Transfers, rumours, wants etc

RoboBearToo

The squad is quite heavy as it is. Ironic really giving our injury issues. Realistically at least 8 from the current squad should move on in the summer. I doubt Souttar can be relied on to be injury free, Helander will never be seen again, Sands probably back to NY, so at least 2 CBs should be our first priority 

Just now, Madina said:

The squad is quite heavy as it is. Ironic really giving our injury issues. Realistically at least 8 from the current squad should move on in the summer. I doubt Souttar can be relied on to be injury free, Helander will never be seen again, Sands probably back to NY, so at least 2 CBs should be our first priority 

Of the current squad there are McGregor, Helander, Arfield, Davis, Kent, Morelos and Jack all out of contract. Sands and Tillman’s loans come to an end and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the likes of Kamara, Scott Wright and Barisic move on. 

In terms of CBs, with Souttar, Goldson, King and Davies already here, I’d be stunned if we signed two in the summer. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Of the current squad there are McGregor, Helander, Arfield, Davis, Kent, Morelos and Jack all out of contract. Sands and Tillman’s loans come to an end and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the likes of Kamara, Scott Wright and Barisic move on. 

In terms of CBs, with Souttar, Goldson, King and Davies already here, I’d be stunned if we signed two in the summer. 

I honestly wouldnt be suprised to see McGregor and Davis get a 1 year deal. I hope not but I wouldnt put it past the club. 

Souttar and Davies seem to be permanently injured so we face a season of Goldson and King if nobody is brought in. I'd hope we'd sign at least one new CB 

1 minute ago, Madina said:

I honestly wouldnt be suprised to see McGregor and Davis get a 1 year deal. I hope not but I wouldnt put it past the club. 

Souttar and Davies seem to be permanently injured so we face a season of Goldson and King if nobody is brought in. I'd hope we'd sign at least one new CB 

Davies has played in as many games as he’s missed for us so far. 

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We absolutely need that sort of turnover this season as well.

I can see a couple of the soon to be out of contract players signing back on, but we need a refresh and while i can see Arfield staying for another season, i can see McGregor and Davis leaving, and i think Jack will stay. 

Centre half as you say we don't need or be able to strengthen. A new goalie and central midfielder / replacement for Kent and Morelos if they go. 

I also think some other fringe players will need to leave as well in order to free up some much needed wages and to provide more  opportunities for King / Devine / McCann et al. 

31 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

A goalkeeper is our first priority. It was our first priority last summer aswell but we just completely ignored it.

McGregor came on at the end of the cup final to wave us off on our summer holidays 

This 100%

I was genuinely surprised that we didn't go for a goalkeeper in the off-season despite it being an area we were absolutely screaming to be upgraded for well over two years.

Resigning McGregor wasn't the play, should never have been.

2 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

We absolutely need that sort of turnover this season as well.

I can see a couple of the soon to be out of contract players signing back on, but we need a refresh and while i can see Arfield staying for another season, i can see McGregor and Davis leaving, and i think Jack will stay. 

Centre half as you say we don't need or be able to strengthen. A new goalie and central midfielder / replacement for Kent and Morelos if they go. 

I also think some other fringe players will need to leave as well in order to free up some much needed wages and to provide more  opportunities for King / Devine / McCann et al. 

Can probably add McLaughlin too since he’s never getting the number one spot back. 

38 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

A goalkeeper is our first priority. It was our first priority last summer aswell but we just completely ignored it.

McGregor came on at the end of the cup final to wave us off on our summer holidays 

Yeh he doesn’t have the ability to get off the line now. That Porteous header was about 2 yards inside our goal area box. A decent/younger keeper probably comes and punches that away. 

We’ve lost so many goals from set pieces this season with teams able to cross the ball so much closer to the goal.

32 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Yeh he doesn’t have the ability to get off the line now. That Porteous header was about 2 yards inside our goal area box. A decent/younger keeper probably comes and punches that away. 

We’ve lost so many goals from set pieces this season with teams able to cross the ball so much closer to the goal.

Very few keepers are stupid enough to rush out and get blocked trying to get a hand ton crosses in that area.Those that do usually end up with egg on their faces.Our best keepers recently, Goram and Klos Never left their line at corners.The last keeper who would do that was Chris Woods in the eighties.

Our problem at set pieces is setting up the way we do, slow reactions and poor concentration from defenders who cannot impose themselves physically.

27 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

Very few keepers are stupid enough to rush out and get blocked trying to get a hand ton crosses in that area.Those that do usually end up with egg on their faces.Our best keepers recently, Goram and Klos Never left their line at corners.The last keeper who would do that was Chris Woods in the eighties.

Our problem at set pieces is setting up the way we do, slow reactions and poor concentration from defenders who cannot impose themselves physically.

I like to see a goalie who will command his area. I know what you mean with regards to our previous goalies in that they never rushed the box, but they did come and take crosses occasionally. 

I agree that big issue we have with the current squad is that we don't have the imposing centre halves that the Goalie and Klos had. They had defenders infront of them who would drop deep and head everything away from the penalty box.

We don't have a Gough, Amoruso, or even a Dave McPherson in this squad, and i think that is hurting us as much as the goalkeeping position.

31 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

Combination. Definitely don’t have a lot of height in the team. Especially with Goldson out. 

But every keeper comes out to some extent especially with the protection they get now. True that Klos and McGregor even in their prime have never been ones to come out a lot. But they would still own 4-5 yards. McGregor now is glued to his line. And we don’t have a tall pillar. So teams are scoring from headers 4 yards from goal off low crosses.

Thats exponentially easier than scoring from 8-10 yards out. 

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

One of the most bizarre decisions I can remember in thinking a League One standard goalkeeper was going to be good enough to be our starting goalie

Nothing personal against McLaughlin but clear as day he was never going to be good enough