Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

1 minute ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

He’s done the square root of fuck all in football. Couldn’t get a tune out of Mitrovic who has scored 49 goals in 50 league games since Fulham sacked Parker. Just been sacked for losing 9-0 and starting a verbal war with his board. Get that idea straight in the bin. 

Done very well in the Championship and is a good leader of men who tries to play the right way.

We are not going to have our pick of top end EPL level managers.

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

Scott Parker :lol: 

Jesus Christ 

Promoted twice at clubs who don't make much of an attempt to stay there by spending much (I don't think) when they get there.

I want Gio to make this work so much of this is moot, but who would your contenders be?

26 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Promoted twice at clubs who don't make much of an attempt to stay there by spending much (I don't think) when they get there.

I want Gio to make this work so much of this is moot, but who would your contenders be?

I'd go after kjetil knutsen

Done great work at bodo. He's won 2 league titiles on a limited budget, plays attacking football and willing to use youngsters. 

He also got them to the QF of the Europa conference league last season. 

6 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Done great work at bodo. He's won 2 league titiles on a limited budget, plays attacking football and willing to use youngsters. 

Good shout 

but Gio’s staying 

3 hours ago, Blues Brother said:

This could all be shite, but I’ve heard there was a board meeting this morning…

Apparently there was a big fallout with Tavernier at half time on Wednesday.. what I’ve heard is either the manager goes or it’s the captain leaving. 

I reckon Gio is done here. 

Honestly mate, don’t believe everything you read. 

3 hours ago, Blues Brother said:

Apparently there was a big fallout with Tavernier at half time on Wednesday.. what I’ve heard is either the manager goes or it’s the captain leaving. 

Probably came from the same person that said Tav had Alfredo by the throat against the wall after the Hibs game 😀

3 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

Tav has been taken a huge amount of injections to get him through games over the last few weeks and eventually ran himself into the ground on Wednesday

Why? Surely to fuck when it comes the point you need painkilling injections pre match you dont play, and given how poor he's been recently i doubt playing someone else there would have made it worse

4 hours ago, Blues Brother said:

Sounds like the sorr of thing that a shit stirring taig would start on social media. 

Personally, I wouldn't regurgitate  stuff like that without evidence.

Our support are stressed up enough. 

21 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Top three choices would be Rebrov, Knutsen or Stankovic.

I get Stankovic after Red Star looked good against us (although ridiculous to base it just on that), but why Rebrov?

1 hour ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Wouldn't be against Knutsen either.

Just now, 2nd Flute said:

Why do you think it's shite mate? I can imagine there will be unrest amongst the players, look at the way we play, that must be absolutely demoralising for a footballer?

1/ No source.

2/ Tav has worked under worse managers with us and in darker days and never said he'd quit

4/ Tav has years left in his contract,so can't walk away any time soon. 

3/ The poster might just want Gio sacked.

4/ Tav is injured and easily replaced as is any player. 

5/ Reeks of someone on Twitter making shite up and snowballing into a 'fact'.

6/ The poster said "It might be shit". 

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I get Stankovic after Red Star looked good against us (although ridiculous to base it just on that), but why Rebrov?

This post sums it up better than I could:

On 08/11/2021 at 16:10, SIRB_72 said:

Seen some decent names mentioned and some not so decent names mentioned.

One I haven't seen is Serhiy Rebrov. He has a fantastic track record with Dynamo Kiev and Ferencvaros domestically and in Europe. 

With Dynamo, before last season, he was the only manager to win them any titles (two in a row) since 2009. In the league his win rate was 82% with both seasons combined and lost 1 game in 52. In his first full season he also took Dynamo to the QF of the Europa League and were level on aggregate before a sending off away to Fiorentina. In his second season he took Dynamo to the L16 in the CL getting knocked out by Man City. 

All this in a league that is arguably stronger than our own, in effectively a two horse and smashed the competition by winning consitently along with doing extremely well in Europe. From what I can tell it was with what he was given as well.

We've all seen what he's done with Ferencvaros. In his three seasons there he won the league by 13 points, 13 points again and then 20 points. Similar to his time at Dynamo, Ferencvaros had won one league title in 15 years before his arrival.

in Europe he was extremely impressive, like Gerrard. In his first season they were out of Europe before he joined, in his second they missed on the CL after losing to Dinamo Zagreb but got Ferencvaros to their first European group stage in 15 years. In his third and final season we know what he did do to a certain team but more importantly got Ferencvaros to the CL group stages for the first time in their history.

In between Dynamo and Ferencvaros he took a spell in Saudi Arabia, presumably for the pay day, and has now taken a job in the UAE, no doubt for the same reasons. However, his pedigree domestically and in Europe is too good to ignore. I also suspect due to his 4/5 years in England he has a decent grasp of the language along with how British football works.

28 minutes ago, 2nd Flute said:

I would have loved Gio to have been successful, it isn't happening, he plays ultra defensive football, and we are still shipping goals all over the place, while creating absolutely nothing up front, enough. 

That's the thing, I could accept keeping the zero if we actually fucking did it. I'd be delighted with 38 boring 1-0 wins but we're fucking dire at the back and it's mostly down to Gio's decisions. Zonal marking, playing out from the back even when under pressure and not signing a goalkeeper during the summer are all his decisions. 

Just now, Jamie0202 said:

That's the thing, I could accept keeping the zero if we actually fucking did it. I'd be delighted with 38 boring 1-0 wins but we're fucking dire at the back and it's mostly down to Gio's decisions. Zonal marking, playing out from the back even when under pressure and not signing a goalkeeper during the summer are all his decisions. 

Couldn't agree more, if we were going gung ho and losing goals you could maybe accept it, we are playing absolute garbage football, creating nothing, yet shipping goals for fun!!!

16 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

1/ No source.

2/ Tav has worked under worse managers with us and in darker days and never said he'd quit

4/ Tav has years left in his contract,so can't walk away any time soon. 

3/ The poster might just want Gio sacked.

4/ Tav is injured and easily replaced as is any player. 

5/ Reeks of someone on Twitter making shite up and snowballing into a 'fact'.

6/ The poster said "It might be shit". 

1 2 4 3 4 5 6........

:confused9: