Welcome Back to Rangers, Michael Beale!

7 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Did you miss this part of my post?

'would imagine he'd take a wage cut and be happy with a reduced role.'

He's not someone I would put in the bracket of mentally weak anyway, technically limited and lost a yard maybe, but not mentally weak

I’m not against it if he’d accept peanuts. Fits the domestic quota. Still can do a different job in the last 10 minutes than anyone else we have. With those nicely timed late runs when opposition are tired. 

But there’s a lot of cherry picking around squad mentality. Can’t have it both ways. Arfield has been at the heart of some of our worst performances in pressure matches in midfield and been here for this underperforming period. But he’s a lot less important to us than a Goldson. So for those who claim loser mentality is such an ingrained problem, just thought they’d want him, Davis etc gone. 

We are a far more rounded team when Jack plays. That has been proven through time. When I said long-term contract, I meant more than a one-year deal. Probably a two-year contract.

As for Arfield, I see him as a leader and mentor around the team. I would have no issue with one more year. 

Just now, OrangeRab said:

I’m not against it if he’d accept peanuts. Fits the domestic quota. Still can do a different job in the last 10 minutes than anyone else we have. With those nicely timed late runs when opposition are tired. 

But there’s a lot of cherry picking around squad mentality. Can’t have it both ways. Arfield has been at the heart of some of our worst performances in midfield and been here for this underperforming period. But he’s a lot less important to us than a Goldson. So for those who claim loser mentality is such a problem, just thought they’d want him, Davis etc gone. 

From watching him play for the last 5 years I wouldn't say I've ever seen him chuck it in the way many have and he's one of the few who strike me as a good influence on the club

Not disputing he's been apart of some horror shows, as I said he isn't the best technically and has lost a yard or two and he was quite a dynamic player

1 hour ago, johanhentze said:

The thing about FFP is that spending money on things like NEH doesnt count. You cant just spend all your money on fees and wages as there is a limit on how much you can spend. However, I believe something like NEH raises our revenue which in turn means we can spend more on players/wages. I might be wrong.

The money that we spent though on EH etc was from competition prizes. I.e reaching the Europa League final.

We could've have used it for player wages and financing new players, we chose not to.

27 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think Arfield has been a really good servant for us but he’s 34 years old and has played 283 minutes since Beale came in.  It’s time for him to move on. 

In those minutes he's scored the same amount as Kent and Cantwell combined

Don't get me wrong I'm not absolutely desperate for him to stay, just think for what he would cost/accept it would be worth it

18 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

The money that we spent though on EH etc was from competition prizes. I.e reaching the Europa League final.

We could've have used it for player wages and financing new players, we chose not to.

Not as simple as that.

45 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Yet another crazy decision 

1 hour ago, Loyal72 said:

Yes, but you still have to grow your business/revenue in order to be able to spend more money on wages. We were at the limit and couldnt spend the cash on fees/wages as we were already maxed out - we were on the FFP watchlist. NEH provides another income steam (grows the business) and therefore lets us spend more on the footballing side.

A lot being made over Beale's comments about potential players in and of course nothing conrete in yet but I fancy us to be looking at Jake Cooper, out of contract and rumoured to be on £10k a week, if it was a case of Helander out, Cooper in, would folk be happy? I have no idea how he has been performing this season and apparently Beale said he is not on his radar but it screams the kind of signing we would make.

42 minutes ago, FlippinEck said:

A lot being made over Beale's comments about potential players in and of course nothing conrete in yet but I fancy us to be looking at Jake Cooper, out of contract and rumoured to be on £10k a week, if it was a case of Helander out, Cooper in, would folk be happy? I have no idea how he has been performing this season and apparently Beale said he is not on his radar but it screams the kind of signing we would make.

If helander is indeed gone then aye we need another centre half as souttar is one sore finger away from another 6 months out no doubt 

50 minutes ago, FlippinEck said:

When Porteous and Hendry are preferred to Cooper in the Scotland set-up, it doesn't generate a lot of confidence, even if it is only Clarke's opinion.

It seems like we have been linked with him forever. I would prefer a fit Helander, but I expect he will be playing in Sweden next year.

17 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

When Porteous and Hendry are preferred to Cooper in the Scotland set-up, it doesn't generate a lot of confidence, even if it is only Clarke's opinion.

It seems like we have been linked with him forever. I would prefer a fit Helander, but I expect he will be playing in Sweden next year.

Are you confusing him with Liam Cooper? I also would prefer a fit Helander but I think it's maybe time to let him go now.

On 24/03/2023 at 17:51, graeme_4 said:

And he’s been shit for 280 of those minutes. Absolutely done as a player for us.

Surely we’ve learned our lesson from giving Davis and McGregor new deals. 

McGregor and Davis were given new contracts and expected to be starters

2 hours ago, FlippinEck said:

He's a player we seem constantly linked with so wouldn't be surprised if we brought him in although I'm not sure he'll get in the team ahead of Davies,Souttar or Goldson 

1 hour ago, The Specky Liar said:

McGregor and Davis were given new contracts and expected to be starters

I’m sure Davis was never expected to be anything else but a squad player knowing who was brought in and who was recovering. His one year extension was more about backup.  

On 24/03/2023 at 15:40, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think Arfield has been a really good servant for us but he’s 34 years old and has played 283 minutes since Beale came in.  It’s time for him to move on. 

Arfield has been good as an impact player from the bench.  I'd have no problem giving him an extended contract.  34 isn't old these days.

49 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

He's a player we seem constantly linked with so wouldn't be surprised if we brought him in although I'm not sure he'll get in the team ahead of Davies,Souttar or Goldson 

He plays on the left side for Millwall and is a big guy.  I'd rather have someone of his size than Davies.  Assuming Cooper has ability of course.