago was a freebie and we got about 800k for him, and Waghorn we got for next to nothing and got almost 1m for. Absolutely not good enough as a club who needs to sign cheap/free, develop and sell for a profit, but we have definitely made a profit on a few. just need to know when to cash in. 

42 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Tbf Rab, we sold Polster who we signed on a free for about 300k, sold Windass for 2.5m (who we got for a development fee) Declan John a few years ago was a freebie and we got about 800k for him, and Waghorn we got for next to nothing and got almost 1m for. Absolutely not good enough as a club who needs to sign cheap/free, develop and sell for a profit, but we have definitely made a profit on a few. just need to know when to cash in. 

How big a profit are we talking once we offset the sheer amount of money wasted on duds tho?? I for every windlass their are players like barker, grezda etc. Hopefully that changes soon as we can't go back to relying on CL monies to survive anymore. 

14 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

If you think we can get rid of the spine of our team and replace it over one window you are bonkers. 

i understand we have to ensure we balance the books but shipping all of our best players in one window is mental 

This coming summer will be our biggest rebuild since Gerrard’s first season. So many out of contract, and those real assets going into their last year. 

16 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

celtic got 7 million for a 26 year old Stuart Armstrong in 2018. We should be getting more than that for Aribo but I genuinely think 8-10 million would see him away.

IMO:
Aribo: 13m

Kamara: 12m

Kent: 15m

Morelos: 15m

Patterson: 14m

Hagi: 12-14m

Fringe players:

Itten: 1.5m

Katic: 1m

Lundstrum: 1m

£85 million, ridiculous profit ratio, pretty realistic. Pay off the club debts, reinvest half of that on the squad (whereby realistically only 4 crucial first teamers would be going, allowing up to 40m for replacements) and we would still have 8 figures in change.

I don't want to see any of them go really but with contracts and players career aspirations to consider, and to freshen the squad and prevent it becoming stale again like the latter end of SG reign, I wouldn't be disappointed if we made somewhere near those figures.

1 minute ago, stevemac said:

IMO:

Fringe players:

£85 million, ridiculous profit ratio, pretty realistic. Pay off the club debts, reinvest half of that on the squad (whereby realistically only 4 crucial first teamers would be going, allowing up to 40m for replacements) and we would still have 8 figures in change.

I don't want to see any of them go really but with contracts and players career aspirations to consider, and to freshen the squad and prevent it becoming stale again like the latter end of SG reign, I wouldn't be disappointed if we made somewhere near those figures.

:lol:

I think we need to think in two phases. Pre Gerrard our recruitment was terrible. We bought very little of value. And sold nobody for anything of note.

Post Gerrard we have signed some decent players but yet to recoup significant fees. That was a calculated decision. Keep our best players to win 55. Many of us would have been prepared to let as many as 3-4 go after 55 to achieve that. It was win at all costs.

The club have taken another gamble to keep the squad together during the Summer.

Let’s run the numbers: CL group stages are worth approximately £20mio. (Ignoring the value supporters place on winning the league, secondary effects such as increases squad value, brand etc)

Bookies have us at 66% to win the title. So in expectation the club has 2/3*20=13.3million.

If we sell Aribo and Kamara now for a combined 15million. What happens to the odds of us winning the title. They probably go down to below 40% if we don’t replace them. So we lose 26% of 20 mio. So a loss of 5mio in expectation.

So the breakeven point to keeping hold of Kamara and Aribo is whether you think we could sell them for 10mio or more in the Summer as opposed to 15mio selling now.

That’s assuming the club can remain solvent and doesn’t need to sell now.

So as per the above. The optimal scenario for profit maximisation is the club keeps hold of our best players. Then takes stock in Summer.

The problem with that gamble is the difference in outcomes becomes wider. If we win the league we are laughing. If we don’t we might need to sell Kamara, Kent and Aribo which would have a serious knock on effect. 

8 minutes ago, stevemac said:

IMO:

Fringe players:

Who is going to pay 14million for Hagi. Who has 1 goals and 0 assists in 14 matches in the SPL. Ignoring the fact he can’t run

7 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

:lol:

tbf I was initially going to put 500k, but surely to fuck some championship team will take him at that, we managed 800k for edmondson and shy of a mill for Garner and similar for waghorn to championship teams so :pipe:

3 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Who is going to pay 14million for Hagi. Who has 1 goals and 0 assists in 14 matches in the SPL. Ignoring the fact he can’t run

Galatasary fancy him. I know he fucked it previously there but the italian league would suit him to a tee. 

7 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

I think we need to think in two phases. Pre Gerrard our recruitment was terrible. We bought very little of value. And sold nobody for anything of note.

Post Gerrard we have signed some decent players but yet to recoup significant fees. That was a calculated decision. Keep our best players to win 55. Many of us would have been prepared to let as many as 3-4 go after 55 to achieve that. It was win at all costs.

The club have taken another gamble to keep the squad together during the Summer.

Let’s run the numbers: CL group stages are worth approximately £20mio. (Ignoring the value supporters place on winning the league, secondary effects such as increases squad value, brand etc)

Bookies have us at 66% to win the title. So in expectation the club has 2/3*20=13.3million.

If we sell Aribo and Kamara now for a combined 15million. What happens to the odds of us winning the title. They probably go down to below 40% if we don’t replace them. So we lose 26% of 20 mio. So a loss of 5mio in expectation.

So the breakeven point to keeping hold of Kamara and Aribo is whether you think we could sell them for 10mio or more in the Summer as opposed to 15mio selling now.

That’s assuming the club can remain solvent and doesn’t need to sell now.

So as per the above. The optimal scenario for profit maximisation is the club keeps hold of our best players. Then takes stock in Summer.

The problem with that gamble is the difference in outcomes becomes wider. If we win the league we are laughing. If we don’t we might need to sell Kamara, Kent and Aribo which would have a serious knock on effect. 

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Would be wanting £12m+ for Aribo at the moment but wouldn’t want to sell him.

I’d happily sell Hagi for £7m along with getting some fringe players out. 

If we get anything above £10m for Aribo I'll be very surprised. We will have to sell him either in January or the summer regardless.

We would be more than doubling our investment if we sold Hagi for that much. If we got £5m then he'd be off.