World Cup - Qatar 2022

G.E.C.

4 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Can’t believe that we’re down to six teams and the following are not amongst the six:

Italy

Belgium

Brazil

Germany

Spain

Holland

If Ingerlund were ever looking for an opportunity to win it, they will never have a better scenario.

Also, Columbia, Sweden, Croatia was the easiest knockout route England could hope for and much better than this scenario of France then Portugal. 

8 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Anyone who thinks Messi is not the greatest player to ever grace the football pitch is a simpleton.

The end.

Then I am Simple Simon. 

Amazing player, but some of us are lucky enough to have seen Maradona in his prime. I started following the game in 1982, and have seen Platini, Zico, Zidane, Matthaus, Socrates, the real Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Baggio, Ronaldinho, as well as Messi and the more recent greats. My Dad is old enough to have seen Best, Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, Pele, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Beckenbauer. 

Messi is a genius, but to say he is way above Maradona and some of the names above. is just simplistic to say the least. 

Maradona remains the greatest I have ever seen, with Messi, Zidane and Ronaldinho just behind. 

2 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Then I am Simple Simon. 

Amazing player, but some of us are lucky enough to have seen Maradona in his prime. I started following the game in 1982, and have seen Platini, Zico, Zidane, Matthaus, Socrates, the real Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Baggio, Ronaldinho, as well as Messi and the more recent greats. My Dad is old enough to have seen Best, Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, Pele, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Beckenbauer. 

Messi is a genius, but to say he is way above Maradona and some of the names above. is just simplistic to say the least. 

Maradona remains the greatest I have ever seen, with Messi, Zidane and Ronaldinho just behind. 

Peak Brazilian Ronaldo was ahead of Ronaldinho and Zidane for me. I loved all 3 but Ronaldo was literally the complete striker 

6 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I've never understood why the best penalty-taker in the team is scheduled to take the 5th penalty in a shoot-out when there is a distinct possibility he may never take one. In this case - Neymar.

It's terrible management but it happens often.

Ego.

Want the glory moment.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Can’t wait until France silence the English pundits.

I like watching England but have to do it with sound down,but I still think it would be worse if the jacobites were in this position as seen when they beat the likes of Israel and we declare a national holiday.

9 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

That Germany Italy semi final is probably my favourite World Cup game.

Still can't quite believe the balls on Cannavaro doing his mad Beckenbauer-esque charge up field to set up the Del Piero goal. They had just scored a 119th minute winner and he decides he wants more :lol:

5 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Then I am Simple Simon. 

I think it's interesting how many of Maradona's teammates and opponents say Messi has surpassed him though, even if I don't necessarily agree. People like Souness and Lineker have a product to sell obviously, so take what they say with a pinch of salt, but guys like Valdano and Simeone watched Maradona day in, day out, up close, and favour Messi.

Maradona had charisma and leadership qualities that Messi hasn't always had, but Messi has discipline and consistency that Maradona didn't always have, and has been near Maradona's level for far longer than Maradona was.

5 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Then I am Simple Simon. 

All great players but Messi has achieved more than any of them ever had and played at a higher level for a longer period of time than the lot of them. Hes won more as well and the only reason he wont have a world cup is because Argentina have never had good enough players around him.

Everything you have seen Maradona do this wee guy has done it dozens of times more in major tournaments against the best defenders on the planet.

His level of consistency is one of the main reasons hes the greatest player theres ever been. Most people in the game know hes the greatest.