Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

I remember getting on the bus at Pittodrie after Maddison scored that free kick in the last minute. We had played ok that day. I remember arguing on the bus and asking people do you think we will ever win a league with Warburton? A lot were still supporting him at the time. But you just knew he never had what it took. 

I’m at the stage now where I ask will we ever win a league with GVB?

1 minute ago, BigBearButt said:

The thing is, I'm sure his pragmatic style works well in a league like the Eredivisie where there's several bigger teams who take points off each other (Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, AZ and even the likes of Twente, Heerenveen, Utrecht and Groningen) but when you're in a league with two teams who compete for the title and are miles above the rest, then it's completely unnecessary.

5 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

“He was our coach for four years, in those four years I only remember that he played a different system once.

“That was in the Champions League when we were facing Manchester City that he decided to play five defenders instead of four but it didn’t help because we lost 4-0.

When we talk about van Bronckhorst we always say ‘The Horseshoe’ because what he always did, that irritated fans so badly, was the left-back played it to the centre back, the centre back played it to the other centre back and the centre back played it to the right back and then the other way around so it was quite predictable.

“Teams figured out if you basically stopped our midfielders from being part of the game, Feyenoord doesn’t know what to do. 

😔

if were out of it by january id pay him off. get a coach in early for next year.  

Kamara

kent

jack

alfie

Goldson 

these players have been really good for us are all of a sudden shite.  its hard to stcik up for Gio atm. 

29 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

So because the rot was there before we are to just stick with a manager who can't hack Scottish football?

Who gives a fuck about Europe when we are being scudded by them and letting our record title haul slip away? 

Our lifeblood is the league which in turn gives us a cash windfall of a near 30 million but we don't have a hope in hell of getting it the easy way already.

Fuck accepting second best in Scotland because we can go far in Europe. Utter Diddy club mentality 

I didnt say stick with the manager. It's just a bigger problem than gio. I dont think a new manager sorts every issue with mentality and work rate in this team. Thats before you get into the boards behaviour 

28 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

Read this then tell me you think he will change

https://www.rangersreview.co.uk/news/19722666.giovanni-van-bronckhorst-Rangers-feyenoord-fan-perspective/

Edit: or if you cant be arsed clicking the link:

“That was in the Champions League when we were facing Manchester City that he decided to play five defenders instead of four but it didn’t help because we lost 4-0.

“I don’t recall any other games that he was playing a different system. He really likes to play a 4-3-3.

“When we talk about van Bronckhorst we always say ‘The Horseshoe’ because what he always did, that irritated fans so badly, was the left-back played it to the centre back, the centre back played it to the other centre back and the centre back played it to the right back and then the other way around so it was quite predictable.

“Teams figured out if you basically stopped our midfielders from being part of the game, Feyenoord doesn’t know what to do. Even though we had better teams from 2017 onwards, we didn’t become champions anymore, we didn’t play a role in the championship whatsoever. We won the cup in 2018 but the best season was the 2016-17 season when we became champions.

“We sold a couple of guys and the guys we got in weren’t that good so the money we spent was not well spent. They basically stopped developing and got worse so he never replicated that fantastic magic season in 2017.”

Tragically this is beginning to look like a depressing premonition. Seems like we were warned.

10 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

I didnt say stick with the manager. It's just a bigger problem than gio. I dont think a new manager sorts every issue with mentality and work rate in this team. Thats before you get into the boards behaviour 

Gio has sucked the life outta that team. another manager could give it new life. seriously its not working. he won't change. 

its 4-3-3 negative pish and its here to stay.  

3 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Would be interesting, at least, but another manager that's brutal with defences. 

To be fair, the defence doesn't need to be that good if you're scoring 4/5 goals a game.

39 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

He really should have learnt that by now.

It literally took Postecoglu a couple of months (if that) to work out how to play teams in the SPFL, and yet here we are 10 months later with Gio still making the same fatal errors.

Even back then very early on he still managed to beat Dundee and St Mirren 6-0 so you could tell what he was capable of.

They were probably the better team in the first half when we last beat them in the league.

9 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

Gio has sucked the life outta that team. another manager could give it new life. seriously its not working. he won't change. 

its 4-3-3 negative pish and its here to stay.  

Why do we play so well in Europe v in Scotland? Is it sucking the life out of things or are the players better at being the underdogs in Europe?...

35 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I think give Gio the season, and get someone new in to rip this team up and start again in the summer. 

I'm coming round to this idea as well, unless he performs a miracle. 

Hopefully from this point we get Europe after Christmas and the 2 cups. 

How pathetic is it to be even thinking like that already? 

Think we all know deep down due to experience that this project is sadly going one way,like you know your old dug has two weeks to go and you keep thinking it will get a new lease of life.Im no longer angry just sad that it cant work out this way.

Miss Walter so much no matter how shite we played or how bad the club was you just knew he had a magic wand to get something out of it.

11 months on and you just feel a big piece of the club missing

4 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I'm coming round to this idea as well, unless he performs a miracle. 

Hopefully from this point we get Europe after Christmas and the 2 cups. 

How pathetic is it to be even thinking like that already? 

i dont think he should get that long - he gets till the next old firm game imo (especially if we are as I expect to be even further behind them) and if we lose that then thanks but we move on. This is the issue i have with employing ex players as managers its always harder for people to separate the player from the coach and hold on for too long just out of blind respect for what they did previously. End of the day the league is our bread and butter and unless things change quickly he is not up to the task

6 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

i dont think he should get that long - he gets till the next old firm game imo (especially if we are as I expect to be even further behind them) and if we lose that then thanks but we move on. This is the issue i have with employing ex players as managers its always harder for people to separate the player from the coach and hold on for too long just out of blind respect for what they did previously. End of the day the league is our bread and butter and unless things change quickly he is not up to the task

if its gone by jan, pay him off and bring a manager in who like to to attack and isnt balless.  I cant see things changing, he g=has sucked the life outta that team. 

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

He is here until the end of the season at the very earliest unless there is a complete collapse domestically and in europe ie sitting 4th in the table and 0 out of 6 games in the CL.

Strap yourselves in lads.

I think with the World Cup being in November/December you’ll see teams make changes at the time. Effectively gives a new manager 6 weeks to work with players. 

If it was to get that bad as it possibly could then this would be the time to change.

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

He is here until the end of the season at the very earliest unless there is a complete collapse domestically and in europe ie sitting 4th in the table and 0 out of 6 games in the CL.

Strap yourselves in lads.

Believe the board will wait till the end of the season no matter what

Honestly don't think Gio will, he's too nice a person (part of the problem) to stay in the job when the fans fully turn against him

Personally think he'll walk when the group stages are done & the World Cup comes around 

His job’s safe no matter what happens in the CL, between getting to Seville and then this season’s groups I reckon he’s bulletproof for the rest of this season even if we finish bottom of our group and a distant second in the League. 

If the tarriers keep hoovering up the domestic trophies after that  and it becomes clear he doesn’t have the capability to stop them, then questions might be asked.

Just now, harlands plater said:

His job’s safe no matter what happens in the CL, between getting to Seville and then this season’s groups I reckon he’s bulletproof for the rest of this season even if we finish bottom of our group and a distant second in the League. 

If the tarriers keep hoovering up the domestic trophies after that  and it becomes clear he doesn’t have the capability to stop them, then questions might be asked.

He finishes second and they run riot he's getting chased out the door. Our support won't stand it and ibrox will be toxic.

He either turns it around this season or he's getting the boot